MSE Poll: Take our life skills test

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Im loving the wallpaper figures. Clearly im not in the only househld where the woman takes charge with wallpapering. Theres something about wallpapering that millennial men cant handle. I can do it, but i dont half get angry by it.

Can do everything on the list, never done CPR in anger but had first aid courses where the instructor approved my competence. Never actually done a tax return but i work as a bookkepper so thinking it would be relatively straight forward.
  • Im nearly 77, so I've done most things in life ( big claim) but chopsticks? Life's too short.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Over 60 and there are only 3 things on the list that I have never had to do so don't know if I can do them or not.

Duncan, are really over 60? That’s ancient for a dog:rotfl:
  • Only having two age groups is too restricted. Think it would have been better to have had 3 groups = under 30 - 30 to 50 - 50 plus
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    khris210 wrote: »
    Im nearly 77, so I've done most things in life ( big claim) but chopsticks? Life's too short.

I was in a Chinese in Blackpool and asked for chopsticks and it took them about ten minutes to find some! I also asked where was a good place to go after and she said "home". Love the honesty about Blackpool!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    flea72 wrote: »
    But as already pointed out, most appliances come with moulded plugs now, so very few people need to wire a plug, yet the score is high across the board. Also in the scheme of things, very few people file tax returns or have carried out CPR, but the poll results show they can.

I'm a male under 40 and I've wired a few plugs in my time. I also ticked the option for CPR. While I've never had to use it as such I have had first aid training so I do know how to do it and I expect most that ticked it are in the same position.

The more DIY options caught me out as I've never owned a house and therefore never needed to put up wallpaper and the like.

In reality I could do anything on the list, I'd just google it. That's got me out of a few situations and saved me a lot of money in the past.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had to say "no" for some things where I just don't know.

e.g. driving overseas/other side .... never been, so no idea if I can do it :)

e.g. change a nappy .... never had to. I'd not ever choose to do it and if I saw it coming I'd hide until somebody else'd been picked, but it's not that I couldn't do it, it'd just gross me out.

e.g. build a campfire .... never had to. I'm not sure who would've had to... and it doesn't say if using a flint, or a lighter. I COULD, but I said "no" because I've never actually done it, so can't swear to it. I used to build/light a fire in the grate years ago..... same thing!

Ditto some of the others...
  • For me there are 5 I've never needed to but am sure I could figure out if I had to:
    Fill in a tax return
    Change a nappy - No but I can clean a cat litter tray
    Build a campfire
    Backup and reinstall smartphone apps - I don't use many apps anyway so never really seen the need.

and 1 I have tried and failed miserably
    Putting up wallpaper straight - One of the reasons I prefer painted walls
  • pollypenny wrote: »
    Now, the type of nappy would be crucial! How many could put a large square towelling nappy on a wriggling baby. :)

Hadn't thought of that. I assumed it came with instructions on the packet. (The nappy, not the baby.)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    flea72 wrote: »
    very few people file tax returns or have carried out CPR, but the poll results show they can.

It was a little vague, so I answered based on tax returns just taking figures from different places and because you're filling it online then you can google anything you don't understand.

I did do CPR training decades ago, I don't know that I could remember it in time & practicing on a live subject who is in the middle of dying would make me hesitant to say that I could do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure