British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• BassBunny
    BassBunny Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    psarinuk wrote: »
    Result:
    After emailing the cheap energy club, I got a response from them today, "Some good news on this! British Gas have now got back to us to confirm that your switch has fully completed.
    This means that we'll be able to pass on the outstanding cashback to you. This should be paid in the next couple of weeks and go into your bank account with the reference EnergyClubCashBk."

Happy days. Thanks to all.
    Result. After a nightmare switch and being with BG for 4 months, I am still waiting for my Cashback. BG have me down as a single fuel supplier but I am a Dual Fuel customer. What a shambles.
  • Anonymously
    Options
    Switched on the MSE Collective early October and it is a nightmare.
    First sent an email asking me to set up an account online, failed, ring them and told some one sent them out by mistake.
    Second. Asked for meter readings, go through process and then sent an email the following day saying tech fault on site did not work please ring.
    Third. Ring in, waiting ages, get through to operator whose systems are incredibly slow, wait wait wait.
    Forth. Seek to log a complaint and I am pressured to close it when nothing has happened in regard to it.
    Fifth. Then takes an age to escalate it.

What a shables.:eek:
  • Oldsoldier
    Options
    I'm not surprised Anonymously. I realise not everyone had a problem, but after mine in the MSE Collective to British Gas at the beginning of 2016 I vowed 'never again'! - and later in the year took the opportunity to switch to Sainsbury's Energy - no difference in cost - part of British Gas so no penalty for early move - you wouldn't believe the difference - dedicated team - much more robust and clearer website and far fewer problems recorded online. This latest offer from British Gas will apparently save me money - I wasn't even tempted (and I've switched every year for the last 8!). Good luck with your transfer - stick with it and I'm sure you'll get there in the end. The excellent team at MSE are worth contacting too.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    It's 5 days short of a month now since I started the switching process from E.ON to British Gas and I am far from impressed.

When I log on to my new account I still get asked for my opening readings despite inputting them numerous times (both online and over the phone). When I phoned British Gas to ask what the problem was, I was told not to worry about it!

Early days yet but on what has happened so far, it's not looking good.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Switched on the MSE Collective early October and it is a nightmare.
    First sent an email asking me to set up an account online, failed, ring them and told some one sent them out by mistake.
    Second. Asked for meter readings, go through process and then sent an email the following day saying tech fault on site did not work please ring.
    Third. Ring in, waiting ages, get through to operator whose systems are incredibly slow, wait wait wait.
    Forth. Seek to log a complaint and I am pressured to close it when nothing has happened in regard to it.
    Fifth. Then takes an age to escalate it.

What a shables.:eek:

Hi Anonymously, that's not the sort of start we want you to have.
    If your complaint hasn't been resolved, please give our Collective Tariff Team a call on 0800 975 9712 & we'll make sure your account's opened correctly. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My switch with BG a year ago went fine, very smooth, apart from them doing it much earlier than the predicted date and therefore I ended up with a penalty on my old supplier. BG refused to push the date back by 2 weeks to stop this happening. Since then I have had 3 changes to my DD amount. Most recently this weekend I logged in and it said I would be in debit by £66, so I paid it. Then I got an email saying my monthly bill was going up. I started £85.50 a month based on previous usage with past supplier, quickly it went up to £147.50 and now it's at £155 a month and they are still predicting a debit of £160 now. I won't ever go with BG again. My deal was sort of the cheap energy club, doesn't seem cheap at all to me for 2 adults in a 3 bed house. We have an Aga but it's been off all summer so Lord knows what they will claim I need to pay his winter!
  • unhappychappy16
    Options
    Im currently 2 weeks into switching to british gas, ive raised 2 complaints because of the way they are handling my account.
    Meter readings going missing, unable to acces part of my account online, not getting e-mails with updates on my package.
    Infact 2 weeks and im starting to wish i never signed upto them from cheap enegry club. Communication with them is just stuupid i have more luck talking to a donkey.
  • carguy143
    carguy143 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's my experience.

JULY 2015
    The wife and I moved in to our first house and found the previous owners were on prepay with British Gas. We quickly got new cards sorted out and found out our nearest shop wasn't so close. Thabkyfully we only topped up once as the previous owners left £30 on their cards (kind of them).

AUGUST 2015
    I called British Gas about getting a normal/smart credit meter for a better deal. After almost an hour waiting to get through I spoke to someone who seemed pretty desperate to put me off changing to a credit meter by telling me most customers fail their credit checks and as I'm a new customer and a new home owner I may prefer the convenience of prepay with the knowledge of knowing I can never spend more than I can afford. Even when doing his checks he was still telling me I would fail. He sounded surprised to tell me I passed the check.

SEPTEMBER 2015
    The smart meter was installed and whilst initially buggy, got better with time. I guess there were some remote software updates or something.

NOVEMBER 2015
    I took on the collective switch to November 2016. The switch took two weeks or so and I've had no issues.

LATE SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2016
    I took the other collective switch as whilst not as cheap as my old deal, is better than the standard rates on offer. The switch took about 72 hours. However, my direct debits haven't been taken as normal. The gas was only taken yesterday and my electric has still to be taken. I just hope they don't try and mark me down for a missed or late payment as it's not my fault they didnt take my payment as planned.

Overall I'm happy. We pay about £24-£28 a month for our electricity on smart billing. We pay £38 a month for our gas but as the gas bills are produced every three months or so I'd rather pay an average to be on the safe side. Our house is a 1000 sq feet, former council, 3 bed mid terrace from 1965, with gas central heating, combi boiler, double glazing, loft and wall insulation.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Here's my experience.

JULY 2015
    The wife and I moved in to our first house and found the previous owners were on prepay with British Gas. We quickly got new cards sorted out and found out our nearest shop wasn't so close. Thabkyfully we only topped up once as the previous owners left £30 on their cards (kind of them).

AUGUST 2015
    I called British Gas about getting a normal/smart credit meter for a better deal. After almost an hour waiting to get through I spoke to someone who seemed pretty desperate to put me off changing to a credit meter by telling me most customers fail their credit checks and as I'm a new customer and a new home owner I may prefer the convenience of prepay with the knowledge of knowing I can never spend more than I can afford. Even when doing his checks he was still telling me I would fail. He sounded surprised to tell me I passed the check.

SEPTEMBER 2015
    The smart meter was installed and whilst initially buggy, got better with time. I guess there were some remote software updates or something.

NOVEMBER 2015
    I took on the collective switch to November 2016. The switch took two weeks or so and I've had no issues.

LATE SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2016
    I took the other collective switch as whilst not as cheap as my old deal, is better than the standard rates on offer. The switch took about 72 hours. However, my direct debits haven't been taken as normal. The gas was only taken yesterday and my electric has still to be taken. I just hope they don't try and mark me down for a missed or late payment as it's not my fault they didnt take my payment as planned.

Overall I'm happy. We pay about £24-£28 a month for our electricity on smart billing. We pay £38 a month for our gas but as the gas bills are produced every three months or so I'd rather pay an average to be on the safe side. Our house is a 1000 sq feet, former council, 3 bed mid terrace from 1965, with gas central heating, combi boiler, double glazing, loft and wall insulation.

Hi Carguy143, I'm sure there won't be any markers on your credit file due to this but it's something we can check for you.
    Please just call our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 or if you'd prefer you can speak to our General Enquiries Team on 0800 048 0202. Cheers, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    Fay wrote: »
    My switch with BG a year ago went fine, very smooth, apart from them doing it much earlier than the predicted date and therefore I ended up with a penalty on my old supplier. BG refused to push the date back by 2 weeks to stop this happening. Since then I have had 3 changes to my DD amount. Most recently this weekend I logged in and it said I would be in debit by £66, so I paid it. Then I got an email saying my monthly bill was going up. I started £85.50 a month based on previous usage with past supplier, quickly it went up to £147.50 and now it's at £155 a month and they are still predicting a debit of £160 now. I won't ever go with BG again. My deal was sort of the cheap energy club, doesn't seem cheap at all to me for 2 adults in a 3 bed house. We have an Aga but it's been off all summer so Lord knows what they will claim I need to pay his winter!

Hi Fay, I'm sorry to hear you incurred a fee from your old supplier; however once a switch has begun we're not able to change the transfer date, which is why we couldn't arrange this for you.

It sounds like your usage or tariff may have changed and if you'd please give our Collective Tariff Team on 0800 975 9712 with the details of your previous usage with your old supplier and we'll check this for you. Thanks, Matt
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback