PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation)

For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you:

For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you 595 votes

I am renting and will probably rent forever
5% 34 votes
I am renting and saving to buy a property, but struggling to save enough
9% 54 votes
I am renting, but close to buying a property using the Help To Buy or Shared Ownership Scheme
5% 32 votes
I am renting, but close to buying a property (without help from a scheme)
11% 68 votes
I bought a property using the Help To Buy loan or Shared Ownership Scheme
8% 49 votes
I own a 1 or 2 bed property (without help from a scheme) - I don't know how I can up-size.
5% 32 votes
I own a property (without help from a scheme) it is suitable for me, I'm confident in up-sizing
23% 142 votes
I own a property and will likely never need more bedrooms
26% 155 votes
I own multiple properties.
4% 29 votes

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    There's no poll??
  • homeless9
    homeless9 Posts: 340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SG27 wrote: »
    There's no poll??

There is now. :beer:
  • kates08
    kates08 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm age 35. Bought first home, a 2 bed mid-terrace, at 24 with 100% mortgage (I know not recommended and no longer available but it worked for us), overpaid on the mortgage and 10 years later we moved to a 3 bed semi, equity in the previous house meant we had a 30% deposit. We're in the outer south east and hope to stay in this house for a long time.
  • Why those specific ages? Because I owned my own home at 20, divorced at 30, sold at 40 and rented, now buying again at 50 - where's my choice ? :)
  • DeeDee87
    DeeDee87 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2019 at 8:22AM
    I'm 32 and bf is 30 we bought our three bed terraced house august last year. No help to buy used, saved a slightly over 10% deposit and an extra 20k which enabled us to buy a property with long term potential and make it into what we wanted. In theory we should never NEED to move. in theory of course :)
    In Hertfordshire, south east if that's even relevant
  • gardian8
    gardian8 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just scraped in at 36... Bought 1st home at 21 with girlfriend. Overpaid for 10 years or so then released the equity as a BTL for our current home keeping the old house as a rental. Rented that out for almost 4 years now. Looking to move again in the near future. Will be selling our current home to fund the move this time. Maybe look into another BTL when the dust settles
  • Finchy2018
    Finchy2018 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    31 bought first house earlier this year 15% deposit, 1 bed end of terrace, will never need more space (might want eventually but don't need) I don't envisage moving again for at least 5 - 10 years if I can help it, I'd rather just get the mortgage paid off.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Early days yet, but it looks as though most of the respondents own a home :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 April 2019 at 10:31AM
    We're all equal now, so I lied about my age.* :)

*Actually answered as my daughter age 35 who is in a long term house.

Other daughter 30 intends to buy with mortgage and no HTB in the next year or so and is saving about £20k a year to do this. Like you, the question is "where?" rather than "how?"
  • Sirrah67
    Sirrah67 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I can tell you about my kids.

Eldest (30) is in the process of buying a 3 bed detached with her partner, after renting for 8 years. Not using help to buy scheme, has 10% deposit.

Second (29) is in the process of buying a 3 bed Victorian terraced with his wife, after renting for 7 years. Not using help to buy scheme, has 7% deposit.

Youngest (26) is looking for a 2 bed house, doesn't want shared ownership so will probably not use help to buy. Currently has about £13k saved, close to a 10% deposit. Still living with us, which has allowed her to save more.

All in different parts of the Midlands, budgets from £150k to £250k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure