Personal Injury Advice please

I've recently had a really nasty accident whilst visiting my Union's offices for an appointment. I tripped over a very small step which was not marked as a hazard and there were no signs.

I have contacted solicitors who say I have a good claim and that my injuries were significant. However, I am now being told that the solicitors will not take the case unless I have a photograph of the step I fell over. Given how injured I was, I was hardly likely to jump up and take a photo. I have had no reason to return to this office since and, when I have enquired about taking a photo, they have (understandably) said no.

My fall was witnessed by the Trade Union Representative I was visiting, I was legitimately in the building but I am now so frustrated because I cannot get the photo and, if I can't get the photo, apparently I will be unable to make a claim.

Can anyone advise me or give me some ideas. Also, has anyone ever encountered this ridiculous question previously? I thought it was the solicitors job to sort these things out rather than me doing it for them. There is no way that the Union are going to let me in to take a photo as it is them that the case will be against as it is their premises.

As a Union member, I would normally be allowed to use their solicitors and be supported throughout the case. However, as it is against them, their solicitors would have a conflict of interest apparently (which I do understand) but they have said they will not provide me with any legal support or advice. I suspect I will end my membership very soon! I'm paying into something but cannot get the legal support it would normally give me.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ask a friend or relative to go and take the photo.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • dc61
    dc61 Posts: 43 Forumite
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Ask a friend or relative to go and take the photo.

Unfortunately it's not a public office, you can only enter by appointment and the step is upstairs in the building so very unlikely anyone would have a reason to go up there. I feel so frustrated by it all. I was hurt badly but looks like they are going to get away with their negligence.

Thanks for replying.
  • dc61
    dc61 Posts: 43 Forumite
    I!!!8217;m shocked by the silence in here. Come on, help me out here folks. Lol
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Find another solicitor that is a bit more proactive - sounds like you've got one that only wants to do bare minimum work. In a previous job I ended up accompanying a solicitor round a factory to get photos of various locations etc that were relevant to a claim.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I would bet good money that the step now has hazard tape and a warning on it, just in case somebody is not looking where they are going.
  • The onus is on you to prove your claim and provide the evidence in support. So find a way of obtaining evidence of the defect or chalk it up.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dc61 wrote: »

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Invest in a pair of glasses or contact lens if you don't already have them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure