Rent your storage space discussion

Comments

• I have put up my attic space on this site because I'm not adverse to a little extra cash in hard times and I'd like to think that I could help someone out in the local area. I think its a great idea and its a shame that others haven't got a bit more community spirit. If a contract isn't good enough for you maybe the whole thing just isn't for you but it works for me! Bring on the enquiries for my space!
  • I'm interested in this as I'm currently storing a load of stuff for a friend for free.....

This sounds like a good idea - akin to renting out parking spaces in
    front of your house I suppose, I know people who make a fari amount of money doing that. I guess it needs to work on a certain amount of good will and trust, but so do lots of things that are still very worthwhile like freecycle.
    Reading the site they do seem to have thought about lots of the issues mentioned above.

Maybe Storemates have encouraged their customers to leave feedback - it doesn't mean the feedback isn't true - and small, struggling businesses that are seemingly fairly alturistic towards consumers in their aims are surely to be encouraged on this site?

I'll probably be too lazy to look into this further, but if I was a bit more skint I'd definately be interested.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Maybe not seems highly suspicious given a new thread and 4 new posters who only joined that day and only posted once, wonder if IP address match.
    tescodisco wrote: »

Maybe Storemates have encouraged their customers to leave feedback - it doesn't mean the feedback isn't true - and small, struggling businesses that are seemingly fairly alturistic towards consumers in their aims are surely to be encouraged on this site?
  • I have just caught up on today's discussion, and would like to confirm that I am a genuine user! I have been getting MSE newsletters for a long time and regularly use the website. However, couldn't log on to join the debate so had to re-register. I had seen on Facebook that Storemates were mentioned on MSE and as one of the first users I was of course keen to have a look!

Anyway, I am glad to see that some people still have faith in others and would trust their gut feeling. As I said, of course you never know, but it is as easy as to ask to have a peek in the boxes that your Storemate is bringing and maybe do a list of the content as part of the contract.

I noticed that the people who are suspious about us "newbies" are also those who are suspicious about the whole idea, so it probably just isn't for them!

Best of luck to those who do join; I hope your experience is a positive as mine.
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Yeah my gut feeling is there a lot of spam on here
  • i feel really disappointed reading other users' comment as some just haven't understood the idea behind "storemates", which is about promoting the community. In these tough economic times, it is also about sharing already existing resources, meeting your neighbours and offering support to each other. Shouldn't it be what we should all be looking for? ....

myself and my husband couldn't fault the system and the experience was an extremely positive one, which allowed us to meet some very lovely people in our neighbourhood, where we know our stuff will be well looked after (and to some of you making comments, "no, i don't expect a hurricane and i don't think the roof will be torn apart....") The owners couldn't have done more to help us store our stuff in their loft (i even didn't carry any box, the owner carried the boxes up the ladder with my husband) and couldn't have been more accommodating.

a) the owners of the loft and i communicated by email and discussed what we had to store. within a week , we had arranged to meet up for us to check the space and for the owners to meet us and assess our suitability. we discussed the contract at that meeting and the need to be thorough in the packing of items. we arranged to come and store our stuff the following week.

(the stuff i needed to have stored was kept in an expensive storage company so i cancelled the contract there and moved the items to the owners' loft in the following weekend).

b) we arrived late on a saturday night but the owners welcomed us to their home. The owner helped my husband bring the boxes upstairs whilst i was discussing the arrangements with the owners' wife.

c) we went carefully through the written contract with the owners (which is on the website) and checked the contents of our boxes.

d) we gave the owners some money for the first week of storage and to allow time for the direct debit to be set up.

Common sense would dictate that you do not store any valuables and i do not anticipate any difficulties whatsoever. (we have books and folders, files etc) Should we have had any concerns, i could have easily discussed all the issues mentioned in other emails with the owners in our previous meeting or in emails. (i know someone mentioned hundred of "what ifs..." but i prefer to remain an optimist and do not believe that we live in a hurricane prone country!!!. i understand that in "business" it is important to be clear, transparent and think of all the eventualities in order to prevent problems but that is a community-based enterprise.

i do really hope others like us will use "storemates" and i wish i had known about it before rather than wasting hundred of pounds in these expensive commercial storage companies. (i had heard about it in the press).
    i would recommend to use storemates unreservedly and people to use their common sense and make their requirements clear such as "do they need to access the storage?" etc.

(PS: yes i am a first time user of MSE and yes i have been prompted by "storemate" to leave a review and yes i am completely genuine. i hope that by describing my experience step-by-step you can see that.)
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2012 at 11:36PM
    well at least your honest and owned up still its not good of a company to ask customers to give favourable reports and I have reported this thread to abuse

Any company that asked me I tell them where to go, I give feedback when I think its earned and not prompted. Also company rep Shaff need permission to post as a rep

breiz wrote: »
    (PS: yes i am a first time user of MSE and yes i have been prompted by "storemate" to leave a review and yes i am completely genuine. i hope that by describing my experience step-by-step you can see that.)
  • Shaff
    Shaff Posts: 34 Forumite
    well at least your honest and owned up still its not good of a company to ask customers to give favourable reports and I have reported this thread to abuse

Any company that asked me I tell them where to go, I give feedback when I think its earned and not prompted. Also company rep Shaff need permission to post as a rep

I already stated in my post that we mentioned the MSE feature on our facebook site and that the The forum was seeking feedback from people who had used and experienced the service. You can see the post your self on our fb site to validate. We have not in anyway been asking for favourable reports it says - "have your say.." We only launched a few weeks ago , there aren't many users yet so it seems quite sensible to make those aware of a debate they may want to contribute to.
    Its up to people what they write about us and fortunately its been fairly positive - but will take on the chin constructive negative feedback.

Have always been just a regular forum member. Will check out the rep rules - now you've alerting.

Is it always this hostile here? I thought we were talking about whether 'to trust or not to trust' some ones stuff in your attic.
  • Maya3
    Maya3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I am quite disappointed about the doubts posed to my post. Having had to stop work this year on medical grounds, I actually have the time to look at facebook and placed a post because a) I can make a positive contribution b) by stating to others I will have a yoga room, I'll actually do it- which will be key to my health c) I wanted to keep my brain active and thought a discussion forum a good way, alas the attacks are quite hurtful and will probably refrain from now on. What happened to "never judge a book by it's cover"? From what I understand, Storemates is about making up YOUR own mind. So, on a POSITIVE note, I will go forward with my yoga room, so Storemates here I come!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure