Mopping up the mess - my final debt free journey!

Comments

• clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Booked a flight to Portugal today for 3 nights in September, to celebrate with my friends. It was a planned expenditure though. It's gone on my credit card but I plan to cut back (and have been cutting back) this month to ensure that the flight cost can be paid off at the end of the month, and won't accrue any extra on to my car. The flight cost €200 and my mother gave me €100 spending money for Xmas which I haven't spent yet. I also worked from home today and yesterday and am on annual leave next week for one day so that €30 commuting money that I have as well. Just need to make up another €70. I am waiting on a dental insurance payment so that should cover that. Definitely don't want to be adding to my debt.
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Love Portugal - definitely worth booking a trip - it will give you something to look forward to and focus on.
  • ramblehan wrote: »
    Love Portugal - definitely worth booking a trip - it will give you something to look forward to and focus on.

Thanks Ramblehan :)
  • Back to earth with a bang this week!

I turned 40 last week. Had 2 nights in an amazing spa and then had a party last Saturday night. It was so good, there were about 60 people there. I was on a high but feel so down this week. I don't know when my nearest and dearest will be in a room again like that :(

I am so impatient now to get paid so I can just get on with paying off the debts. OH was to get a bonus in Feb but there was an error in the project he was part of (not him thankfully) so looks like it won't be until June now. I am disappointed because it was going straight off the credit card but with any luck the credit card will be paid off by June and we can put it off the loan.
  • Have amended my signature and am now under €26k! We had to pay the balance for Disney this month so not sure that my credit card balance will go down at all. I haven't added to it though, which I am delighted about.

Next month we need to pay for flights for BIL's wedding in Oct. Balance not going down as quickly as I'd like but I am being more realistic about it this time and it is going down.

Quiet weekend planned this weekend. I have read Kon Marie and started the process so am really looking forward to getting stuck into that this weekend. So far I have 5 bin bags ready to go to the charity shop. It is far more emotional than I thought it would be, but the feeling of release getting rid of stuff is immense.
  • Still on the Kon Marie journey and it has kind of taken over to be honest. But in a good way, we've gotten rid of so much stuff already! It is also helping me be far more organised. By organising my documents I realised that we could get free family travel insurance with OH's health insurance so I've sent off for that :)

Holding off on booking flights for the wedding for the moment. Flights seem quite expensive for that time of year and esp as we are going on off-peak days so will hold out!

Am *hoping* that we can pay some more off the credit card this month. I will definitely be under €25k next month which will be great. Can't wait to get under €20k. Mustn't run before I can walk though!
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 February 2017 at 2:30PM
    Tick tock - waiting for payday! Was hoping to get under 25k but interest was applied to our loan so definitely won't be this month. Next month definitely!

Nothing really to report. Still on on the Kon Marie journey. Finding it so beneficial to our lives. Still plenty more to do but I am mainly enjoying it!

Am enjoying having the emergency spends building up. Provides a bit of a cushion. Previously I would have used it to pay off a bit of the credit card but I like having it in my savings account. This year I am going to try and pay as many bills as I can upfront. So our home insurance is due beginning March and TV licence end of March. It will mean we have more spends each month and I can direct it into savings.
  • Should be jumping for joy it's payday but I'm not. OH is €350 down due to some health insurance mix-up. Looks like that amount will be coming out next month too. It just always seems like there is something :(
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Sorry you've had bad news on the money front. I went through a phase of the same, everytime you think you're getting somewhere, something else comes up.

Keep at it, though. It won't be forever!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • JoJoC wrote: »
    Sorry you've had bad news on the money front. I went through a phase of the same, everytime you think you're getting somewhere, something else comes up.

Keep at it, though. It won't be forever!

Thanks JoJoC,

Things just keep cropping up, it's neverending. Just when I think we are making some headway then BAM, something else happens! I really wanted to get under 25k this month but at this rate we'll be struggling to get under it next month even.

Thanks for stopping by :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts