Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Henry1994
    • By Henry1994 21st Oct 19, 10:16 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Henry1994
    Advice on backdating JSA claims.
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:16 AM
    Advice on backdating JSA claims. 21st Oct 19 at 10:16 AM
    Good morning I hope this message finds everyone well, I am looking to pick the brains of you all.

I have been out of work for the last 4/5 months looking for work. I have been attending plenty of interviews just not getting any luck. I have email and paper records of the job applications I have been making throughout this period. For some stupid reason, I was too proud to claim JSA, and have now got myself into debt. I am living with my parents so rent-free, but they aren't the richest people so have my own bills to pay too. I am looking to now claim retrospectively for JSA and 3 months worth of payments, using the evidence of myself applying for jobs that I have kept. The question is, I see on the government website it says there must be a valid reason for backdating payments. Now I feel my reason is valid, I didn't want to claim off the state as I know services are overstretched and I assumed that with my qualifications I would find a job much sooner, but how would the benefits office view this reasoning? Would this qualify as reasonable enough to be able to backdate my claim providing I can show evidence of consistent efforts to find employment during the period of the claim?

Thanks in advance all

Henry
    Last edited by Henry1994; 21-10-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling error
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 21st Oct 19, 10:31 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 2,632 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:31 AM
    • 21st Oct 19, 10:31 AM
    I very much doubt this will be accepted as good reason. Examples of good reason on the Citizens Advice website are "for example a close relative died or you were given wrong advice by the Jobcentre".

Choosing not to claim is not a good reason for not claiming (even if it's understandable).

However there's no harm in asking.

Bear in mind that new style JSA is only payable for a maximum of six months and you need to have a complete NI record for the tax years 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 to qualify. Alternatively you can instead claim Universal Credit.
    Last edited by calcotti; 21-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    • pebbles88
    • By pebbles88 23rd Oct 19, 7:20 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    pebbles88
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:20 AM
    • 23rd Oct 19, 7:20 AM
    Hi op

Whatever you decide to do in regards to claiming a benefit ( in your case either UC or new style jsa if you know you meet the criteria for it ) do it quick & don't delay.
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,261Posts Today

7,777Users online

Martin's Twitter