Boosting Mobile Phone Signal

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    nadynn wrote: »
    I live in the valley area where the signal is constantly weak. To boost the signal I've been using myamplifiers.com . No more dropped calls, stuck text messages, slow internet, and spotty reception.
    After spamming random threads, nadynn finally finds a relevant thread. Take care though :-
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.myamplifiers.com
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    The annoying thing is that other people in the house with 'decent phones' have no trouble - different networks as well
    In that case I would say that the answer is pretty obvious.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »

Indeed. In our last house we changed to Vodafone for the sole reason that they offered the SureSignal.
  • anon_private
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »

My old phone sometimes receives a decent signal in the house. I wondered if there was a homebrew fix that would increase the number of bars.

Someone on YouTube had success by using silver paper at the back of the phone, but it did not help me

The antenna appears to be a solid state device at the bottom of the phone, but I don't know how it works
  • anon_private
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    try propping it up on the window..........especially upstairs

This can help
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nadynn wrote: »
    I live in the valley area where the signal is constantly weak. To boost the signal I've been using myamplifiers.com . No more dropped calls, stuck text messages, slow internet, and spotty reception.

Aren't they illegal in the UK?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Aren't they illegal in the UK?

Yes they are illegal unless provided by the network.

For the cost of one of those, you could buy an up to date phone with additional frequency bands. You might benefit from an up to date SIM too.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Is there any reason you want to keep that particular phone ? A newer one is likely to be better in all respects, and cost almost nothing. It might not be that the signal is weak ; but that the older electronics aren't as good at filtering out all the extra RF noise, that is being broadcast since it was designed.

How about Bluetooth hands-free, so the phone itself can be : higher, nearer to a window etc. ?

P.S. One day, your phone will suddenly stop working, and if you aren't ready for that, it will be very inconvenient.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    I have no signal inside my house. I bought a Vodafone sure signal for £69 and whilst I resent paying for their shortcomings (and was unsuccessful at persuading them to lower the price) it was, in the end, worth it to resolve the problem for two phones in the house.

Remember a sure signal needs a 3G phone, I was given one but it did not help me with my work phone (I often WFH). Until they upgraded me to a more modern one.

So with a 2G phone your options seem to be.

1. Get a new phone.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    My Samsung Galaxy S2 has one. It was released only 6 years ago.

It looks like the S3, S4, and S5 (released 3 years ago) all have external aerial ports. Maybe more recent ones do too, but I can't be bothered to check! :-P

You sure, I have an s2 and I never noticed one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure