Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ML4198
    • By ML4198 8th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ML4198
    Extra income on IVA
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    Extra income on IVA 8th Jan 18 at 10:35 AM
    Hi all, I am new to the forum and wasnít sure where to post so sorry if this is in the wrong catergory.
    I took out an IVA around 6 months ago for approx 15,000 debt to 4 creditors. I pay back 110 a month.
    When I took out this IVA the terms were that if I earn more than 870 a month, half of this must be given to the company.
    As I am on a zero hours contract my wages differ every month, some months I go way over the limit some months I am well below. I havenít sent any of the extra money in, I am scared that when it comes to my annual review I will be terminated for not paying this extra money in. Can anyone please shed some light on what will happen? Will the IVA be cancelled or will they look at the times when I wasnít paid much and average it out or could they work out how much I could of paid and bill me for it?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
Page 1
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    When I worked for an IVA company we averaged it our over a 6 month period. I was lead to believe that most companies did the reviews over 6 month periods too.

Your best bet is to call your IVA company and ask. you will not benefit from waiting until your annual review. For 1, not sending in your proof of income is a breach, 2, you may be worrying for months on end for no reason, 3. If you have got monies due it will only be harder to pay it in when you have spent it!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    • 14,368 Posts
    • 13,553 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    My IVA was reviewed on a yearly basis. A one off overtime or a bonus payment is not regarded as a permanent pay increase. The extra money you get will not necessarily be replicated in following months. As such these payments are treated differently.

Where the overtime or bonus is 10% or less of your normal monthly take home pay you can keep the extra money. However where it exceeds 10% you must pay 50% of the excess into into your IVA.

In other words if your normal take home pay is £1000 and you earn up to an extra £100 (10%) in any particular month you can keep this money. However if you earn £300 more you keep £200. The other £100 must be paid into the agreement.

However, always check with your IP!!!8217;s office first.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,793Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin