Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    GrahamJo wrote: »
    I have recently joined Bulb after my current fixed rate deal with Enstroga came to an end and I hate how you automatically get put onto a dramatically more expensive tariff. What I like about Bulb is that their electric is 100% renewable (and they buy carbon offsets for their gas), but also because they only have one tariff, so can't park customers on expensive rates in the hope that they don't notice. Bulb were only a couple of pounds a month more expensive than the cheapest supplier using GoCompare, which I thought worthwhile given they are green, but I used a referral code which gave me a £50 credit on my bill so they actually proved to be the cheapest. Please note that the £75 referral codes no longer work, so if you want to switch please use my code (copy and paste this into your browser). The change over was very easy with good communication and now I am with a supplier with only 1 tariff I don't have to worry about being parked on an expensive tariff if i forget to check in a year.

It is against MSE rules to quote referral codes
  • I am currently With Green Energy UK but thinking of joining BULB for price with an Economy 7 tariff as I have an Electric vehicle. My current supplier provided an EDMI-MK7 3 rate Smart meter for their "Tide tariff" electricity and I have to give manual gas readings as they cannot access the EDF Itron smart meter. Can anyone tell me if BULB will replace these meters with new SMART meters if I switch supply of both Electricity and Gas to BULB and if so how quickly will they change the meters?
  • nothing in for bulb to CHANGE smart for smart
  • After several several emails from the MSE Energy Club i decided to switch to a new supplier.
    I've been with SSE for many years and saw that I could now save around £200.
    I thought it would be difficult but had heard many times that it it now much easier to switch.
    I went through the Energy Club recommendations and choose 'bulb' as I saw good reviews for customer service etc and it had a good price.
    But, it's been as difficult as I thought it would be. The two companies won't communicate I'm having to be a liaison and now again my switch has been blocked by SSE.
    The first time was an issue with MPAN numbers and after sorting that out the move has been blocked again.
    It's not easy to get through to either company so I'll be spending ages on the phone again at my own expense.
    Sorry to moan but I had to vent and feel a bit better now.,
    Steve.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Baffles wrote: »
    After several several emails from the MSE Energy Club i decided to switch to a new supplier.
    I've been with SSE for many years and saw that I could now save around £200.
    I thought it would be difficult but had heard many times that it it now much easier to switch.
    I went through the Energy Club recommendations and choose 'bulb' as I saw good reviews for customer service etc and it had a good price.
    But, it's been as difficult as I thought it would be. The two companies won't communicate I'm having to be a liaison and now again my switch has been blocked by SSE.
    The first time was an issue with MPAN numbers and after sorting that out the move has been blocked again.
    It's not easy to get through to either company so I'll be spending ages on the phone again at my own expense.
    Sorry to moan but I had to vent and feel a bit better now.,
    Steve.
    Sounds like SSE are the problem
  • staggered
    staggered Posts: 350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It might be SSE who have caused the issue but it's not a good sign that Bulb aren't doing anything to help.

I would cancel this switch and initiate one to a different company instead who will help push it through.

Bulb are an utter shambles in my experience. I was disappointed at the way they dealt with my account, then angry, now disgusted.
  • billp42
    billp42 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Use Resolver - they sorted out Eversmart who took no notice of me when I was transferring to Bulb. Resolver got action - can't rate them highly enough.
  • I've been with Bulb for few months and at first everything was very smooth. The website was great, although I was bombarded with offers for a smart meter (which I did not take). The prices must have been increased at some point or their estimation system went haywire, because from roughly 70-80 GBP per month it went to well over 100. The usage remained unchanged, but our property is rather unusual: very little gas usage (smart heating) and substantial use of electricity (multiple electronic devices). The rates were no longer attractive and I changed to another provider with cheaper electricity (most focus). I suspect Bulb might be good for traditional users, but the moment you have some technology in the house and your usage estimation goes crazy.
  • billp42 wrote: »
    Use Resolver - they sorted out Eversmart who took no notice of me when I was transferring to Bulb. Resolver got action - can't rate them highly enough.

yup , resolver make complaint to bulb , bulb send automated replay saying will get back within 5 days , 10 days later no reply

sigh

and an erroneous transfer complained about over 4 weeks ago still has not been sorted
  • I did the comparison with the Martin Lewis calculator, checked the economy seven box, input my details and it concluded that Bulb was cheaper than my current energy supplier SSE, so thought 'Great!, let's switch!'
    Or not
    I had an email, reasonably opaque in explanation informing me that as I had related meters (eh?) with two supply points (I will hasten to add I live in a small two bed house not a mansion with different wings..) then I would in fact have to pay two standing charges, so an extra £75 per year, then proceeded to inform me that Bulb would in fact be charging me a standard tariff instead of the ecomony seven rates off peak which completely negates the whole point of economy seven heating (basically cheaper off peak electricity is used to heat electric storage heaters at night, which release the stored energy through the day, they're crap but the village doesn't have mains gas)
    So in essence, I had to stop the switch.
    Really disappointed, clearly economy seven does not suit Bulb despite them indicating otherwise on their comparison checklist.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback