Comments

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Have a good nights sleep xx
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi Chandelier
    Like you I don't always post about debt and saving and use my diary as a brain-dump to get things out and written down. It is also nice when good folks come on and just say "Hey, you're doing great!".
    BTW
    You ARE doing great :D
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Hidden and UncannyScot. :)

Well it's the dreaded Monday morning. Normally I do not mind them but I'm still tired from yesterday and I've somehow overslept longer then I wanted to.

Usually I get myself up a good hour and a half before I set off from work so I can wake up properly. Not today apparently :(

Today should be a NSD. I've nothing planned. The boy starts his first session at beavers tonight. He's really excited. I'll most likely have to pay for his uniform in the future. I'm glad he's wanting to do it as he's keen to earn some badges lol.

I've also been told that his grandparents will buy his next pair of ice skates for his birthday. That takes the pressure off me a bit.

I don't actually know what to buy the boy for his birthday. He doesn't actually need anything and he's not asked for anything. What do you get for a soon to be 7 year old? He's got all the usual bike, scooter etc. When I asked him the other day he said he wanted a glockenspiel :rotfl:.. that was probably because we were on the merry go round and he saw one there lol.

The boy is actually going away for his birthday with his dad's side of the family. I don't think we are actually doing much. I've said no parties this year but I think I'll pay for him and a couple of friends to go somewhere.. There's a new climbing place near us that looks brilliant.

Anyhow I best get ready for work.

Happy Monday everyone;).
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Happy Monday and I hope you feel a bit more human later.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Happy Monday and I hope you feel a bit more human later.

From me too x
  • Chandelier.
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm starting to slowly become more human as the day passes... I was like a zombie this morning :rotfl:
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Morning Chandelier - glad you're feeling more human! I'm definitely not a morning person and it takes me a while to become functional so I feel your pain.

Here's a brain dump of birthday presents that we have got my nephew the past few years (he's 9 now):
    - Lego (he loves it!)
    - A ticket to see the motocross performers when they come to our local arena (my son went too and loved it)
    - Board games
    - A slushy drink maker (I thought it was a fad, but he has used it loads)
    - New football boots and goals for the garden

Maybe taking a wander around a toy shop would help? Give you some inspiration!

I felt the same this year with my 2 year old. Because I have two boys and they're only two years apart, it's hard to buy my youngest anything because his brother already has most things! He got a sand and water table and a soft toy and was delighted.

In terms of taking him and a couple of friends away, i think that's a great idea - cinema, bowling, go-karting, amusements, indoor trampolining, climbing wall... these things all go down well and don't need to cost a fortune.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't forget ebay and local facebook selling pages for Beaver uniforms. They only need them for a little while and so often kids join and then hate it so you can often pick up pristine jumpers for next to nothing. Also the group may even have a stock of second hand jumpers. Best if you can find one where the child wasn't bothered about badges so you won't have to do a lot of unpicking - and avoid any that have had badges wundawebbed or glued on as you'll never get them off.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£330.00 (66%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£062.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Chandelier.
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for the ideas JoJo. I'll be sure to look into these. Boy has lots of lego and is forever playing. I think my mum would go mad if I got him more lol. He enjoys sorting out the pieces too :rotfl:.

Joey I don't have to worry about costs of uniform now. The boys Nanny (his dads side) went out and bought it him without me knowing. She helps out alot and dotes on the boy. It's the same with school uniform costs, she always pays half. He had a great time at beavers anyway.

So today has been a busy but wonderful day at work. It really makes a difference when you are fully staffed and have a good team to work with. I only had 2x 10hr shift booked for this week but I asked the manager if any more shifts going and she's given me an extra 10hr. That totals up my working week to 30 hours :j. I've previously mentioned I wanted to cut my hours back and I am managing this through doing bank shifts for now. If a permanent job comes up where I am then I'm going to apply for it :).

One thing that has tickled me that I found in the boys room.... I'm a list maker and he often sees me write lists on a daily basis.. he'd only gone and wrote down his whole activities for the day in list format :rotfl::rotfl:.

The boy also got an award today at school. His nanny, dad and dads girlfriend went to watch. They've sent me pictures and apparently his teacher made a big fuss over him and how he's a lovely boy to teach and to never change. He apparently never let's things get to him when they don't go as planned. He is so resilient. I love him to pieces.

Anyhow, I'm currently sat in the garden chilling out with a cuppa. I feel so relaxed and settled. Things seem to be going right at the moment. I'm not sure what else could make me happier. I'm finally getting into a routine with everything and I'm settling down.

For the first time in I don't know how many years, I feel normal and optimistic about the future.

Have a good night everyone :D
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like you had a good day. You must be so proud of your son, it sounds like you have done a wonderful job with him .

Well done on the extra hours , but don't tire yourself out .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure