PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving boxes

Options

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    marvin wrote: »
    Sadly my local group (Birmingham) has 14 items on offer none of which are boxes.

But a good idea none the less.

Ask.

It's a simple ask - people often keep the boxes they've used because it's too much effort taking them to the tip and they don't fit in the bin.
    It's not expensive thing either - freecycle wants ads round by mean read like a posh toys list sometimes.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 September 2009 at 8:29PM
    Options
    We are moving shortly, and Ive been collecting the babnana boxes at the end of the tills in Morrisons. Very sturdy for packing, with handles too!

I just cut two rectangles from the cardboard inner and cellotape them to the inside of each box lid, so there are no holes top and bottom. Add a couple of lengths of parcel tape across the bottom for heavy items just to be sure.

I read a fantastic tip on here a few weeks ago, to number your boxes (on the side so you can see the number even when stacked), and write on the box which room you want it taken into.

Then write in a little note book a numbered list of each box and exactly what is in each box, much better than trying to scrawl it on the side of the box!

Im up to box 47 today!!!:eek:

The banana boxes are glued very well though, and can not be flatpacked, so perhaps not ideal for you.....but very MSE!:rotfl:

When (fingers crossed) we have moved, im storing some for my mum (who is also hoping to move soonish) and I'll freecycle the rest on to someone else whos moving, so they can carry on being recycled.

Wilkos have some really good home brand wide parcel tape, cellotape and white and red 'fragile' tape too! They also have a set which includes a 'tape gun' which would make life easier for lots of packing!..

http://www.onsvc.com/images/Office%20Imp.%20Tape%20Gun.jpg
  • dobbie82
    Options
    go to a hotel/pub/cafe and ask nicely for some empty chip boxes.

I'm using Brakes chip boxes and they are really strong, and have cut out handles.
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    marvin wrote: »
    Sadly my local group (Birmingham) has 14 items on offer none of which are boxes.

But a good idea none the less.

Marvin the Nuneaton/bedworth group has someone with cardboard home moving boxes. I was looking at it for the same thing just yesterday! only 2 junctions away on the M6 so could save you a few quid (and save the planet :T)
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Banana boxes are brillliant for moving and storage...we have a friendly local greengrocer who gets through a fair few and they hate breaking them up because it's hard work.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do ask on freecycle. I have asked twice in the past and been provided with proper professional moving boxes. It might not be the sort of thing people think to offer but if they have will give to you.

They are flat. If they aren't you just remove the parcel tape - you're going to have to invest on plenty of that anyway!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • peppa-pig
    Options
    I asked on my local Freecycle and received about 50 large cardboard boxes that a lady had purchased from a professional removal company. They had only been used once ad had cost her a fortune! They are fantastic and strong.
    Officially BR at 2.10pm on 6th May 2009, ED 7th December 2009

BSC number 256. Chairperson of The May 2009 Bankruptcy & Debt Relief Order Club!

It's now time to move on and enjoy life again.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    Yup another vote for Morrisons ,I asked for a few boxes and came away with loads !!
    the banana boxes are great for small things like DVDs,cds etc
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    last year i asked at sainsburys for boxes and went back a few days later to find they'd put aside a dozen for me! they were a mix of fruit and crisp boxes. i wasnt moving, but they were very helpful for whatever i was up to.
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • GrammarGirl
    Options
    GrammarGirl you truly are a MoneySavingExpert! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that *blushes*. Martin will have me kicked off here if I don't shape up

Why thank you B&T, although I think my bank manager would disagree! :o:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure