Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Oct 07, 12:07 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Credit Card Reclaiming Discussion
    • 9th Oct 07, 12:07 PM
    Credit Card Reclaiming Discussion 9th Oct 07 at 12:07 PM
    This thread is to specifically discuss the new
    CREDIT CARD RECLAIMING article.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

To report your credit card success: use this thread

To discuss original bank charges reclaiming: use this thread
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 3:01 PM.
Page 3
  • Edinburghlass
    I just heard from my local court that the judge has ordered that my case against barclaycard for credit card charges be stayed pending the result of the test case. I thought that it was only the decision on bank charges that were on hold waiting the result of the test case? Could someone please confirm this for me please........
    Originally posted by soontobesensible
    If you read Martin's article, linked in the first post of this thread, you'll find a section regarding what to do if this happens.
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • IH8Banks
    As a newbie I would like some advise.

I have read all the threads regarding "reclaiming credit card charges" but to find out if the reply I have back from Barclaycard is a standard delaying tactic.

I sent the 1st template letter requesting charges etc and enclosed £10.

Barclaycard have responded with some of the credit card statements but in their letter it states
    'Statements held prior to May 2004 are stored on microfilm which is a means of storage that does not fall within the definition of "relevant filing system" under the Data Protection Act 1998 nor within the bounds of what we are obliged to provide in response to your data subject request as set out on the Information Commissioner's Office website at www.ico.gov.uk'

Should I just resend my original letter highlighting the fact
    Iím not requesting the bills per se, but the charges, which Iím entitled to by law.

Do I need to send another £10 ?:confused: <O</O
    • steve157
    • By steve157 18th Oct 07, 7:13 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    steve157
    Barclaycard
    I'm just wondering if anyone can help.

I'm in the middle of a claim against Barclaycard and it's gone to my local court. I've just had a letter from the court asking me to fill in the allocation questionaire. There is a part on the form that says other information and i was wondering if this would be a good place to point out to the court that this is a credit card case and not bank charges as Barclaycard seem to being getting cases stayed. Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone has an idea of how to word it that would be helpfull to as i'm not great at puting things like this on to paper.

Thanks.
  • Edinburghlass
    You'll find the guide to the AQ in the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature. It is probably a good idea to point out throughout your claim that this is for credit card charges
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • steve157
    • By steve157 19th Oct 07, 1:00 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    steve157
    You'll find the guide to the AQ in the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature. It is probably a good idea to point out throughout your claim that this is for credit card charges
    Originally posted by Edinburghlass
    Thank you for your help.

I'll let you know how i get on.
  • RMP_UK
    Just starting claims with Cap1 and Sainburys and want to clarify one type of charge.

Sorry to be a pain and no doubt this has been asked before but I cannot find it in any of the threads.

I realise that I can claim for 'Late Fees' and 'Overlimit' fees but am not sure about fees raised for 'Unpaid Direct Debit Fees' which occurred when I sent them the monthly payment that then bounced.

Any help greatly appreciated.
  • BANKBANDIT
    Barclaycard
    Called Barclaycard today to see if they were ready to settle befor court . still waiting for a date. the woman i spoke to said they are not ready to settle and continue with court case as it had now been decided that £12 was ok for them to charge and they would not be giving me any more money .:confused: :confused: im very worried now . when i do get a date that im going to loose is it still worth going on with it or give up now,
  • Park Ranger
    I repaid my Goldfish card about a year ago and wrote to them 10 days or so ago using the template letter to ask for details of the charges I'd incurred prior to this. I've received their reply this morning which says that they can't supply the info without seeing proof of ID. Driving license, passport, or birth certificate. Plus, I need to fill in one of their Subject Access Request Forms. None of the details they hold have changed. I'm still at the same address, have the same phone number and have given them the account number.
    Putting aside the fact that a birth certificate isn't proof of ID, are they entitled to ask for this before they process the request or are they just stalling?
  • IH8Banks
    advise needed please.
    Please can someone give me advise on my previous request.:confused:

As a newbie I would like some advise.

I have read all the threads regarding "reclaiming credit card charges" but to find out if the reply I have back from Barclaycard is a standard delaying tactic.

I sent the 1st template letter requesting charges etc and enclosed £10.

Barclaycard have responded with some of the credit card statements but in their letter it states
    'Statements held prior to May 2004 are stored on microfilm which is a means of storage that does not fall within the definition of "relevant filing system" under the Data Protection Act 1998 nor within the bounds of what we are obliged to provide in response to your data subject request as set out on the Information Commissioner's Office website at www.ico.gov.uk'

Should I just resend my original letter highlighting the fact
    Iím not requesting the bills per se, but the charges, which Iím entitled to by law.

Do I need to send another £10 ?:confused: <O</O

<!-- / message -->
  • The Black Cat
    I cant seem to find the link with all the credit card company addresses on, i.e. who to write to when claiming. I have seen it before but cant find it just now, could somebody please post the link, thanks in advance.
  • angelwillow
    I think this is the one you are looking for.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=400981

Good luck!
    • steve157
    • By steve157 21st Oct 07, 12:52 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    steve157
    Barclaycard allocation questionaire
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post6618635 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_6618635>I've just recieved the allocation questionaire from Brentford county court and it has a section for other information which i have drawn there attention to bthe fact that this is a credit card claim and not a bank account claim.

It also says "set out any other information you consider will help the judge to manage or clarify the claim, including any other information you consider should be supplied by the other party"

I'm assuming that this is also where i would tell the court that i want barclaycard to show a breakdown of how they calculate there charges but i'm not sure how to word it. If anyone can help it would be very appreciated as i'm not great at putting these things on paper.

Thanks.

<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2> </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --><!-- post thank you hack --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--function post_thanks_give_6618635()!! do_thanks_button = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_button.onreadystatechange(thanks_button_ Done_6618635) do_thanks_button.send('showthread.html?do=post_tha nks_button_ajax&p=6618635') do_thanks_add = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_add.onreadystatechange(thanks_add_Done_6 618635) do_thanks_add.send('showthread.html?do=post_thanks _add_ajax&p=6618635')}function thanks_button_Done_6618635()!! if (do_thanks_button.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_button.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_button_6618635').innerHT ML = do_thanks_button.handler.responseText }}function thanks_add_Done_6618635()!! if (do_thanks_add.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_add.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_box_6618635').innerHTML = do_thanks_add.handler.responseText }}function post_thanks_remove_all_6618635()!! do_thanks_button = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_button.onreadystatechange(thanks_button_ Done_6618635) do_thanks_button.send('showthread.html?do=post_tha nks_button_add_ajax&p=6618635') do_thanks_remove_all = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_remove_all.onreadystatechange(thanks_rem ove_all_Done_6618635) do_thanks_remove_all.send('showthread.html?do=post _thanks_remove_all_ajax&p=6618635')}function thanks_remove_all_Done_6618635()!! if (do_thanks_remove_all.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_remove_all.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_box_6618635').innerHTML = do_thanks_remove_all.handler.responseText }}function post_thanks_remove_user_6618635()!! do_thanks_button = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_button.onreadystatechange(thanks_button_ Done_6618635) do_thanks_button.send('showthread.html?do=post_tha nks_button_add_ajax&p=6618635') do_thanks_remove_user = new vB_AJAX_Handler(true) do_thanks_remove_user.onreadystatechange(thanks_re move_user_Done_6618635) do_thanks_remove_user.send('showthread.html?do=pos t_thanks_remove_user_ajax&p=6618635')}function thanks_remove_user_Done_6618635()!! if (do_thanks_remove_user.handler.readyState == 4 && do_thanks_remove_user.handler.status == 200) !! fetch_object('post_thanks_box_6618635').innerHTML = do_thanks_remove_user.handler.responseText }}document.write('');//--></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- end post thank you hack --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • nickmac
    Hi - same question as Durian. Have found a few charges for GBP12 both before and after June 2006. My assumption is that I can claim for these as well as any others. Is anyone able to confirm?

thanks

Hi

This is my first post. I just want to know if anybody has successfully claimed late penalty charges for GBP12. I know it is still deemed unfair and unlawful but if there is any success, I would appreciate to have a copy of the letter to start my "hunt".

Many thanks
    Originally posted by durian
    • gordgoodfellow
    • By gordgoodfellow 22nd Oct 07, 10:28 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gordgoodfellow
    Barclaycard Claiming Bank Status
    Barclaycard owes me around £600 in charges which I was on the point of claiming back. I was at the stage when I was about to take them to court when the Office of Filthy Traitors decided to weigh in and suddenly all the bank reclaims were put on hold (probably for the next four years or longer).

Barclaycard suddenly declared that they were a bank, as they were part of Barclays (which was strange, because when I originally applied for my Barclaycard they told me they had nothing to do with Barclays). As such, they said, they were subject to the same "on hold" status as the high street banks.

There seems to be nothing I can do about this, and the law seems to agree with Barclaycard. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
  • angelwillow
    I got the full amount claimed from barclaycard,well I will have when it gets credited.
    Claimed via the FO and barclaycard offered the full amount plus interest fairly quickly.
    So keep at them and good luck!
  • owzatsteve
    evening guys ,some advice please got 5 claim going for credit card charges 2 of these are with citi cards who we have worked out owe us £2779 but they have sent us a letter stating that they find there charges were fair and under no circumstances will they be offering us anything back as because of the ongoing court case they are winning 90% of there cases and are indeed now going through the throws of taking us to court now we are very worried as after going through this process for so long we can no longer afford these debts any advice would be greatly appreciated many thanks steve
  • chocky monster
    What if credit card closed????
    Hi people,

Im new to this so bear with me. I want to reclaim charges on a card that i still have, but also, I wondered if I can claim on two cards that I closed already? I had a quite a few charges on them and ended up getting a loan to pay the full balance on both and then closed them. Could someone help me out on this please? cheers
  • suelumsden
    You can claim on closed accounts as long as the charges are no older than 6 years when you send the first correspondence. I have done it with Barclaycard and Cap One. Good luck.
    • owen22
    • By owen22 23rd Oct 07, 5:43 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    owen22
    Combining letters to stop delay tactics?
    Hi, just got my BarclayCard statements through the post (after only 2 weeks and no chasing up!) and I've now got my claim figure worked out.

Having read the guide it seems there are various ways of delaying. Is it worth pre-empting these tactics by stating in my initial claim letter that I realise the charges were detailed in the T&Cs, pointing out that cases against credit card lenders have NOT been stayed due to bank test-case etc. and stating that I will be taking court action if they do not settle?

I'm trying to avoid having to write 3 or 4 more letters before they start taking me seriously.

What do others think?
  • angelwillow
    Sorry to say that I don't think it would make any difference as they just seem to send out the 'standard letters' each time changing the name/details etc.
    Probably best just to go through with the letters as atleast then you can say that you gave them the time and oppertunity to respond or they could come back on you for that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,499Posts Today

8,537Users online

Martin's Twitter