Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Ok not been using this forum very much, but I do look most days to see what's going on. Think I need to stop being shy, start a thread and join in the banter on here.

Lately I've revamped my shopping thanks to everybody on this board. I still wanna continue to save and make my shopping go further.

Rather than me experimenting with lots of unknown brands from Aldi and Lidi I thought it would be a good idea if we could list stuff we all have tried, but most importantly 'liked'

So I would recommend you all have a try of:

(Lidl) Freshvale Cooked Ham - @2.59 for 400g
Great value for money and it's very tasty and has no added water.

Anymore suggestions?

Comments

• jo132000
    jo132000 Posts: 735
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I love Aldi's version of Oreo's and blue ribbon bars.
    Wins for 2022: Hydratem8 Water bottle, diary, flowers, Good food show tickets, childrens books x3,
    Thanks to all who post the comps & please let the comping fairy sprinkle dust on my entries!
  • li'l_p
    li'l_p Posts: 797 Forumite
    We used to get the fishcakes at Aldi: they do a sweet chilli sauce and a honey mustard sauce variation, which were yummy until we had a bad batch about 2 months ago, the sauce was a bit funny and partner bit into a real fishy/off-tasting 'lump' and ended up throwing up in the bin! That put paid to one of our favourite ever foods from Aldi! We might get the confidence to try them again soon.

Love, love, love Aldi. Shop there every week and save a fortune, we used to shop at Asda before we had our little one (now 2) and we get so much more for so much less at Aldi. I don't there is anything I don't like to be honest. We do a week's shop and nothing is ever wasted. We get their coffee, teabags, etc.

Fruit & veg superb, meats can't complain and so much variety, cereals - no difference to own brands, crisps - suit our little one for snacks, chocolates & biscuits - again, no different to own brands, frozen pizzas - yum!

Lidl, we have at the end of the road and only tend to use it for top-up bits and emergencies; milk, bread, marge and WINE - always! I don't rate Lidl's cereals - a bit nasty/synthetic tasting and overall I find Lidl to be more expesnsive on most things when compared with the likes of Aldi.
  • Aldi's Torchon Ham - fine tasting stuff, and Aldi's version of Mars Bars (forgotten the name as not bought them for a while!).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    li'l_p wrote: »
    Fruit & veg superb
    Actually I find that Lidl's is better quality, although the weekly fruit & veg offers means that Aldi are cheaper.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    milk and cheese as always good.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Lidl's muffins are great and on offer @ only 54p per pack of 6, well they were last week - well worth a try.
    Double cream @ 84p when it's not on offer elswhere. Milk has been £1 for 4 pints for ages.
    Agree with Aldi's Torchon ham, very nice.

Lidl's "half-price weekend" offers - miss them and you are a fool. :D

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • li'l_p
    li'l_p Posts: 797 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Actually I find that Lidl's is better quality, although the weekly fruit & veg offers means that Aldi are cheaper.

Would have to agree, it's just that we tend to get everything as part of the weekly shop at Aldi, and top up with Lidl if we've forgotten or otherwise. Lidl's fruit and veg is comparable and excellent quality and reasonably priced.
  • Lidl's potato salad is the best shop bought potato salad ever. My only criticism is that the pot is massive and sometimes too much to eat before it goes off. Still excellent value for month as is under £2 for a massive pot - yum! yum!
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I refer you to thread 1

thread 2

thread 3

Dont think we need another 1 about what to buy at lidl and aldi.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Saver0811 wrote: »
    Use by Dates !

Some of the later pages of them 2 threads are still relevant as they onyl from last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure