Cancelling holiday - first choice

First let me apologise for posting this without the full details at hand, basically my son and his girlfriend have booked a holiday via first choice for 2 weeks in turkey in October 2015 a £200 deposit has been paid.
My son is at university and has been advised by his tutor that this will a critical time in his course and that he should not really go on holiday, my son now agree's with this.
His girlfriend has done all the arranging so far (they are both 19 and do things on impulse) anyway she has been in touch with first choice and they have told her she needs to pay another £200 to cancel the holiday. Is there anyway around this?

my suggestion so far was to tell them to take a running jump and pay no more as the holiday is over 3mths away.

thanks

Comments

• Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,203
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You need full information before you can suggest anything.

My guess is that they paid a low deposit and First Choice want the balance of the deposit.

They will possibly lose their deposit but they will learn the hard way.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    They have a contract with the holiday company; I would not expect a responsible parent to suggest or endorse breach of contract, which may have serious implications.
    Maybe their best option would be to ask for a date change to a more suitable time that fits in with their lives. Maybe this can act as a life lesson to two young adults the importance of planning and thinking things through before acting.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My suggestion was more frustration at the pair of them for not checking dates and doing their homework prior to doing a booking.
    i think the low deposit payment is what has happened, and as stated first choice want the remainder. Hopefully they will learn from this error. i will be advising both them to look for an alternative date or to pay the cancellation cost.

thanks
    no need for any further advice
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    It would be a shame if they listened to your suggestion and simply refused to pay and your son's GF ended up with a CCJ.

I'd be frustrated too- with my son who was daft enough to enter a contract for a holiday during term time . Still it's a good life lesson and one that as it will hit them in the pocket they will learn from.

I'd suggest they amend the holiday to a date they can go- Maybe reading week (most are Jan/Feb) and get some winter sun and not too long to wait. The amendment fee will be less money to lose overall.

Kids eh !! :)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • bell123321
    bell123321 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Best option would pay the admin fee (think my sister paid £50 per person) and change the date?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would another option be to pay to change the names in order someone else can go? Although the dates seem the easiest and less frustrating way forward.
  • Hersetta
    Hersetta Posts: 66 Forumite
    Agreed with above if they cancel they will be liabile to pay the yop up from low deposit to full deposit (which is in their T & C's). Cheapest thing would be to pay £50pp so change the date of their holiday - they could even book for next year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure