Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Peter_Brodie
    Options
    Focus do it all give a discount card to over 60s - think you get 15% off everything you buy.
    It's 10% - and available all week :j, unlike B&Q's Wednesday only discount.
  • Stuartli
    Stuartli Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    robhac wrote: »
    I've just received my Merseyside travel pass. I can use the buses, the Mersey ferries, ( if only they would stop playing that song), Merseyrail which can take me as far as Liverpool, Southport and Chester. Unfortunately Cheshire residents can't use their pass on Merseyrail.

MerseyTravel, which administers the Merseyside travel pass scheme (it's been available for about 20 years now, covering buses, trains and ferries), stated last week that New Labour's sneaking intention (very cleverly kept quiet for as long as it was possible) to raise the age of free local bus travel eligibility to 65 will not apply in its area.

The scheme will remain exactly as it is now and Merseyrail added that the extra cost involved will be quite small overall.
  • Riverbird
    Options
    Frankl wrote: »
    Wyevale are now owned by a company called Garden Centres and no longer give a 10% discount. Instead they give double points on their new card on Tuesdays.
    National Trust only offer a pensioner discount if you have been a member for at least 5 years.

The Scottish National Trust gives you free entry to all English National Trust properties and car parks. Their older age membership also makes it cheaper to join than the English one, and there is no qualifying previous membership required.
    You can also pay by monthly instalment. No English handbook guide though, but an excellent Scottish one. Not quite sure why the English NT makes it much harder. I only had four years membership previously so could not take advantage so changed to SNT. Brilliant and fast service when joining or with questions.
  • salthepal
    salthepal Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    PP60 wrote: »
    The Boots discount for over 60's has been mentioned, but it is so easy to set up.
    At the till you just need to show proof of age along with your Boots card and they set it up there and then.
    You then get discount on all Boots products and best of all you get the discount of the Boots meal deal, which is brilliant value.

Is the Boots discount 10%?
  • mbl1950
    mbl1950 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I discovered you can get 10% discount on a senior citizen railcard by entering "senior10" in the promotional code window on the online application form.

PS I've been getting senior citizen discounts on football tickets, cinema tickets, pub lunches and much more since I was about 55. No one has ever asked me for proof of age !!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mbl1950 wrote: »
    I discovered you can get 10% discount on a senior citizen railcard by entering "senior10" in the promotional code window on the online application form.
    that's a bit bizarre, isn't it? I mean, it's not as if anyone underage can apply for it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • gembry
    Options
    First post here but the NT pensioner rate caught my eye.
    Am sure people are aware U can join the NT for Scotland
    and its cheaper still but can be used all over UK ?:)
  • interesting_person
    Options
    Are there any discounts for over 50s?
    :DInteresting Person
  • diesel1950
    Options
    :mad:We had a warm front grant,it was cleared to be installed for the summer,when I kept ringing to see when they were coming they said the plumbing bits(boiler ect) had not been sent to them. The grant people said they had. They came in January and I had not heat or hot water for two days.Making sure they kept their plumbers in work over winter I think. I have had nothing but trouble with the boiler.The last plumber that came out said that these boilers were no good,and that is why they are being used for warm front grants.They took my potterton boiler and gave me an asis one. I wonder if the director of this company has a link to an MP?
    Arthurian wrote: »
    Alarm bells ring with this. I could be wrong and cynical, but their website has no "contact us" details. All I could find was that the website was run by The Eco Campaign, which leads me to wonder if it is The Eco Campaign Ltd, of 83 Bollin Drive, Congleton, Cheshire, CW12 3RR (nearest I could find by googling). Feel free to Google Earth Street View it (look for the dustbin with 83 on it and the letting agent's sign). Why don't they put an address or phone number on the website? The government's warm front scheme has been highly criticised as leading people to use special contractor/installers who charge so highly that people would have been better off not applying for the grant but just using a local contractor/installer. I wonder if this website does the same "Apply for this lovely grant and we'll put you in touch with one of our lovely installers ;) "
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    diesel1950 wrote: »
    :mad:We had a warm front grant,it was cleared to be installed for the summer,when I kept ringing to see when they were coming they said the plumbing bits(boiler ect) had not been sent to them. The grant people said they had. They came in January and I had not heat or hot water for two days.Making sure they kept their plumbers in work over winter I think. I have had nothing but trouble with the boiler.The last plumber that came out said that these boilers were no good,and that is why they are being used for warm front grants.They took my potterton boiler and gave me an asis one. I wonder if the director of this company has a link to an MP?

:think: The original message I was replying to, with my quote above, seems to have disappeared. Just to make sense of what diesel1950 posted above, it mentioned http://www.governmentheatinggrants.co.uk/ which is "the website" I was doubtful about. :undecided
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback