Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Comments

• Hi, flew with Delta Airlines in Dec 2013. Tulsa to Atlanta then London then Manchester. Initial delay of over 2hrs then mounted up to an 11 hour delay. Have contacted airline and got a reply from KLM as they handle customer care for Delta. I have been offered £52 cash to reimburse a new train ticket, phone call, and meal. They also offered a £75 voucher. Is this as much as I am entitled to and should I accept?
  • It was Delta Airlines Tulsa to Atlanta and Atlanta to London, then Virgin for London to Manchester
  • Oh sorry forgot about the time:

Tulsa to Atlanta - delay of over 2 hours - delta
    Atlanta to London - delay of almost 5 hours - delta
    London to Manchester delay of over 4 hours - virgin
  • Thanks for your advice. I did question it with KLM who have kindly offered an additional £50 voucher on top of their original offer so I will accept.
  • I have followed some of the advice on this forum and contacted KLM to initiate a claim for a 3 hour delayed flight out of Schiphol. They have tried to wriggle out of paying with the following response;

'The flight concerned was delayed due to a wiring repair on the aircraft. A technical issue like this, that is encountered unexpectedly, which presents itself beyond our scope of influence and is a threat to flight safety, can be regarded as an extraordinary circumstance and therefore is not one here there is an entitlement to compensation under EU regulations.'

Is this really an extraordinary circumstance or down to poor aircraft maintenance/lack of spare fleet capacity, etc and do you think I would be able to take this any further?

I am completely underwhelmed by their offer 'As a gesture of goodwill, I have credited 5,000 each to your Flying Blue accounts.'

Thanks.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have a bit of a read of the FAQs in post number 2 on the first page of this thread chunkiedunc
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Is this really an extraordinary circumstance or down to poor aircraft maintenance/lack of spare fleet capacity, etc and do you think I would be able to take this any further?

I am completely underwhelmed by their offer 'As a gesture of goodwill, I have credited 5,000 each to your Flying Blue accounts.'

Thanks.

I am slightly underwhelmed by your question, to be honest.

Wallentin gives you the legal test for when technical problems can be "extraordinary". Have a read: it's what I and many others have had to do. Alternatively, read the FAQs on page one, lovingly constructed by helpful people - and to often ignored by others.

The strict answer to your question, incidentally, is "It could be." Don't imagine that helps much though!
  • acbleeds
    acbleeds Posts: 28 Forumite
    Hi

I think the answer is no, but I just wanted to get clarification...

In January 2010 we flew back from Nairobi to Heathrow and were delayed at Nairobi for 11.5 hours due to a technical fault with the plane. The flight was with Kenya Airways.

Even though they're part of KLM, I assume this means I would not be able to claim compensation? It would be nice, the delay meant I had to buy a new connecting train ticket costing nearly £100 when back in the UK.

Thanks for any advice!
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    acbleeds wrote: »
    Hi

I think the answer is no, but I just wanted to get clarification...

In January 2010 we flew back from Nairobi to Heathrow and were delayed at Nairobi for 11.5 hours due to a technical fault with the plane. The flight was with Kenya Airways.

Even though they're part of KLM, I assume this means I would not be able to claim compensation? It would be nice, the delay meant I had to buy a new connecting train ticket costing nearly £100 when back in the UK.

Thanks for any advice!

You're right unfortunately: no compensation on a non-EU airline leaving a non-EU airport.
  • Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone thought we would be able to claim for our delay back to Manchester from Bangkok last April?

We flew from Bangkok to Paris with Air France/KLM on flight AF165 - this set of on time but landed 40mins late. This in turn (coupled with the hurrendous security at CDG airport) meant we missed our connecting flight on to Manchester. There was no space left on the next flight out of Paris so they put us up in a hotel overnight, finally flying back to Manchester the following afternoon...

Would we be able to claim in these circumstances? And if so could we claim for the full flight (booked on a through ticket) or just the Paris - manchester leg?

Many thanks in advance,
    Rhiannon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family