The Open University degree - same as 'normal' degree?

Comments

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    as long as you get your degree done within 6 years, the only difference between OU and other uni, the OU allow you to work and class the study as part time, so you are allowed double the time.

Ive just done B120 Business, (passed), W1oo intro to Law, just done my last tma (help) and one more finance (DB123) to do, just started accounts, im a gluten for punishment x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • I completed my BSc Hons Social Policy with the OU and would highly recommend them. They are always voted in the top 10 of all Universities and I believe have come higher some years in the top 5
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • Hi Kat. I'm guessing you've just finished your A-Levels, or had a gap-year? A lot more school-leavers are doing OU degrees, partly because of the cost of going away. I was 21 when I started, didn't go away because of ill-health, finished in four years whilst working quite a lot too. I've found it really respected (especially in the public sector), it's a talking point in interviews. As importantly you can get more substantial work experience than most graduates would have, which will make you stand out.

What kind of courses are you thinking of doing?

Hopefully you've discovered that you're entitled to funding? Check it out if not.

Good luck! Get in touch or post here if you're still worried.
  • I completed my degree in maths and IT with the OU. I would recommend the OU to anyone who wants to study for a degree. I completed my PGCE at an ordinary university and have taught for 12 years. The OU is very highly regarded by everyone I've spoken too, because you need a lot of self discipline to complete it.

Shaz
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Lorian wrote: »
    I have a 1st Class Hons degree from the OU (graduated 1999)

It is held with regard by others, but most importantly I consider it to be one of my best achievements. Not ony did I learn lots, it taught me a lot about myself.

We'd better not talk about the summer schools :A

Congratulations on the First! :T

(But yes - let's not talk about the summer schools!! And all OU students and grads will understand why! :o good fun though.....)
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am about to start my final year with the OU doing BA(hons) Literature and whilst phoning around Unis to ask information on PGCE courses they have all stated that OU degrees are looked upon as favourable because of the complicated study/work/life balance that usually has to be met by the students. It shows commitment and organisation......
    I work part time in a pharmacy and also have two young children so I was a bit concerned that I might not get the grades needed for my PGCE but both Universities I phoned said that all applications are looked at individually...

Go for it, I bet in a few years you will be glad you did!!!!!!

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    hello ive just begun my first ever open university course am very nervous and not sure where to begin i have been out of full time education for nearly 15 years and for some reason have decided its time to resume my studies.im doing the E111 learning in primary schools a 60 pointer,which with 2 girls and a part time job at my local school am hoping ill be able to squeeze in the time for study,how do you all do it. s

sorry hijacked your thread
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    and i too was recently told that an OU on your cv goes just as well for you as any other grading as you have chosen to do it off your own back and in your own time
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • LJM wrote: »
    ,how do you all do it

Plenty of choccy biccies (during study) and wine (definitely not during study) :beer:

Seriously though, even if you can't find many solid hours during the week it's amazing how many 15-30 minute slots you can find - waiting for dinner to cook, on the bus. When there's two of you in the car get the other to drive and use that time. It all helps :j Just don't expect to get much cleaning done!

You do need good time for the TMAs and revision though.
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    I'm about half way through my first OU course - S182 - it's a great course, but it is difficult to find the time to study. I find I take it in much better if I can study during the day, but this is nigh on impossible with a toddler!!

Starting on the ECA soon, so wish me luck *opens the biccies* :p
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport