Lumina's leap towards a brighter future

Comments

• PennyJar
    PennyJar Posts: 114 Forumite
    Hey Lumina,

Hope your well and dear OH...was thinking what about porridge pots from Aldi (39p each) which I think are a lot nicer than the Alpen/Quaker Oats pots? Really filling and quick and easy to make (you only need to add boiled water from kettle) plus they're really filling too.

Also you could always get 'yellow sticker' reduced bread loaf (I had a massive malt loaf for 3p last week Asda and its still fresh today) and do a couple of slices of toast too if he fancied something extra.

So brekkie per day - 39p/40p

PennyJar :p
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • PennyJar
    PennyJar Posts: 114 Forumite
    P.s just re-read my post...apologies for stating the obvious lol ...as if you've never heard of porridge pots before lol i'll put it down to the Welsh valley culture in me coming through....just ignore me if I get too carried away!!

Haha
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • Hi Lumina and welcome!
    Love the name.

Are you somewhere rural - can you get eggs from a farm? Ours are £2.50 for thirty. Saves a fortune.
  • Lumina
    Lumina Posts: 35 Forumite
    Hi Lumina and welcome!
    Love the name.

Are you somewhere rural - can you get eggs from a farm? Ours are £2.50 for thirty. Saves a fortune.

Wow, that sounds great. We currently pay £1.35 for 6 eggs. We live in the countryside but I wouldn't say it's rural... I'll try and find somewhere that sells eggs a bit cheaper :)
    PennyJar wrote: »
    Hey Lumina,

Hope your well and dear OH...was thinking what about porridge pots from Aldi (39p each) which I think are a lot nicer than the Alpen/Quaker Oats pots? Really filling and quick and easy to make (you only need to add boiled water from kettle) plus they're really filling too.

Also you could always get 'yellow sticker' reduced bread loaf (I had a massive malt loaf for 3p last week Asda and its still fresh today) and do a couple of slices of toast too if he fancied something extra.

So brekkie per day - 39p/40p

PennyJar :p

I love porridge :j I normally buy a 1kg bag and then use 1 cup of oats and 2 of water, stir + boil it quickly. I think it costs about 5p :) but OH thinks porridge is vile & would rather go hungry...

August update to follow.
  • Lumina
    August's targets were:
    - [STRIKE]have homemade lunch 4 out of 5 days a week[/STRIKE] worked well, but forgot to include coffees etc...
    - [STRIKE]track food spending and stick to meal plan most days[/STRIKE] :)
    - [STRIKE]TT works really well and we don't seem to miss the money[/STRIKE] even small OPs will make a difference in the long run!
    - find 2nd hand pram for LO - we were about to buy one but then found out it would be too wide for our car,drive and front door... we might leave this one until LO arrives and buy a sling for the first month or two
    - use any underspend from Aug as OP - no underspend, went over budget by quite a bit...
    - [STRIKE]need to try UHT milk[/STRIKE] it's not too bad tbh, so will buy some more
    - [STRIKE]decide if we can reduce emergency fund by 2k to overpay[/STRIKE] decided against it, the immediate security is more important to us than clearing the mortgage slightly earlier..

August wasn't the best month financially. I had budgeted £335 for groceries and we spent £460 :eek: £135 for top up shops and £35 for work lunches :o, also had a rather expensive family lunch and ended up overspending £55 in the eating out category... feeling slightly deflated about our MFW journey and we only started 6 weeks ago... only managed about £15 in overpayments :(

I don't think we waste much food, and we buy own brand items for most things... I might change our fortnightly online delivery to weekly which might stop us going to the local shop too often. And remember ready a thread about budget meals somewhere on here, that might help me to see what we're doing wrong...

On a more positive note: OH's business went well in August *we think*, and he might be able to pay himself a small wage this month. We should know once all his expenses have been paid, but fingers crossed :)
  • Lumina
    Just a quick update:
    We changed our fortnightly online delivery to weekly and haven't been to the local shop since, which will hopefully mean that we'll be able to stick to our budget this month. :)

What's even better is that OH will be able to pay himself a wage for the first time! We had a look at August's books and he's made a decent profit. He's now also fully on board with our MFW + financial security journey and happy for me to decide how to allocate his income. It will be a mix of fixed pension contributions for OH (thinking of £500 initially) and any surplus will be split between overpayments and a savings/fun/holiday fund. I will work out the details later, because for now we've decided to treat ourselves with a nice meal and to celebrate :beer:
  • Lumina
    House renovations are coming along nicely - we're definitely making progress and sensible choices most of the time.
    I have set aside £800 for heating work so far and we should be able to save another £800 in Sept which should be enough. We decided not to get the bathroom done this year, because there are quite a few other things we'd like to do and they all seem to add up!

We'll hopefully be able to start more substantial overpayments in Jan next year, I've made a small £12.54 OP for now. :)

Targets for next few months
    • meet a few IFAS for OH pension
    • put OH wages into savings until Jan 2017
    • stick to meal plan
  • Hi Lumina, sounds like this month has been a better month for you :)
    Well done on the overpayments!

If your OH doesn't like porridge would he eat flapjacks if you made them in advance? I've made various fruity flapjacks using either *ldi super 6 fruit, fruit that's going a bit dodge in the fruit bowl or ys fruit I've nabbed (like spiced plum flapjacks). I serve them with a big spoon of full fat Greek yogurt (you can even heat the flapjack in microwave for a warm brekkie) :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Lumina
    Hi Lumina, sounds like this month has been a better month for you :)
    Well done on the overpayments!

If your OH doesn't like porridge would he eat flapjacks if you made them in advance? I've made various fruity flapjacks using either *ldi super 6 fruit, fruit that's going a bit dodge in the fruit bowl or ys fruit I've nabbed (like spiced plum flapjacks). I serve them with a big spoon of full fat Greek yogurt (you can even heat the flapjack in microwave for a warm brekkie) :D

Thanks Kittenkirst, that's a good idea! We recently bought some granola bars with berries and pumpkin seeds that were rather tasty. I'll try and make my own next week :)
  • Lumina
    Just went through our finances from September and it went much better than August! We only overspent by £15 which is much better than the £215 last month... I know it's still not in budget, but we never had one and always just bought what we liked so I'm happy about the improvement :beer:

Targets for today:
    Submit meter readings
    Switch broadband provider

I also found out that I got a small payrise which means that I can start to make a regular overpayment each month without cutting back :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure