Cryptocurrency Bought on Limited Compay

Hi,

Is it possible to form a limited company as one person (Myself) being the sole director. Then buy Cryptocurrency using that company.

The reason I ask is, I want to invest in Cryptocurrency over the long term, and reduce tax as much as possible legally on any gains when I eventually sell.

So corporation tax instead of Capital Gains tax. Or are there rules in place that would make this not possible?

Not sure of any implications?

Thanks

Comments

• Why invest through a Ltd company?

Through a Ltd you’ll pay 19% CT on any gains (this should reduce to 18% in 2020) but you’ll have no allowances and additional costs and paperwork running the company.

Then, to extract those profits from the company as a dividend you’ll pay further income tax on those dividends (7.5% at basic rate and 32.5% higher rate). If your gains are high enough you’d need to consider extracting your profits over multiple years to avoid pushing your total income over the £100k threshold or you’d start losing your personal allowance.

Invest personally and you have an £11.3k tax free CGT allowance and depending on whether you’re a basic rate or higher/additional rate payer and your total gains you’ll pay either 10% or 20% in CGT.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2018 at 11:33PM
    There is no theoretical reason why not, though there is not a great deal of difference in CGT for higher rate taxpayers and corporation tax.

However, how would you then extract the profit from the company without paying further tax?

Edit: crossed post with TheCyclingProgrammer’s much more detailed response!
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure