First Direct want proof of identity years after account opened: anyone else affected?

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds as if you really do think there are no databases against which financial institutions, and other companies such as bookies and solicitors, can check the validity of a passport or DL number, combined with a person's name and DOB? These do exist, and are in use by commercial firms (though I don't know whether FD use them).

Somebody providing a valid number / name / DOB combination doesn't mean that the information is provided by the person that data pertains to. Thus checks against databases don't prove that the owner provided the data.

Estate agents cannot certify passports or driving licences.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Herbalus wrote: »
    I would be tempted to return the letter to them with a covering note, explaining that you've recently received an obvious scam attempt to get your aunt's identity documents, because of course First Direct asking for these would be an absolute joke after 20 years of having an account....

The world has changed somewhat in the past 20 years. Refreshing the database after such a period seems perfectly reasonable. If you don't like approach switch banks.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,271 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Sounds as if you really do think there are no databases against which financial institutions, and other companies such as bookies and solicitors, can check the validity of a passport or DL number, combined with a person's name and DOB? These do exist, and are in use by commercial firms (though I don't know whether FD use them).
    Yes I am aware they exist and have even provided the machine readable serial number that runs down the side of my passport for an ID check on one occasion.
    Somebody providing a valid number / name / DOB combination doesn't mean that the information is provided by the person that data pertains to. Thus checks against databases don't prove that the owner provided the data.
    I do agree with you that, when done correctly, certification provides more certainty that the information is being provided by the owner of the document. However, I don't believe those people being asked to certify the original document have been sufficiently trained to spot a counterfeit document in most cases, so neither system is perfect.

There is also the minor consideration that the use of certified documents poses some risk if one goes astray, much the same as if you were to lose the original, but with some time limitation. I would not send a certified copy of my passport through the post.
    Estate agents cannot certify passports or driving licences.
    Well First Direct used to accept certification from estate agents (link). I don't know whether they still do.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2014 at 10:10PM
    What is the issue with giving them notarised confirmation ....? ...costs would be a lot less than £125.
    Have you ever had copies notarised? (Not to be confused with certified by a solicitor).
    you could try and claim those from FD
    Yah, you can. I bet they won't pay a penny.
    ...Only the owner of the documents will be able to obtain the certification. Unless the certifier is a crook, too....
    Really?
    What they certify is that the copy is a true copy of the original, nothing more. It can be any document, not necessarily passport or DL.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,271 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    grumbler wrote: »
    Really?
    What they certify is that the copy is a true copy of the original, nothing more. It can be any document, not necessarily passport or DL.
    Yes, and I suppose it's within the realm of possibility that if someone brings in a document to a regulated business for certification, the person that actually copies and certifies the document may be located in a back office and have no contact with the customer at all.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you ever had copies notarised? (Not to be confused with certified by a solicitor).
    As it happens, I have. It cost me £18.65 for my passport, in 2012. And yes, I do know the difference between solicitors and notaries.
    I challenge you to get a copy of somebody else's passport or DL notarised. Or even just certified.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2014 at 11:45AM
    As it happens, I have. It cost me £18.65 for my passport, in 2012. And yes, I do know the difference between solicitors and notaries.
    Once a notary wanted to charge me ~£75 for a copy of one-page letter from school. If you search 'Matched betting' board you will find many similar stories:
    ...called a few ...people registered as public notaries near me and will cost £150 inc their fee to get the documents authorised and stamped.
    ...Don't use a notary or other professional who is not a friend, as they are likely to charge through the nose for this service. Solicitors can be reasonable, however.
    Notarised in the UK means something rather different to the US and some other countries. In the latter it just means a certified copy.

Here a notary will go through it letter by letter and probably run a check that it's genuine. £50 if you are lucky. A solicitor might just glance at it and charge a fiver to sign it's a true copy
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=32758169&postcount=7
    How much will document certification cost?
    A solicitor is likely to charge between £5 and £10 for certifying your information. If you use a solicitor’s services they will usually be able to certify the documentation quickly and charge a far lower fee than a notary. You should also be able to see a solicitor fairly quickly without having to make an appointment (in most cases).
    However, a notary public will usually charge a higher fee and it will often take them longer to certify the documentation. Notary public fees vary but you should expect to pay in the region of ten times the amount a solicitor would charge for certifying a document. A notary public will justify this on account of the additional training and examinations they have had to take in order to qualify as a notary, and the extra checks on the documentation they will usually have to carry out.
    http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/government/other_law_and_government_topics/500450.html

Re checking the ID you might possibly be right for notarisation, and this is yet another explanation why it it so costly compared to certification:
    Why does it cost so much to certify a copy of a document as a true copy?

Most people rarely ever need a notary. For matters or transactions etc in England you do not need a notary. The result is that the role of a notary, and what s/he has to do are largely unknown.
    A very common view is that the only role a notary has it put their seal and signature on a document after a person a signs a document, or on a copy of a document. Other than that a notary has nothing else to do. That is the notary is not concerned with (or should not be concerned with) the matter, transaction etc the client is involved in.
    This is not so. For every client a notary sees a notary must do a number of things:
    • identify the client
    • understand why the client wants to sign a document or have a document copied
    • prepare a document which is attached to the signed or copied document which contains certain information (or write that information on to the document signed by the client or the copy of a document)
    • make (and keep) a record of what has occurred
    None of these are optional, but do mean that for something as simple as certifying a copy of a person’s passport the cost can seem quite high. As a comparison, solicitors are often ask to certify copies of documents. As a solicitor I would not need normally to do any of the above. Most solicitors would just write on a photocopy of the document words such as
    ‘I certify that this is a true copy of the original’
    and then add their signature, print (or use a rubber stamp to add) their name and firm details and state the date, and that would be that. For an example of a notarised copy of a passport see the attached, and the equivalent what a solicitor might do. For a breakdown on time spent and costs involved in dealing with a copy of a passport as a notary and as a solicitor see this document.
    NOTE: it it does say "identify the client", but doesn't say that the client can't have copies of other persons's documents notarised.

Also, it's worth mentioning that reportedly FD reject copies with embossing seals that notaries usually use (as opposed to ink stamps) because they have problems with scanning them.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as i am aware, there are a number of other documents which are accepted which don't need to be certified by anyone.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    As far as i am aware, there are a number of other documents which are accepted which don't need to be certified by anyone.
    Afraid not - every document on each of the two lists (one document from each list is required) has to be certified.

To be fair to HSBC, though, if you make a fuss they will allow you to take the originals to a branch to avoid certification. It shouldn't be necessary to make a fuss, though, but it was.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August 2014 at 10:33AM
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Afraid not - every document on each of the two lists (one document from each list is required) has to be certified.

To be fair to HSBC, though, if you make a fuss they will allow you to take the originals to a branch to avoid certification. It shouldn't be necessary to make a fuss, though, but it was.

Even documents like council tax bills and HMRC or DWP originals ? I've supplied documents to them and i didn't have to have any documents certified.

I'd call them to ask if i were you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport