Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helprequiredeek
    • By helprequiredeek 12th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    helprequiredeek
    summer let income - own home
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    summer let income - own home 12th Jan 18 at 8:51 PM
    To supplement my income I rent out my home for 4 - 6 weeks through summer. I go and stay with family. During this time I do the cleaning, changeovers and gardening.
    This property is my only property, can I use the allowance of 4,250 ('15-'16) as in renting out a room allowance as this is still technically my address during this time? It doesn't go under the holiday property letting heading as it's not available for enough proportion of the year.
    Does anyone have any knowledge on this please? Thanks.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 6,515 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    I can see where you are coming from, but doubt you can qualify to be running a guest house and thus remain eligible for RAR when you live elsewhere for the period in question and therefore are not performing the cleaning services etc in a part of the property you continue to live in as your home.

the reference to "running a guest house" assumes it is part of the same property you live on/in, but you don't whilst it is let.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rent-a-room-for-traders-hs223-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs223-rent-a-room-scheme-2017

2. When you can!!!8217;t use the Rent-a-Room Scheme
    You can!!!8217;t use the scheme if the accommodation is:
    • not part of your main home when you let it

Therefore you will need to calculate your taxable profits as rent - expenses applicable to the period it was actually let and declare them under the "normal method"
    Last edited by 00ec25; 13-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

5,977Users online

Martin's Twitter