Bank refusing to remove default.

Hi There,

In 2015, I had an account with Yorkshire Bank for £7.50 a month. However, I was very ill at the time so the fees mounted up to £57.50. At the end they agreed to close the account, and waiver the balance as a 'good will gesture'.

However, since 2016, they've been recording a late payment marker of 6 on my credit file for the amount, which I've only just seen as i've only just signed up to Equifax. I've been in touch with them, and complained about this and received a letter through the post they said they sent me in 2016. I was really ill at the time, so I can't remember even receiving it. It says on it 'the default status will be removed but will revert to status 6 which is a true reflection of your account'. The letter even states that the amount has been waivered in light of my 'personal circumstances'

It's not even showing 2 years later on my file as the account even closed even though it was supposed to have been, as Equifax still show it in my active accounts. Surely, though I don't understand how they can keep reporting status 6 when they agreed to waiver the amount over 2 years ago.

Does anybody have any advice please?

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is it still late payments? Normally they will do upto 6 months of late payment markers and then mark as default. Whether they agreed to waive the amount does not negate the fact that you reneged on the agreement so they defaulted it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

So have they have removed the default, and replaced it with late payment markers ?.

Despite your personal circumstances, and whatever arrangement was made with you over the fee`s, your bank must accurately record how the account has been run, so the late payment markers are an accurate port rail of your financial conduct.

I doubt you will get anywhere in respect to this, you could complain further about the account still been shown as an open account, when it should be closed, you could ask for the entire entry to be removed, but i suspect the response you had last time was their final one, so you may have to take it to the FOS, and they will look at it on the balance of fairness to both sides.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • camy934
    camy934 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice,

It was down as a default, which they reverted to 'payment 6'. However, the account was supposed to have been closed in 2016 with the amount written off. However, they've been reporting a payment marker of 6 since 2016, on an account which they told me had been closed.

I've sent them a further complaint, as even a default goes off your file in 6 years. However, the way they're doing this, it will always be there! It's not even registered as a default, It's just constant payment 6 markers every single month, even though I've not had an account with them since 2016. So i've enquired as to why they've been doing this since 2016, when the account should have been closed, and that the account should be reported as closed with payment 6 markers up to the month of closure.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Maybe offer to pay them the £57.50 that you owe them and then the late payment markers will stop?
  • camy934
    camy934 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have offered that as well, just have to see what they say. I just don't understand how they can say I don't owe them anymoney, then for the past 3 years, report it to the CRA's as I am in arrears with them and not paying.

It was payment 6 before the account closure, but I just don't get why this has continued when they said they had closed the account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    camy934 wrote: »
    I had an account with Yorkshire Bank for £7.50 a month. However, I was very ill at the time so the fees mounted up to £57.50.
    how does £7.50 accrue to £57.50?
    camy934 wrote: »
    I have offered that as well
    why do you offer to pay them an amount that has been written off?

Have you asked them recently to close the account? As it seems not to have been closed yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure