Cheap car hire article discussion

Options

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    keypads wrote: »
    It is now 9 weeks on and I am still trying to get documentation from the hire car company (it was a Thrifty car but they have told me to go to Hertz for the documentation) to send to the insurance company following an accident in a hire car. Following earlier advice I contacted the European Car Rental Conciliation Service (ECRCS) but they can't help as the car was rented from Geneva Airport, Switzerland, and therefore not in the EU.

The excess insurance (I purchased from worldwideinsure) seems totally useless unless the accident documentation is supplied by the hire car company, but their customer services have either not responded or have referred me elsewhere which has ended up in another black hole.

Has anyone ever successfully claimed on hire car excess insurance for a car hired in Europe? At the moment it looks like I've taken out hire car excess insurance which is impossible to claim against when I need to.

Any advice on how to successfully claim on excess insurance would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Seriously, how has it got this far? Dispute the charge with your credit card provider until the company supply you with an invoice for the damage.

Did you drop the car off after hours?
    Why did you not get paperwork when you dropped the car off?
    This is not an Excess Insurance problem. This is a you failing to obtain any paperwork issue. At the time or subsequently.

Have you actually called them? 0041 22 717 80 80 or 001-918-669-2168

Info from Worldwide Locations
    What happens if the car is damaged, stolen, or in an accident?
    If the car is stolen or has been involved in an accident, first call the local police or appropriate law enforcement agency. Next, call the nearest office of the rental car company, give them your rental agreement or confirmation number and explain what has happened. If it's after hours, Thrifty customers always can call toll free to 1-800-THRIFTY (1-800-847-4389). You'll be led through the procedure to get you going again. Finally, call your own auto insurance company with information on the incident. Be sure to check with the rental company on their breakdown policy before you drive away.

Accidents and vehicle theft aren't something we like to think about, especially on a trip, but they can happen even to the most careful driver. Optional waivers (as outlined above) can be purchased to reduce or eliminate your financial exposure which could include the full value of the vehicle and lost rental revenue during its replacement period.

Be careful not to violate your car rental agreement by driving while intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance, allowing an unauthorized personal to drive the vehicle, leaving the windows, doors or trunk unlocked, or leaving the keys in the ignition when parked. If the agreement if violated, it makes the waiver void. Be sure to familiarize yourself with all of the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

Remember that, as the renter, you are liable for all parking and moving traffic violations, both domestic and international, so please drive safely and observe all ordinances.
  • javajim
    javajim Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    All this talk about getting ripped off by car hire firms in Spain is quite worrying.
    So which ones are 'safe' and can be recommended?
    We will be going in September and reading posts it seems to be better to book early.
    Thanks in advance
    JJ
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The "safe" ones are always twice as expensive as the cheap ones but will nearly always work out cheaper than the cheap ones......i would look on a expat website for car hire info,or at least google your choices before booking.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    javajim wrote: »
    All this talk about getting ripped off by car hire firms in Spain is quite worrying.
    So which ones are 'safe' and can be recommended?
    We will be going in September and reading posts it seems to be better to book early.
    Thanks in advance
    JJ

Book direct and try to find a suitable Promo code.

Don't just look for the cheapest of the cheap, as you will often get shafted in one way or another.
    Purchase independent car hire excess insurance.
  • javajim
    javajim Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks antenna and NiftyDigits for your answers.
    I will look for a promo code. Any one know a good one?
  • keypads
    keypads Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seriously, how has it got this far? Dispute the charge with your credit card provider until the company supply you with an invoice for the damage.

Did you drop the car off after hours?
    Why did you not get paperwork when you dropped the car off?
    This is not an Excess Insurance problem. This is a you failing to obtain any paperwork issue. At the time or subsequently.

Have you actually called them? 0041 22 717 80 80 or 001-918-669-2168

I have all the paperwork I could get at the time of the accident. The paperwork required by the insurance company is:

1. A complete damage report from the workshop
    2. An invoice showing how much money the repair cost

Neither of these can be obtained at the time of the accident or when dropping off the car, as they can only be obtained from the workshop that does the repair some time after the accident.

Yes I have contacted Swiss customer services, and at one point thought they could supply me with the paperwork required, but they told me I have to send an email to an address known as First Notice of Loss department and they don't have a telephone number. Emails have bounced around between different departments but at no point have I come close to securing the documentation which was not available at the time of the accident but is required by the insurance company.

If this goes on much longer I will contact the credit card company, but of course I willingly paid the excess thinking the documentation I had (and I could get no more documentation) would be enough for the insurance company, but the insurance company require much more documentation than can be obtained either at the time of the accident or when dropping off the car.

As this is my first time trying to claim on an excess policy I wonder whether my problems are unique, or whether anyone else was successful in making a claim on hire car excess insurance.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    keypads wrote: »
    I have all the paperwork I could get at the time of the accident. The paperwork required by the insurance company is:

1. A complete damage report from the workshop
    2. An invoice showing how much money the repair cost

Neither of these can be obtained at the time of the accident or when dropping off the car, as they can only be obtained from the workshop that does the repair some time after the accident.

Yes I have contacted Swiss customer services, and at one point thought they could supply me with the paperwork required, but they told me I have to send an email to an address known as First Notice of Loss department and they don't have a telephone number. Emails have bounced around between different departments but at no point have I come close to securing the documentation which was not available at the time of the accident but is required by the insurance company.

If this goes on much longer I will contact the credit card company, but of course I willingly paid the excess thinking the documentation I had (and I could get no more documentation) would be enough for the insurance company, but the insurance company require much more documentation than can be obtained either at the time of the accident or when dropping off the car.

As this is my first time trying to claim on an excess policy I wonder whether my problems are unique, or whether anyone else was successful in making a claim on hire car excess insurance.

Looked at the T&C:

The supporting documentation Claim Ez will require to
    consider your claim is as follows;
    a. a copy of your certificate of insurance.
    b. a copy of your car rental agreement.
    c. a copy of your charge receipt (if separate from your
    car rental agreement).
    d. a copy of the Law Enforcement/Police report if;
    i. you are involved in an accident with a third party, or
    ii. its required by law in the country where the incident
    occurs.
    e. a copy of the car rental company’s accident damage
    or breakdown report which shows the detail of each of
    the costs incurred.

f. itemised invoices/receipts/other documents confirming
    the amount you have paid in respect of accidental
    damage or loss for which the car rental company
    holds you responsible.
    g. a copy of your credit card statement showing payment
    of the damages claimed, including details of the
    exchange rate applied.
    h. a copy of the driving licence of the person involved in
    the accident (the driver at the time of the accident).[/QUOTE]

That is not a workshop report. Just a damage report that they give you before you leave.

Other policies word it differently.

For example:
    Renters' copy of the Vehicle Rental Company accident damage report

So you should have received that before leaving the rental office.

You are not expected to chase the Rental company for a workshop report.

It is certainly not in the T&C.

It seems that you left without this paperwork, perhaps expecting that the insurance company would blindly pay without a damage report and invoice.

What paperwork do you actually have? Do you have the Damage Report and an invoice showing what damage was caused, together with the estimated cost?

When I claimed many years ago, I made sure that I had these details. I didn't worry about the amounts, as the insurance company can chase the company up for any exorbitant claims. But I made sure that I had something to show the insurance company as to what hire company would charge me for the damage.
    I remember having a specific amount on my invoice before leaving.
  • keesha14
    Options
    Need to hire car at reus airport but dont know who to trust can anyone help
  • NSG666
    NSG666 Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keesha14 wrote: »
    Need to hire car at reus airport but dont know who to trust can anyone help

Not sure what you mean by 'trust' but I've been hiring cars in Spain and Portugal for the past 10 years without a problem. Most of the time I've gone via a booking agent and have used Auto Europe (my favourite), Holiday Autos, Economy Car Rentals and a couple of direct bookings that I've forgotten. I've been fortunate never to have had an accident and I've never been accused of causing damage which was already there.

This forum is littered with hire car horror stories but if you read and take heed of the advice in the MSE article you are doing all you can to protect yourself. (I'm not criticising posters who have had problems by the way)

Take photos of the condition of the car on collection, always check the spare wheel as I've found flats on two occasions, be aware that if you have arranged your own excess insurance the hire company will still block c1200 euros on your credit card so make sure you have space on it.

Book early with free cancellation and keep checking: last year I booked 12 days from Madrid at an initial cost of c.200 euro but as prices fell I kept rebooking and cancelling and ended up paying c.130 euro including excess insurance. This year I've done the same from Barcelona.
    Sorry I can't think of anything profound, clever or witty to write here.
  • MartinLewisMoneyShowitv1
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just to let you know, the Martin Lewis Money Show is coming to the Sheffield Meadowhall Shopping Centre on 14th and 15th July as well as the Manchester Arndale Shopping Centre on the 17th and 18th July.

One of the areas (along with lots of other things) Martin will be discussing is car hire abroad and excess insurance rip-offs. If any of you have questions then please get in touch in advance!

If you have any questions please email: itvmlshow@itv.com. We would love to see as many of you as possible at the events!

Thanks,
    Mark - MLMS team.
    Approved Journalist
    I’m a journalist. MSE has given permission for me to post asking for people to help with a feature I'm working on. You can see my name on the Companies/organisations/journalists with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my individual posts or employer by MSE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback