edited 7 September 2017 at 3:58PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
British Gas

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did you switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• It doesn't say anything about standing charges, is that included in the savings or not?
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    I've never switched to BG (they were already the supplier) but did switch from them. No significant issues, but they do press for prompt payment of any outstanding amount on the final bill.
    I mean really impatient. I'd hardly got the bill, when the threatening letters started (less than 7 days between receipt) - I think I remember I got another one too even after I paid :eek:

One issue I do remember is they wanted to keep reading and changing my meter ... or at least their nominated representative did (Siemens I think)
    Siemens never responded to my letters, they just kept sending more and more threatening letters.
    I asked BG to help, and whilst they always did for arranging a meter reading, I remember with regards the 2nd change of meter they said it really was not required and they would tell Siemens that.
    Then I got another threatening letter from Siemens. I sent it to BG who said that they were wrong and Siemens were in fact right all along and the change of meter was needed again.
    I think BG did send me £50 or so by way of compensation.

No problems to contact by phone, but they will keep you hanging on (for which you are usually charged). Not much use when you do get through to their call centre.
    In the end, I always wrote to them at their executive office - I seemed to get a better response that way (except for the meter fiasco I already mentioned).
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    anfa34 wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything about standing charges, is that included in the savings or not?
    Incorrect thread?
    Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean as this thread is to give feedback on the supplier British Gas

If you mean does the comparison site include the effect of standing charges - yes they all do as well as all the other costs and discounts that make up any suppliers tariffs. :)
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I switched my electricity from EDF to BG Online Saver 5 a couple of years ago and switched the BG gas tariff at the same time. Whether EDF's or BG's fault I don't know but I supplied two readings (normal and off-peak) from my Economy 7 electricity meter and somehow the same reading was entered for both values. I was quite impressed how BG handled the matter. When I logged a complaint the one chap took ownership of the issue and rang me back when he said he would until the matter was resolved. Much better than having to start from scratch with chasing up by speaking to different agents each time of calling.

I liked the BG tariffs because with EnergySmart I could submit actual readings each month and pay for the fuel that I had actually used rather than some sort of average estimate at the whim of the supplier. I have also been very happy with the online account management.

HOWEVER, Online Saver 5 ends at the end of April and all the current tariffs require standing charges to be paid. I am a very low gas user paying around £30 per year so I am not going to stay around to pay around £90 per year in addition for standing charges. I've initiated a move to Ebico for both gas and electricity as, for my usage, its price for gas will be much lower and that for electricity much the same a BG's comparable Clear & Simple tariff.
  • If I switch to British Gas from Scottish Hydro for my electricity will they have to install a new meter?
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I handled for my mother the transfer of electricity supply from EDF to British Gas.

I asked to transfer into Online Variable but was told that the transfer must take place into Clear & Simple and then I could transfer to Online Variable once that had been completed. I asked what I assurance I had that the tariff I wanted would be available at that time. I was assured that it would be.

At the same time I asked for the bank account for direct debit payments for gas supply be changed and was assured that would be done in time for the next bill.

After transfer date there was a problem accessing the electricity account to make the move to Online Variable,.The agent that I spoke to on this occasion told me that the transfer should have been made directly into Online Variable and the version on offer now only gave 4% discount to C&S instead of 6% at the time I made the original request. He manually rectified the account to put us on the tariff we should have been put on in the first place.

Additionally he had to action the change of bank details that the first agent had failed to make. He did not have kind things to say about her!

0/10 for the first agent 10/10 for the second.
  • On the advice of the Cheap Energy Club, I duly changed both my electricity and gas accounts from British Gas to Npower. However, despite a supposedly smooth changeover, the two utility companies could not make a seamless changeover. But, my real concern now is that having cancelled my direct debit at the correct time, as advised by Npower, I have now been presented with a ridiculously high final bill from British Gas. Of course, it's extremely difficult to speak to them and as a result I risk affecting my credit score as the bill has now reached the 'red' stage. I therefore believe that whilst it's great to save money switching between tariffs, accounts with supplier/customer agreed direct debits (i.e: estimated use and payment throughout the year) can be subject to falling foul of moving suppliers and closing accounts within a year of opening. Depending on the cost saving, changing is not always worth the hassle. I fear the 'losing out' supplier has the customer at their mercy!
  • SarahD224 wrote: »
    On the advice of the Cheap Energy Club, I duly changed both my electricity and gas accounts from British Gas to Npower. However, despite a supposedly smooth changeover, the two utility companies could not make a seamless changeover. But, my real concern now is that having cancelled my direct debit at the correct time, as advised by Npower, I have now been presented with a ridiculously high final bill from British Gas. Of course, it's extremely difficult to speak to them and as a result I risk affecting my credit score as the bill has now reached the 'red' stage. I therefore believe that whilst it's great to save money switching between tariffs, accounts with supplier/customer agreed direct debits (i.e: estimated use and payment throughout the year) can be subject to falling foul of moving suppliers and closing accounts within a year of opening. Depending on the cost saving, changing is not always worth the hassle. I fear the 'losing out' supplier has the customer at their mercy!

A ridiculously large final bill? This means the final meter reading (which you supplied npower) was high.

Either you've used the energy, and have to pay for it, or the meter reading is wrong. Can't see what BG have done in this instance.
  • rgtr
    rgtr Posts: 20 Forumite
    British Gas are simply a disgrace and tried to extract over £100 more than they are due.

Made a complaint - nice lady said they would send a decent dual fuel bill from date of last quarters bill to change date.

did they do this NO

then they rang and chased - "my computer says" the idiot says. i said lets let the small claims court decide. phone went down.

what a way to treat exisiting customers - my advice go to OVO Energy
  • Jonez
    Jonez Posts: 117 Forumite
    Not the smartest company - contacted me yesterday about my outstanding bill (slightly overdue, but not particularly so) via a very aggressive automated call system. I paid immediately - so I suppose they'd argue that it had the desired effect. However, as a result, I will switch supplier later today, so maybe it's had a greater effect than they had envisaged. I've complained - asking why a reminder email was not considered appropriate - don't want them to reply, couldn't give a toss about their reason - it's a crude, stupid way to treat their customers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback