Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi Alex. We don't want teachers who NEED the job, but those who will do a GOOD job.

Sounds like your folks are stomping on your boundaries again.

I sincerely hope I will be able to do a good job and will certainly try to. However, if it transpires I cannot, I would not be looking for a role within a school.

They are. :(
    badmemory wrote: »
    Just to add to what Karmacat is saying - stress (if your Dad is showing early signs of dementia) is very bad for people with dementia. Your mother would be far better getting him a book of puzzles to do to keep his brain active rather than testing him. There are some puzzle magazines (back numbers now as they are no longer published unfortunately) which are very maths or logic based rather than crosswords if he would prefer that. Try looking at 'Tough Puzzles' as they are doing some of the back numbers - try the puzzler dot com website if you think he may be interested.

Also if he has loved doing maths type things since being young that will not be what he forgets. He is more likely to forget how to get to the local petrol station.

Of course, if you really wanted to put the cat among the pigeons, you could suggest that she gets him to play fizz buzz with her! For those that don't know - you take turns in counting from 1 upwards and say fizz for anything divisible by 3 & buzz for 5.

My father enjoys all types of puzzles / crosswords. :) He spent a lot of time working through puzzle books a few years ago when he wasn't physically well enough to go out much.

I have not played fizz buzz but will be doing with my son / possibly at school as a starter / fun type activity! Thank you, badmemory. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Hi Alex, I haven't been following but have caught up today, the bathroom sounds lovely. Re teaching and 'taking up a role'. Be selfish for the students! they deserve a dedicated, committed, caring teacher and you will be that - and lucky students who get you as a teacher. Great to hear you doing so well, your Mother sounds like she is in a terrible state, which you can neither control nor cure. Hopefully you can keep the crushing negativity away from your own, delightful, busy, loving family.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    I have not played fizz buzz but will be doing with my son / possibly at school as a starter / fun type activity! Thank you, badmemory. :)

We play a house variation on this so that anything with a three in it is also a fizz and anything with a five is a buzz - so picks up 52 etc. Ours is usually played at BBQs and involves adults and alcohol though...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do you think the funding cuts will go ahead? I have already looked on the schoolcuts website and I can't say I think the government is doing the right thing at all. My son's school would be losing out if the changes go ahead and I am somewhat concerned the school would have to close (there has been the possibility before).

It's hard to say. I know there will be phenomenal opposition but the policy existed before this last manifesto so they might try. The government lost in my former Gower constituency to a teacher who stood on an anti school cuts platform. It's supposed to rebalance finances but it's hard to find any 'winners' and the schools that stand to lose are struggling already.

In my area, your son's school would probably have closed down years ago unless it survived by the 4 x 4 factor. That's parents (usually yummy mummies) driving their children out into the villages boosting the numbers on roll artificially by parental preference.

It is a very difficult situation with your parents and I know as a loyal, caring person you won't just ignore them but do try to minimise the effects by keeping your distance and rationing the amount of time and emotional energy you give to them. It's been heart warming to see you rebuilding your immediate family unit in recent months please don't go backwards.

How far have you got with holiday plans for the summer? Do I remember correctly that you're going to go to Spain? We're off to Turkey on Tuesday for about 3 weeks. I can't wait to meet up with old friends and enjoy the sunshine.:)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday. 3. Agricultural shows x 3.
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ).
    Total Grocery Spend: £90 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: /20 - Need to get back to this.
    Meditation: 2/21. Need to also get back to this.
    Spreadsheets / Money tracking: This is happening.
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items. One needs to be the car I've been meaning to sell for months.
    Books read for pleasure: / 2
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.

Had a quiet but nice day involving walking along the river and spending the evening having a pub meal and a few drinks with my cousin and her family. Meeting up with the loved up old schoolfriend and girlfriend tomorrow lunchtime. The girlfriend has never been to Bakewell, so I'm going to take them to get a Bakewell pudding. :rotfl:
    Hi Alex, I haven't been following but have caught up today, the bathroom sounds lovely. Re teaching and 'taking up a role'. Be selfish for the students! they deserve a dedicated, committed, caring teacher and you will be that - and lucky students who get you as a teacher. Great to hear you doing so well, your Mother sounds like she is in a terrible state, which you can neither control nor cure. Hopefully you can keep the crushing negativity away from your own, delightful, busy, loving family.

Thank you. :) This reminds me, I need to write a proper bathroom update.

Not seen my parents today, it was a welcome break, to be honest.
    We play a house variation on this so that anything with a three in it is also a fizz and anything with a five is a buzz - so picks up 52 etc. Ours is usually played at BBQs and involves adults and alcohol though...

:rotfl: Do you say "fizz" or "buzz" rather than the number?
    maman wrote: »
    It's hard to say. I know there will be phenomenal opposition but the policy existed before this last manifesto so they might try. The government lost in my former Gower constituency to a teacher who stood on an anti school cuts platform. It's supposed to rebalance finances but it's hard to find any 'winners' and the schools that stand to lose are struggling already.

I had also hear about it being to rebalance finances away from being biased towards inner cities and they tried to say rural schools and those in small towns would be better off. However, the schoolcuts site seems to think practically all schools will be worse off. :(

Personally, I would like to see much more investment in education at both school, college and university level. Something I found particularly appealing in the Labour manifesto was the idea of a "National Education Service" with the aim being to provide an education provision for all.
    In my area, your son's school would probably have closed down years ago unless it survived by the 4 x 4 factor. That's parents (usually yummy mummies) driving their children out into the villages boosting the numbers on roll artificially by parental preference.

The school is so small, my son would notice a significant rise in class size if he attended my old prep school. Though not as many opportunities are available (probably as much to do with how small the school is as it being state-ran), for my son it has worked really well so far and we make up for the school not offering many ECs. If I'm honest I'm not sure where he will go next. My cousin's children are doing really well attending the local senior school but still get lots of time at home to enjoy. I'm starting to think there's a lot to be said for that.

There are a few children who don't live in the village but not many. Plenty of 4x4s owned by parents but we're talking Defenders (well, mainly those horrible Japanese things, really) rather than Range Rovers. ;)
    It is a very difficult situation with your parents and I know as a loyal, caring person you won't just ignore them but do try to minimise the effects by keeping your distance and rationing the amount of time and emotional energy you give to them. It's been heart warming to see you rebuilding your immediate family unit in recent months please don't go backwards.

How far have you got with holiday plans for the summer? Do I remember correctly that you're going to go to Spain? We're off to Turkey on Tuesday for about 3 weeks. I can't wait to meet up with old friends and enjoy the sunshine.:)

Had a much needed day off today. ;)

Not a chance I will knowingly let my marriage get into the state it was. My wife is making a genuine effort which deserves my every effort. After the conversation with her MD about work and family, she seems to have realised listening to a certain someone and being influenced to spend time outside work going out rather than coming home is not necessarily fulfilling. She has taken our counselling seriously and also actively dealing with not getting overly angry about things which don't warrant such a reaction. I'm seriously proud of her and my son is starting to enjoy time with Mummy. I think she also has thought about my father telling her she will regret her actions re. our son and acted upon it. At the moment, I can honestly say my marriage is about the best it has ever been. There's no competition or walking on eggshells. Both my wife and I think we've been through enough and this next part of our lives is going to be good. :)

Yes, going to the apartment in Spain this summer. No real plans. I know my wife wants to spend a few lazy days on the beach, so do I if I'm honest. :o

Enjoy Turkey. :) A holiday we haven't got around to taking is chartering a Turkish Gulet. My Brother-in-Law and his wife went on such a holiday when I first met Mrs. K.; she was incredibly envious. :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,046
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 6:39AM

:rotfl: Do you say "fizz" or "buzz" rather than the number?

Exactly :) So playing Suffolk lass's variation, it goes:

One, two, fizz, four, buzz, fizz, seven, eight, fizz, buzz, eleven, fizz, fizz, fourteen, fizzbuzz.

EDIT: Oh, and when LittleK starts learning languages (if he hasn't already) then play it in French, German, Spanish etc. etc.
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £106,249.36 Amount paid off: £38,895.64 (26.8%)
    Ethel's: 05/18: £99,000.00 Currently: £99,000.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Tor: 05/18: £82,500.00 Currently: £82,500.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Debt-free: 17/02/2017
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not a chance I will knowingly let my marriage get into the state it was. My wife is making a genuine effort which deserves my every effort. After the conversation with her MD about work and family, she seems to have realised listening to a certain someone and being influenced to spend time outside work going out rather than coming home is not necessarily fulfilling. She has taken our counselling seriously and also actively dealing with not getting overly angry about things which don't warrant such a reaction. I'm seriously proud of her and my son is starting to enjoy time with Mummy. I think she also has thought about my father telling her she will regret her actions re. our son and acted upon it. At the moment, I can honestly say my marriage is about the best it has ever been. There's no competition or walking on eggshells. Both my wife and I think we've been through enough and this next part of our lives is going to be good.

That is wonderful news, Alex

You are a lovely little family, God bless you all.

Take care
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    So glad to hear that things are going so well for you all now Alex, marriage is not always easy is it, but if you are both willing to work through your problems and you still love each other it may actually make you stronger. :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not a chance I will knowingly let my marriage get into the state it was. My wife is making a genuine effort which deserves my every effort. After the conversation with her MD about work and family, she seems to have realised listening to a certain someone and being influenced to spend time outside work going out rather than coming home is not necessarily fulfilling. She has taken our counselling seriously and also actively dealing with not getting overly angry about things which don't warrant such a reaction. I'm seriously proud of her and my son is starting to enjoy time with Mummy. I think she also has thought about my father telling her she will regret her actions re. our son and acted upon it. At the moment, I can honestly say my marriage is about the best it has ever been. There's no competition or walking on eggshells. Both my wife and I think we've been through enough and this next part of our lives is going to be good. :)
    :T That's great to hear you say that. I hope you're telling MrsK too!:)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday. 3. Agricultural shows x 3.
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ).
    Total Grocery Spend: £95 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: /20 - Need to get back to this.
    Meditation: 3/21.
    Spreadsheets / Money tracking: This is happening. :)
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items. One needs to be the car I've been meaning to sell for months.
    Books read for pleasure: / 2
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.
    Exactly :) So playing Suffolk lass's variation, it goes:

One, two, fizz, four, buzz, fizz, seven, eight, fizz, buzz, eleven, fizz, fizz, fourteen, fizzbuzz.

EDIT: Oh, and when LittleK starts learning languages (if he hasn't already) then play it in French, German, Spanish etc. etc.

I am teaching my son French. :) Though we won't be going to France until next year now.
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Not a chance I will knowingly let my marriage get into the state it was. My wife is making a genuine effort which deserves my every effort. After the conversation with her MD about work and family, she seems to have realised listening to a certain someone and being influenced to spend time outside work going out rather than coming home is not necessarily fulfilling. She has taken our counselling seriously and also actively dealing with not getting overly angry about things which don't warrant such a reaction. I'm seriously proud of her and my son is starting to enjoy time with Mummy. I think she also has thought about my father telling her she will regret her actions re. our son and acted upon it. At the moment, I can honestly say my marriage is about the best it has ever been. There's no competition or walking on eggshells. Both my wife and I think we've been through enough and this next part of our lives is going to be good.

That is wonderful news, Alex

You are a lovely little family, God bless you all.

Take care

Thank you, kelpie. :)
    newgirly wrote: »
    So glad to hear that things are going so well for you all now Alex, marriage is not always easy is it, but if you are both willing to work through your problems and you still love each other it may actually make you stronger. :)

Thank you, NG.

Not always easy at all. We've been through a lot together and I know a lot of couples wouldn't have got through a lot of the things my wife and I have. Going to believe Mrs. K. is right and the good times are here to stay as a make up for the years gone by. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills