MBNA PPI Claim

Hi all
Had a credit card with MBNA since December 2001. Couple of months ago thought I would just check on the off chance that I had PPI - couldn't see anything when I looked online at my account. I went through the MBNA website and lo and behold it says that my account has had PPI from the minute the account was opened in 2001.
Went through the claim and was given the 8 week deadline for a response. Had two letters from them confirming that they were still working on it. Got to the deadline day and decided to call them. Was told that indeed my claim had been upheld and that a payment was due of £576.48. I queried this amount and asked how they had made the calculation. The guy basically couldn't tell me but obviously had a script saying that with this amount my account would be back to normal. Not being satisfied with that I called again that day and spoke to another guy who again gave me no info. I asked if he could tell me how much each PPI premium was worth and what interest it had been rated at. Nothing. He said that he had no access to such info.
Stewed on this and called again next day and spoke to a lady. All of a sudden she could supply me with all the info I needed, interest rates, actual premium amounts. On me remarking sarcastically that I couldn't understand why MBNA would bother sneakily cheating me out of less than £600 in 17 years. Didn't seem worth the bother. She then said that the PPI had been closed in March 2003 on this account, as per written request by me, the customer.?????? This was clearly a lie and alarm bells started ringing. The script kicked in perfectly again - "most people don't remember what they did some 17 years ago". I obviously asked for a copy of the letter to which I was told that we no longer have such a thing on file. Very convenient!
So I am alleged to have written cancelling an account that I still didn't know I had 17 years later. I told her that I smell a rat, based on the calculation she had presented me they could owe £15-£20k. Would make sense to try and blag me. She told me to send in a cheque for £10 and a request for "SAR" which she claims would show every single detail on the account from day 1. But now I don't trust them nor anything that they send me. Today I received the cheque which clearly I will not bank.
Does this sound right to anyone? In two emails, two letters and then two conversations with their office nobody once mentioned that the PPI had only been for just over a year and that I had cancelled it in writing. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Feel like they have me over a barrel. Help!!! Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, it sounds right.

If you think you paid more, send them your evidence. A SAR will show the premiums you paid.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you have statements showing you paid it after it was cancelled? That is the only proof that will show you were right. Otherwise whatever your calculations show is irrelevant as they don't have any evidence of you paying this so won't pay it back. What evidence do you have that their statement was a lie and that you didn't cancel it (you could have done it in branch or even over the phone and someone simply ticked the wrong box)?

It's quite possible you did cancel it, after all if I was paying a premium for a year and looked at my statements and saw this charge listed every month, I'd query it with the bank.

All the SAR will show is whatever the bank have on record unless they have some old archive the investigations team don't know about which they dig up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure