"Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Managed a tea party for 5 kids and three parents with the help of a friend. We recovered by doing the clearing up and eating the leftovers, and then took down the Christmas decorations.

Today we have packed up most of the kitchen and hung some pictures in the sitting room. My friend had to go home to do her own tidying and ironing in preparation for the work week, but I've done quite well since she left - more stuff put away and lots of laundry done. Haven't done the cooking though, so need to get up early and turn as much of the rest of the contents of the fridge into freezeable food as possible.

Email from the builder suggests they won't be starting tomorrow as they don't have a quote and a date for the electrician yet - they just know he'll be here sometime this week. I did send back a list of things that can be done in the meantime (blinds, mirror, front door, garage doors etc) and they need to take the utility room units out and the white goods. However, an extra day (or even half day) will at least mean I get the food dealt with.

There's a funny smell in the downstairs loo/hall/office. Not sure what it is or where exactly it is coming from, but I need to get to the source of it.

I also have a pre-starting work trip to sort out travel for - a 7am saturday flight is not exactly filling me with joy. But I guess I'll have to get used to it as it's only a couple of weeks till I need to get back into the work habit.
  • greenbee
    Travel sorted out - airport parking and hotel booked as it's the only sane option.

Builder has called - electrician is starting tomorrow and builder will be here to seal off the kitchen, move the remaining furniture out, and do all the odd jobs that I need done. I managed to get a LOT of soup made, so when I get the kitchen back I'll have things to eat without needing to do proper cooking.

Cleaner was here today and we've moved some furniture around - swapped sofas in the sitting room and moved the bedroom furniture around. I need to sort out the carpet now (it needs straightening, and may well need gripper round the edges and put up some pictures.

Last couple of blinds are also due for delivery today, so they'll be ready to go up tomorrow which will help things to look a bit more finished.

I guess I should get out for a run, as at least I'll be able to wash my running stuff today. And I need to do my hand washing as well.

I think the only decision I haven't made yet is the kitchen floor. And I need to email the kitchen people for photos of the second-hand kitchen they are offering me.
  • greenbee
    Builders and electrician arrived this morning. Kitchen/utility are sealed off, all furniture is out but white goods are still in (so I made scrambled eggs for supper and will put a load of washing on before bed... and at some point empty the water out of the defrosted freezer and put the drawers back in). Wiring should be in place tomorrow. Old soil pipe is out. Unused cold water pipe is out. Dado rail/paper border/tiles & tile adhesive/flaky paint all dealt with. Hot water pipe will be moved tomorrow. Then they can box in and start plastering the kitchen.

So paint and flooring decisions need to be made early next week, as do WM/TD. Timing is tight but they think they should make the deadline, despite my additional requests for blinds to be put up, bathroom mirror & lights to be dealt with, mantel to go up, picture hooks and coat hooks to be put up and the bedroom window frame to be inspected from the outside.

I need to remind them that the window frame and the coat hooks are a priority...

Work starts in a week and a half, and I have an unofficial work trip this weekend. Not a bad time to be away, given the state of the laundry & catering facilities!
  • greenbee
    Oh... and I have dark purple glittery toenails... I'm making the most of my gardening leave :)
  • greenbee
    Kitchen lighting and wiring is done. Old soil stack has been removed and hot water pipe moved into the corner. Ceiling has been repaired. Tomorrow they'll skim the kitchen and it'll be left to dry out over the weekend. Monday they'll do the utility room and then latex the floors with the underfloor heating in. Hopefully I have a couple of friends visiting on Monday who will take the WM, TD and some of the utility room units away.

So tomorrow I need to do a final bit of shopping for my work weekend away and then pack and head off and concentrate on work.
  • greenbee
    Work weekend was fabulous and I'm REALLY looking forward to starting work ... so I need to get the house sorted. Paint colours, flooring and white goods need choosing asap.
  • greenbee
    Have located the white goods I want (I think) but don't have a date yet as to when they can be installed so am putting off ordering them.

Ceilings and coving and mist coat are sorted (white!) and we may leave the final colour to be done when the kitchen is fitted which will save time and a decision at this stage.

Someone is arriving shortly to pick up as many of the utility room units as we can fit in her car. Builders will be helping as we need to free up the garage space for white goods.

Tree surgeons have nearly finished and the garden is looking bare but surprisingly un-messy. All the stumps have been ground out and anything that is suitable for logs has been left for me to split. They're also going to quote for cutting the hedge and book it into be done twice a year, so I don't have to think about it.

And I've put mole traps down as there's another one of the pesky things running about under the grass.

I think I've made a decision on the floor tiles, so need to go and pick up a sample once all the people are out of my drive.

I was going to go for a run, but it keeps raining and people keep asking questions.
  • greenbee
    So on Monday evening the builders seemed to think that they'd be running over into next week. Which made me hugely stressed as I start my new job on Monday and really don't want to be doing that with no cooking or laundry facilities, piles of boxes everywhere and noise and dust. Plus there would only be one of them next week which would make putting all the white goods back rather hard work.

I barely slept on Monday night, and yesterday morning - just before I went out - I said that they had to finish by Monday, so to come up with a plan for what would be done by then - bearing in mind that everything has to be useable. If it meant not tiling the floor or whatever, it would just have to wait.

I came back in briefly and we had another chat about options including them working late on Thursday and over the weekend (I'm away) I then went out for lunch and a walk. By the time I got back we seemed to be back on schedule...

Electrician arrived at 8am, so kitchen lighting is going in and we've agreed what needs to happen in the utility room in terms of electrics. I've been to pilates and the sun is now shining, so I should probably go out and do some gardening given that everyone else is being productive! There is only one bed left to weed and if I can do that and tip the last of the bulbs (which should have been planted in November) in there, then I'm pretty much on track with the garden.
  • greenbee
    Oh... and I offloaded 2 pairs of curtains, my old heating controls and a whole lot of curtain poles and fixings on some friends who should make good use of them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback