Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happytails
    • By happytails 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,515Posts
    • 9,224Thanks
    happytails
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread...
    • #1
    • 27th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    The NEW waiting to exchange thread... 27th Jul 17 at 5:20 PM
    So the other thread has gone awol so thought i'd start a new one! It was keeping me sort of sane during the house buying/selling process!

    A place to document your timelines and discuss the triumphs and woes of moving house!




    My timeline -
    Offer received and accepted on our house 17/07
    Offer made and accepted on the house we want 17/07
    Solicitors Instructed 17/07
    Meeting with mortgage advisor, all docs given 18/07
    Mortgage application submitted to Nationwide 19/07
    Documents picked up and filled in from Solicitor 19/07
    Documents and ID returned to Solcitor 20/07
    Valuation booked 20/07
    Solicitor composes draft contract & starts local searches 25/07
    Valuation carried out 26/07
    Solicitor gave us our fixtures and fittings form for purchase and requested marriage certificate 26/07
    My buyers valuation carried out 27/07
    Mortgage offer given 27/07

    Sarah

    Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

    Hi all! For more help with your move read our guide:

    50+ House Buying Tips
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Sarah,

    Trying to move up the house ladder in 2018, running a business with 3 kids in tow & slowly going crazy!
    Member No43 - % Challenge
Page 106
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 12th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    We have one outstanding query regarding a FENSA certificate I believe -and then we're ready to go.


    Signing Documents Monday, with a view to exchanging a week today!!
    Originally posted by Firsttimebuyers
    If you are waiting on copies of certs you can just go on line and look them up
    • Firsttimebuyers
    • By Firsttimebuyers 12th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Firsttimebuyers
    If you are waiting on copies of certs you can just go on line and look them up
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981

    Really? The solicitor is expecting them today or Monday anyway, but good to know thanks.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 12th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Our surveyor called and said he was happy with the value of the house and it's in pretty good nick considering it's age, the wonky floors and walls and all the other eccentricities are all to be expected. He said he would love to live in it himself.

    Gins all round tonight. Have a good weekend everyone.
    Originally posted by vicki2221
    I'd love to see your new home it sounds wonderful !!!!
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 12th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Yep, we were asked to provide ours and just said to the vendor to look them up and they were happy to do this and saved so much time ..shame the people who own the house we are buying didn't realise this because they held off just because of 1 silly cert when all the windows are coming out anyway !
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 12th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Just waiting for our buyer's searches to come through, and then we should exchange in the next 10 days, and we have a tentative completion date of 9th Feb. Woohoo!
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 12th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    RXT156
    Hi all!!
    Solicitor emailed today saying that we are awaiting the last enquiry from the sellers solicitor when I can go in and sign EEK!!! Progress!! Woohoooo!!!

    How long usually is it that you exchange after signing?

    The end is in sight !!!128512;
    • chazzab
    • By chazzab 12th Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    chazzab
    Yay for good news for some of you! It!!!8217;s the weekend so you can breathe now if only for two days.
    Good news is our buyer has been told to send all her monies over to her solicitor as we ticked off the last outstanding enquiry today - yay! The buyer is off on holiday so needed to be ready for exchange while she!!!8217;s away.

    We are still clock watching waiting for our vendor to get back in the country on the 20th then will be hounding them like a dog to get back to their solicitor. Frustrating as it!!!8217;s really simple questions to ask but as he!!!8217;s elderly I don!!!8217;t think he has access to email whilst he is away.

    I don!!!8217;t want to jinx things, but since the buyer is set ready to go... and nothing our vendor comes back with should stop the sale.... is it premature to start packing !! I!!!8217;ll behave and not touch it but it!!!8217;s so so tempting.
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 12th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Ooh we!!!8217;ve had positive movement today!! I!!!8217;m joining in on the gins! Buyers are happy to proceed after a bit of meet in the middle activity post-survey, vendors are ready to sign for their onward purchase, the vendors of which are moving into rented. My solicitor is waiting on a few forms that our vendors solicitor hadn!!!8217;t made him aware were requested. And we have agreed to buy the cooker! We might be in a position to sign contracts next week! I!!!8217;m also interested in the question above, how long after signing do you then wait to exchange?
    For anyone else lurking on this thread, I fully recommend direct contact with your buyers/vendors if possible, rather than relying on solicitors and estate agents. We!!!8217;ve been waiting weeks for some info that took less than half an hour to obtain when we went direct.
    • Trezza1985
    • By Trezza1985 12th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Trezza1985
    Hi all got a question.
    Got a £1000 retention on mortgage offer to have inspected before exchange.
    Have had this done an came back with £2900 for repairs.
    Renegotiated and got a £2000 drop on purchase price.

    My question is will this remove the retention or will I get a retention of £2900 because of the quote .
    Thanks
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 12th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Hi all!!
    Solicitor emailed today saying that we are awaiting the last enquiry from the sellers solicitor when I can go in and sign EEK!!! Progress!! Woohoooo!!!

    How long usually is it that you exchange after signing?

    The end is in sight !!!128512;
    Originally posted by RXT156
    We pre-signed the contracts a few weeks ago (selling and buying) - the solicitor is holding them till all parties are ready, and then they coordinate so it all happens and money changes hands.
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 12th Jan 18, 10:06 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    Evening Everyone...

    Congrats Man and Kate

    Good and Bad News...

    Spent all day on the phone to the Lord and his Mum today....
    Sellers were meant to get their ID checked at 2pm prior to exchange...they didnt answer their calls till 3pm
    Sellers Sols werent very fast on returning calls either so left it to late to exchange.
    But solictors confirmed completion date is next friday so can draw funds and we will "offically" exchange on Monday

    Hope everyones ok??
    xx
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 12th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    Another thought I have just had....
    Is there a thread for after completion where we can all talk about our new homes??

    I dont think im ready to move on yet
    If not...can we make one? lol
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 13th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    well i had to call my sol 3x yesterday just to get some progress. In despair called them aft 430pm for any update...which they said waiting for vendor sol to reply regarding clearing the restriction on convenant. Something i have been asking for since start of December still not resolved!!! I told my sol major risk of completion in 2 weeks not being achieved.

    DAK think its worth texting the vendor to ask him what is the holdup, and this unresolved issue could delay the process? No chain either side, but he is buying an vacant house, and his sol made it clear last week final completion date is no later than 26th Jan!
    Last edited by mutley74; 13-01-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    • JaneyLouWho
    • By JaneyLouWho 13th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    JaneyLouWho
    Mutley, I think texting your vendor is a good idea - a nice polite nudge never harmed anyone! I did the same thing yesterday, turns out his solicitor hadn!!!8217;t passed on the enquiries that my solicitor was waiting for, so the whole thing was at a bit of a standstill. I!!!8217;m hoping things get resolved early next week and it could have dragged on ages if I!!!8217;d avoided contacting the vendor directly,
    Last edited by JaneyLouWho; 24-01-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 13th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    Another thought I have just had....
    Is there a thread for after completion where we can all talk about our new homes??

    I dont think im ready to move on yet
    If not...can we make one? lol
    Originally posted by SassySaver88

    If you start one let us know
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 13th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    If you start one let us know
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981
    I will I'll make it now xxxx
    • SassySaver88
    • By SassySaver88 13th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    SassySaver88
    If you start one let us know
    Originally posted by Littlebobo1981

    Here it is hun...

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774824
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 8,182 Posts
    • 40,593 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ha, excellent work setting up a post completion thread might be a while til I join you, I've got quite comfotable in this one having been here for over 5 months
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 14th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 3,834 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    Mutely, I think texting your vendor is a good idea - a nice polite nudge never harmed anyone! I did the same thing yesterday, turns out his solicitor hadnít passed on the enquiries that my solicitor was waiting for, so the whole thing was at a bit of a standstill. Iím hoping things get resolved early next week and it could have dragged on ages if Iíd avoided contacting the vendor directly,
    Originally posted by JaneyLouWho
    I'm debating the idea to text him. Thing is last year he was okay replying to texts, but had a good whine about things when I met him. I don't want to cloud the situation and affect the legal side, but so far it looks like it will be delayed if his sol is not doing anything about the covenant restriction (which they raised in November themselves!!).
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 14th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981

    Really hope i'm there soon !!!

    Quick question we have been asked to provide buildings insurance details for the period in-between exchange and completion ..they need this information with all the signed paperwork but how on earth am i know when to start the policy ?!..given im still waiting for the indemnity policy from our sols i loath to arrange anything but dont want to cause any further delay ..what would you do ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

6,011Users online

Martin's Twitter