Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16

Comments

• AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've found you!!
    I'm definitely not drinking today so this will be 6/18
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Other thread still not locked but I've contacted another mod, so hopefully that will work....
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    edited 10 April 2019 at 1:42PM
    ArsenalBarnie 1/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Glenda 1/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    GreenKaren 2/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    LoveASale 1/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Maggie 3/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Maman 2/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Shaggy 2/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    WBF 1/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    7 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
  • shaggydoo
    edited 10 April 2019 at 1:43PM
    April 2019

flowerz.gif = 7 Days

e5r5fp.jpg= 14 Days

4funnies_com_animated_emoticons_easter_15.gif= 21 Days

angel.gif= 28 Days

hippie.gif= 31 Days

dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif= Target Reached
    4funnies_com_animated_emoticons_easter_14.gif= Target Beaten

AnnieG 6/18
    Arkers 7/10flowerz.gif

ArsenalBarnie 4/16
    Barney 8/26flowerz.gif

BestLifeNow /TF
    CathyBird 8/21flowerz.gif

CuppaTea 3/17
    Glenda 8/25flowerz.gif
    GreenKaren 8/28flowerz.gif
    Honey Bear 9/30flowerz.gif

LoveASale 5/18
    MaggieM 7/15flowerz.gif

Maman 6/10

PollyAnna 3/15

Pricey /23
    Rosy 8/28flowerz.gif
    Season of Mist 7/27flowerz.gif
    Shaggydoo 7/21flowerz.gif

Sukeyboo 5/12

WannaBeeFree 5/19

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Loving the updates on Layla HB.:)

No drinking here today. Why is it that some days are so easy and others a struggle?:think:

6/10 AFDs please Shaggy and 2/4 for the SNC.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    5/12 for today please Shaggy

Glad to hear all is going well with Layla HB :)
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does anyone mind if I join this thread?
    I have always liked red wine, but since last year when I passed the big 60, I have just been drinking too much. Some family problems haven't helped at all, but my wife has been fantastic.
    There have been times when I take a couple of days off, but if anything goes wrong I definitely drink more.
    The other problem which I noticed last year, when I didn't touch a drop for two weeks, was that I didn't sleep at all.
    I have also heard that it can be dangerous to give up completely without tapering down, is this true?
    Anyway, I feel lousy at the moment so I have to do something positive.
  • shaggydoo
    Hi Guys,

Old thread now locked!

Regards

Shaggy
  • shaggydoo
    edited 9 April 2019 at 4:12PM
    andygb wrote: »
    Does anyone mind if I join this thread?

Welcome! Do you have a goal? Do you want to cut down or quit completely? On this thread mostly people are trying to cut down but we have a few posters who have given up completely.

On this thread we run challenges:-

1) School Night Challenge - runs from Sunday to Thursday - total of 5 nights - set a target from 1 to 5.
    2) Most weekends a weekend challenge - Friday and Saturday night - from 1 to 2 night target
    3) Monthly challenge - you can join anytime - set a target 22 days left in February
    4) Annual challenge - you can join anytime

or you can just chat!

I have always liked red wine, but since last year when I passed the big 60, I have just been drinking too much. Some family problems haven't helped at all, but my wife has been fantastic.
    There have been times when I take a couple of days off, but if anything goes wrong I definitely drink more.

I think most posters can relate to this....

The other problem which I noticed last year, when I didn't touch a drop for two weeks, was that I didn't sleep at all.

Unfortunately, this is common - quite a lot written about this; google "alcohol withdrawal and insomnia/ sleep problems"....the good news is that it does go if you cut back a lot or quit...but it can be a very difficult transistion....

I have also heard that it can be dangerous to give up completely without tapering down, is this true?

It can be dangerous to go cold turkey but I don't know how many units you have to be consuming for this to be the case. Could you talk to a GP? Or is that the last thing you want to do ? How many units do you think you consume a week? Day? Month?

Anyway, I feel lousy at the moment so I have to do something positive.

Well post away here - we always listen! Feeling lousy is a good reason to want to quit / cut down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure