LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!

Options

Comments

• PinotGrigio41
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Hi

My mum and grandma always used to have a pile of scrap paper and envelopes by the phone. My mum still does actually and the kids love raiding it for crafty activities the minute they get to her house. They also used sticky labels...what did we call them..can't remember...so every envelope was reused. Green and MSE I guess. Frugal all the way.

So I have reused some envelopes today. i did my claim form! Yay! OH will photocopy it for me and then it can be posted. Put rest of envelopes in recycling! (But probably could have used some for the paper log maker. They are fairly damp still but I think its something we will persevere with ) we always use them to line my food kitchen caddy thing.

Have HM potato and leek soup on now in order to make the main stretch further.. Another of my grandmas tricks. Must cast my mind back to think of some more. That generation knew about being frugal alright. Her mum was separated from her dad and if his cheque ( he provided some support) was late and they were then late with the rent they used to have to hide under the table until the bailiffs went! Scary stuff for a lil un.

Cheers all x

Funnily enough my mum used to do that with the scrap paper too and I still do. I staple it together to make little books and pads for the girls, infact DD2 makes her own now, her bedroom is full of them. She names them all and writes down all her secrets ! Her own special version of MSE no doubt !

Interesting story about your Grandma, that must have been pretty scary for them. x
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future ! :eek:
    Total debts Nov 2011 [STRIKE]£96796.75[/STRIKE]:eek:
    Total Debts JUL 2020 £00.00
    Cleared Jul 2020 £96796.75
    :T
    Emergency Fund / Rainy Day - £5500 . DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi B

I think I remember someone's diary from way back commented on drying the paper bricks taking a long time. They put them in the greenhouse.

Oh yes, my mum does the envelope for lists thing too. Her generation (she's 83 and bright as a button) could teach us a thing or more about reduce, recycle, reuse. T-shirts as cleaning cloths, vinegar for cleaning the shower screen, taps, stainless steel, cleaning a wooden chopping board with the leavings of a fresh lemon skin, etc.

Red lentils in stews/curries/chillies are a great (secret) way of stretching a meal.

Hugs
    Satchmo x
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 January 2012 at 11:55PM
    Options
    Wet newspapers to clean windows too..windolene was too pricey! Borax to unblock drains ( and kill any ants nests).. There are loads- I suspect most are on the OS threads..Lentils were indeed used to stretch out the mince that went into the cottage pie, with some left over cooked sausages from a cooked breakfast last week.. Puy lentils from the back of the cupboard...but when they are gone they are gone..it'll be those cheapie red ones next time..and it'll all be bought from an Indian supermarket as have never found them cheaper.

I digress but we get through a lot of garlic and we discovered bags of cubes of frozen pre grated garlic from a tiny little Indian grocers/newsagents. Havent been there since now I come to think about it. An impulse buy but well worth it. Amazing stuff and very cheap ( they did ginger as well) ..must look for them again..hope they are easy to find again.

PG they will love that..my 2 are stationery queens! Thanks for the tip.

One thing I am very pleased about is the AL@I cat food for senior cats. Ours is loving it. A fraction of the usual price, altho used to get it on offer, BOGOF. Just shows how some things you can drop a brand or two and no one notices. Will be interested in how the AL@I washing powder works out.

Spent some quality time with DDs after school today..just hanging out and ban on screen time made the evening seem much much longer...it was nice and a very nice small thing that I need to cherish. ( and didn't cost a thing!) ..lord don't I ramble. Sorry..:o

Should be a LSD tomorrow. No plans to spend ( and that's half the trick for me I think) and am working out and about so minimal opportunity I hope. Also no one in house so heating shouldnt be on until after 5 when DD1 gets home. . Dinner already prepared so hopefully childminder fees the only expense.

Onwards and upwards:T
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're doing really well :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks jwil..best of luck with tomorrow. I will be leaving on a 6am train and back around 10pm so a great one all round ( not). Oh well working from home again on Thurs so can't really complain..

My 2 breakthroughs today were:

- finding that we had no white wine in the larder...a calamity!!! ( well we have some tokaj from a dear friend but its not really a Tuesday evening quaff I thought!) But instead of rushing out I instead have made do with red..a nice red too. I will also drink less and as its a heavy day travel wise tomorrow that's no bad thing and it means I didn't buy a thing today
    - friend coming over on Monday with her LO, she's still on mat leave. And instead of suggesting we cafe it, and then I'd pay as she's still on mat leave she is coming here. I can make some Nigella biscuits and we will have a lovely time. Have also suggested that a couple of new friends/ dont know them that well yet come over to dinner instead of us going to a resturant which saves them cash and us too. They're also veggie. So....think staying in is the new going out..I know everyone has been saying that for years but I am just cottoning on!

Brizzle
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    PS just updated Sig with new CC2 figure.. About £170 less which is in the right direction I guess! :-)
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi

Shattered so not posting much. Just back from work and long train journeys and just posted on the small dfw things thread. I will also do a PAD before I turn in.

Today was a LSD. OH took car to garage to get a couple of things fixed before we sell it. I bought a coffee at the station which with my Bite discount card was £1.80 so pretty restrained really. I will have to pay for a couple of taxis tomorrow..am currently not able to drive..which is also stopping me walking too far..but as working again from home other expenses should be nil. Have a few bits to get like sports kit for DD1 on Saturday but will be rigid about a list and not diverging from it!

OH is also in line for some freelance work which is good :D..just waiting to hear how much and when we will receive the cash. Won't be a lot, it's for writing some stuff, but better than a kick in the teeth I'd say.

My mum has emailed to say she has more wood for our stove..yippee and my ILs are also lending me an exercise bike languishing in their garage which the doc says I need to use for physio exercises after an injury. Just knew someone would have one kicking about they weren't using and lo and behold, here it is! Just shows if you don't ask around you never know who has what that's up for grabs!;)

Next month..ironically around Valentines Day..me and OH are having a free 2 night break in a nice
    local hotel courtesy of points I got in my last job from staying away so much. Can't wait. It'll be fab. Need to watch the extra cash around lunch and dinner etc but maybe we can even sneak in a lovely picnic lunch ( and champers!) and just buy breakfast and dinner... Yes now that's a thought. That's what I will do!:T

Anyway over and out. Off to catch some more threads and then sleep..sleep..sleep. Can't wait! Had one of those broken nights last night when you are just waiting for the alarm to go..in my case it was 5am:(
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Today so far:

£9.16 in from Quidco
    Made a PAD

And OH bought me breakfast in bed..(porridge and tea!)

Think today will be a good day!

Xx
  • PinotGrigio41
    Options
    Wow Brizzled you have had a busy few days havent you ? I think the breakfast in bed is well deserved. Well done to your OH. Your couple of nights away sounds wonderful, remember to sneak a few bags of cheap old wine into your bags so you dont have to fork out for the posh hotel ones !

I will keep my fingers crossed that the Freelance work comes through for your OH and well done on the signature update. Its such a lovely feelingisnt to see that Debt Mountain reducing.

Hope your day continues to go well !
    LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future ! :eek:
    Total debts Nov 2011 [STRIKE]£96796.75[/STRIKE]:eek:
    Total Debts JUL 2020 £00.00
    Cleared Jul 2020 £96796.75
    :T
    Emergency Fund / Rainy Day - £5500 . DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

Just quick post as grabbing 5 minutes before I have to tear off again.
    Today have done 2x PADs ( by accident as hadn't realised the first oneahd gone through! But all good!)
    Spent on taxis today as needed to get to physio and OH busy. Going out with OH tonight but will keep spend at no more than that. Going to a social event with family on Sunday and instead of buying cake will make Nigella's quick chocolate biscuits to take with a flask of coffee. So apart from cat food and floor cleaner that's it on groceries for next 72 hours!( nothing short of a bloom&ng miracle!)

Tomorrow will be a spend day for kids stuff and new work shoes for me ( cant risk heels at the moment) but will try to keep to a strict list. Will let you know how I get on. OH has listed car so here's hoping that goes. We have tried to pitch it reasonably but no idea what market is like at the moment. Tax runs out end March so need to get shot of it soon.

Have a great weekend guys...will update again soon.

Brizzle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback