Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • koru
    • By koru 28th Jan 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    koru
    I have a smart meter already. I'm pointing out that if you have one and you want to switch from the company that installed it, not all of them can use it to do remote readings. So unless you are happy to go back to manual readings (in which case there was no point in a smart meter), your choice of suppliers is more limited.
    koru
    • Flyingfemme
    • By Flyingfemme 20th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flyingfemme
    Where to go after Ofgem
    I have a small business that uses electricity and is supplied by British Gas with a smart meter. The meter was inherited when we bought our property and the previous owner was a huge conglomerate - which may have affected the classification of this meter.
    In 2016 the government decreed that all "large user" classifications of meter had to be moved to a single type of user and all these users would have to go onto half hourly billing. We were caught in this net - despite being everything that the goverment defines as a microbusiness and qualifying for simpler rates and bills.
    Large users negotiate their prices with the supplier but we are unable to do this since no supplier will waste their time with an account that totals around a thousand pounds a year!
    I went to Ofgem to try and find out how to get our meter and account reclassified but, eventually, was told to get lost because there was nothing they could do for me. The supplier blames the network operator and the network operator blames the supplier. Meanwhile my fixed price contract came to an end............without the muscle to negotiate a decent rate I have seen my standing charge go from 26p to 95p per day while the individual unit rates have gone double (in the summer) or quadruple (in the winter).
    Where does one go after Ofgem? What are other small businesses paying for electricity?
    • koru
    • By koru 20th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    koru
    What are other small businesses paying for electricity?
    Originally posted by Flyingfemme
    For electric we pay 23p standing charge and 11p per kWh. We use about 6000 kWh per year. (Opus 12m fixed rate)
    koru
    • koru
    • By koru 20th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    koru
    Where does one go after Ofgem?
    Originally posted by Flyingfemme
    Maybe try one of the energy brokers, who might have more experience of how to get the classification changed. Business Juice claims to provide an ongoing service, rather than just finding the cheapest deal for you.
    koru
    • Sandybanks
    • By Sandybanks 5th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Sandybanks
    How to solve a problem like British Gas
    [QUOTE=Flyingfemme;72723945]I have a small business that uses electricity and is supplied by British Gas with a smart meter. The meter was inherited when we bought our property and the previous owner was a huge conglomerate - which may have affected the classification of this meter.QUOTE]

Firstly if you have more than one meter on the property or maybe you have 2 properties you can sign yourself up to the Ecoes electricity site register and see what the meter is recorded as.
    Secondly, having dealt with British Gas several times they are not the best at sorting problems but you will get a response from the chief executive. Ask them for a copy of their current terms and conditions and I think you will find that if you fall into the classification as a micro business they have to treat you as one. Keep writing to the chief executive until he sorts your problem and demand a refund for the over charging. Don't waste your time with anyone lower in the company.
    Its your supplier who changes the classification, Extra Energy changed 2 of my meter classifications without telling me.

Change to either a small supplier with a very high reputation for customer service or a larger company that in your area is both supplier and generator like Eon. As said dont go for the cheapest if you have problems to solve.
    British gas prices for a contract stated last year, including the 6% direct discount were 10.77p unit & 22.94p standing. 12,000kwh.
    If you have a low usage be aware of the 5% v 20% vat and the climate levy.
    • SJT73
    • By SJT73 12th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJT73
    Evening All - looking for some advice. In June 17 a new electricity contract was agreed for 3 commercial premises via a broker. They offered a fixed contract and a pass thru contract. The broker quoted our apparent new fixed rates from our current supplier which turned out to be considerably more expensive than that actually quoted direct from the supplier. The pass thru contract day/night rates were much more competitive but I'd prefer not to talk about the non-commodity costs!! Therefore the first question is; can a broker offer day/night rates which are considerably more than the actual supplier - is this legitimate dealings or could it be considered mis-selling? The supplier has supplied with me the full illustration for the pass thru (the one I went with) which they supplied to the broker. I now want to ask for the illustration of the fixed product provided to the supplier - do they have to supply this or can they refuse? All this said, we have now just sold two of the buildings and are about to sell the 3rd - would we be able to do a CoT for these 3 buildings which in turn would mean we would be able to change suppliers? Any advise on any of the above would be very much appreciated.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 12th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    anniecave

All this said, we have now just sold two of the buildings and are about to sell the 3rd - would we be able to do a CoT for these 3 buildings which in turn would mean we would be able to change suppliers? Any advise on any of the above would be very much appreciated.
    Originally posted by SJT73
    I'm not sure of your first questions. However if you have legitimately sold any or all of the properties to an unrelated party with no ongoing relationship to the properties (you won't continue to be a tenant for example) then certainly COT (if you mean change of tenancy) or COO (change of occupancy as some suppliers refer to it) applies and your contact with any energy supplier would end. If you have a contract directly with a broker rather than a supplier you'd need to check the details of that contract. If you are continuing to be a tenant at the property then COT or COO wouldn't apply.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • SJT73
    • By SJT73 14th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SJT73
    Thank you Anniecave. A little more advice would appreciated. We have legimately sold the 3 buildings to an unrelated party. All buildings are multi tenanted however we have never ever actually occupied two of the buildings whereas in one of the buildings we will technically remain, however the company will no longer have any responsibilities and a new lease will be put in place with another company who will subsequently take over responsibility. In this circumstance would a CoT still be possible?
    • spartanmk
    • By spartanmk 3rd Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spartanmk
    Bse energy
    Hello, I am new to this but looking for some advice. My girlfriend received a phone call from a broker yesterday regarding her new small business and has now found herself roped into a 5 year contract with BES Utilities. She did tell them 5 years did not suit but she was told it was ok as she could cancel whenever she wanted. I am looking for some help/advice as to where she stands in relation to cancelling the contract as it was only yesterday is there a cooling off period?

Any replies would be appreciated.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 3rd Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 38,626 Posts
    • 35,358 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    B2B contracts do not usually have a cooling off period. Has she read the contract? What does that say about cancellation?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • spartanmk
    • By spartanmk 4th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spartanmk
    It basically just says there is penalty charges which on looking at will probably be very excessive. she never agreed a start date on the phone with them however they have put a start date of 23rd March 2018.

also on the contract the term says ("60 months from the supply start date (to be confirmed in writing when finalised")
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 4th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 38,626 Posts
    • 35,358 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Given that it seems to imply that the contract is not yet confirmed because it has not yet been signed, she could try replying along the lines of rejecting the contract because the terms she was given verbally are not matched in the written contract. But I'd suggest some googling to find legal backing for that.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Finch7
    • By Finch7 6th Jun 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 2,751 Thanks
    Finch7
    Currently entering the minefield of business elec and gas provision, maybe a very basic question but would welcome any input.

Domestically, I am happy to use an independent based on customer feedback and reviews.

However, when talking to a broker they have played on the Big6 because there is a potential for supply to be cut from a smaller company and they wouldn't allow access to the meters for supply upto 30 days?! As a business, there is a requirement for constant supply so the thought of being without means I am very much edging from an independent...BUT

I thought the point was the supply lines to anywhere is not owned by the company, so I would be able to get another supplier in? I am conscious the broker would probably get a slightly heftier referral bonus from a Big6 than a smaller independent...but I don't want to be too cynical.

Thoughts?
    • koru
    • By koru 6th Jun 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    koru
    Currently entering the minefield of business elec and gas provision, maybe a very basic question but would welcome any input.

Domestically, I am happy to use an independent based on customer feedback and reviews.

However, when talking to a broker they have played on the Big6 because there is a potential for supply to be cut from a smaller company and they wouldn't allow access to the meters for supply upto 30 days?! As a business, there is a requirement for constant supply so the thought of being without means I am very much edging from an independent...BUT

I thought the point was the supply lines to anywhere is not owned by the company, so I would be able to get another supplier in? I am conscious the broker would probably get a slightly heftier referral bonus from a Big6 than a smaller independent...but I don't want to be too cynical.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Finch7
    Sounds like BS to me. I'd find a different broker.
    koru
    • Sandybanks
    • By Sandybanks 6th Jun 18, 2:18 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Sandybanks
    Solution, Use the same supplier for Domestic and Business
    Having organised the energy supply for several small businesses over the last 6 years and used many small and large suppliers with and without a broker I can offer this.
    There will be lots of mistakes to resolve whoever you use and the more people involved the harder it is to solve.

Im guessing that quality brokers make money by arranging trouble free contracts for clients. The more problems they have to spend time on the less money they make. Therefore they will want to deal with energy companies who make less mistakes and are quick to correct them. Its also possible that the big 6 pay larger commissions to their brokers than small independents. Also brokers who have been in business for some time will have experience of a number of energy companies and how much extra work is involved in dealing with each. I certainly would not deal with Extra Energy again and would be very wary of any broker who recommended them.

Some of the independent companies don't deal with brokers, I assume because the commission they pay them would make their prices less competitive. I think Octopus is one of these. I wont hesitate to recommend Octopus their customer service reply and ability to resolve your problem is fantastic. They also happily hand out 50 on recommendations to both you and the person you recommended. They were even happy to let us recommend our business from our domestic account so we got 100 cash back.
    Another independent company that has great customer service is Zog who at the moment only do Gas however i believe they are looking into supplying electric towards the end of this year.
    I trialed both of these independent suppliers as domestic suppliers first and then used them for business when I was happy with their performance.

Should you wish to give Octopus a go I would be happy for you to use my recommendation code [Referral Removed]
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 08-06-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

2,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin