Nationwide to remove support for Microsoft money

Nationwide are removing support for auto-downloads into MS Money (and I guess other programs that use the OFX format).

The link is here.

It seems they offer no downloadable statements apart from CSV format which are pretty useless.

I know all my credit card accounts let me download QIF files. Do any other current account providers? I am more than happy to move my account to a bank that does (this was the only reason I keep my current account with the Nationwide since they became so uncompetitive in other areas).

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Lloyds TSB offer .QIF format statement downloads
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Suspect it is because Microsoft are stopping support/supplying it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money

On 10 June 2009, Microsoft announced that they would be ending development of Money. The company plans to discontinue sales of Money by 30 June 2009, however will continue to support the product until 31 Jan 2011
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    Suspect it is because Microsoft are stopping support/supplying it

Indeed. However the OFX format is an international one, Gnucash and others use it too. I wouldn't mind too much if they offered a credible alternative.

I've just checked the Alliance and Leicester - their online banking system seems very 10-years ago, but at least they have statement download facilities. To think Nationwide were once market leaders with internet banking. Might move there and get £150 on top!
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    I think banks should downloadable statements in pdf format, as well as other current formats (xls, Microsoft Money, Quicken, etc...).
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    book12 wrote: »
    I think banks should offer downloadable statements in pdf format, as well as other current formats (xls, Microsoft Money, Quicken, etc...).
    Maybe, but in general I consider pdf documents the spawn of the internet. They are very popular with official and government departments but use prodigious amounts of data on the specious grounds that it 'looks pretty'. A recent example - my local authority website offer a link to a downloadable form just to apply for direct debit for the council tax. The form in question is a document of size 5 MB!

Yesterday I googled "national minimum wage october 2009" - I just wanted to check what the pending rise was - and the third (most popular) link that comes up looks official - because it comes from www.lowpay.gov.uk and bears the title Low Pay Commision Report 2009... but it contains (wait for it!) 727 pages of pdf!-

It's a bit of a different example to the one how to (best use) use your bank I agree but I think pdf formats should be kept minimal and that pdf in general are injurious to bandwidth. No 'html' every time for me, I'm afraid...
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Red_Ant
    Red_Ant Posts: 75 Forumite
    Like the creator of this thread, Nationwide's support of MS Money was the final reason I was sticking with them after being a customer for over 25 years (mortgage, multiple accounts managed via MS Money). I was tolerating their dreadful customer service, poor interest rates, dropping worldwide fee-free card usage etc, but this is the last straw.

At least it gives me the push needed to find a financial service instution that cares for their customers.
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Red_Ant wrote: »
    At least it gives me the push needed to find a financial service instution that cares for their customers.
    Let us all know when you find one.
  • I have filed a complaint about the loss of functionality, and suggested that they implement QIF downloads as do most other banks.
    I remember when Nationwide was a market leader with internet banking before the other banks. Now they trail behind the others with no intention of catching up.

Where is the advantage of them being mutual? It seems they are slipping further behind the competition every day.
  • Red_Ant
    I think Nationwide need to look at their whole business model. They seem to have adopted a lot of short term measures just to get them through the last 12 months that are so unpopular that long standing and loyal customers are being badly affected. Rather than trying to gobble up other failing societies, maybe they would have been better trying to put their own house in order first.

I also think they need to rename their Flexaccount - it's anything but flexible now, with no interest paid whatever you do.
  • Red_Ant
    I have filed a complaint about the loss of functionality, and suggested that they implement QIF downloads as do most other banks.
    I remember when Nationwide was a market leader with internet banking before the other banks. Now they trail behind the others with no intention of catching up.

Where is the advantage of them being mutual? It seems they are slipping further behind the competition every day.

I quite agree. I've already contacted them about this issue, and it's clear they won't do anything that costs them money in the short term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure