Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my discount with my friends?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I often book theatre tickets for myself and friends, who then pay me back. However, I recently bought a discount card (which cost £40) that gets me money off tickets. Should I continue to charge my friends full-price until the cost of the card has been covered, or just ask them to pay me the discounted price?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Surely you bought the discount card to pay less for these tickets. So was it to save you all money or make a profit out of your friends?

I'd Tell my friends I had bought the card and say something along the lines of: I think it fairest if you pay me the full ticket price until the cost of the card is paid, then we will all get a discount. Does that sound OK?
  • It depends how long the discount card lasts (for ever, one year?) how many are there of you, how often do you all go to the theatre, so how long would it take for the difference to repay you? Do some maths. I do think it's reasonable for all to chip in, after all everybody's going to get the benefit, eventually.
  • Discuss this with the friends who you are buying tickets for
  • You should have discussed with the friends before you bought the card and got everyone to chip in for the card if you were wanting them to contribute to it.
    As you didn't i'd say pass the discount on to everyone- surely you think you'll save more than the £40 yourself during the duration that the card is valid otherwise you wouldn't have bought it?
  • Give them some of your discount so they benefit from your astute action. It will take you longer to recoup your investment but they can not complain as they are getting the tickets cheaper than otherwise.
  • Pay full price till discount card paid off, then pass on the subsequent discount onto friends.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Reasonable that they chip in I think (otherwise you may not make the cost of the card back only getting a discount on your tickets and they would be getting a discount for nothing.)

I think it's only fair that your friends are given the choice to pay for their share of the card upfront (or within a reasonable time if they are temporarily short of cash) or continue to pay full price for their tickets. That way, no one is forced to be a part of this discount card if they don't want, nor would they notice the discounted price on their tickets and realise that something's going on. Be open and honest about it and see what they want to do.
  • KGB73
    KGB73 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It depends if you could afford to buy the card or not.If it’s not an issue then give your friends the discount and don’t ask for the card costs, however if the cost of the card was a lot of money to you and you wouldn’t use it again then recoup it, before any discounts are given, as long as the tickets don’t end up costing more once the card is paid for; in that case you would need to discuss with friends; the card becomes available for the group to use whenever they want, presuming it lasts for more than one use.
  • Cover the cost of the card, and then share the discount, and then you'll all benefit.
  • although I suppose you will eventually pay off the cost of the card with the saving on your own personal tickets - but covering the cost via your friends first would be perfectly reasonable.

Re other posters: I don't see why you should have discussed this with your friends first as they might object - they are unlikely to object to paying less for their tickets. You are not suggesting getting them to chip in for the discount card upfront, just to carry on with what they have always done, namely paying full price for the tickets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure