URGENT: esta in transit question

Hi guys

I am travelling costa rica tomorrow from london with a transit in dallas airport (1hr stop over) i wont be leaving the country, i dont need a visa for costa rica and just reading i might for USA!!

Is this correct am i screwed my flight is at 9am tomorrow!!

Im so confused...

Comments

• Taloolah
    Taloolah Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You will not be able to board an aircraft to the USA without an ESTA. You need an ESTA even if you are just in transit.

REMINDER: Apply for ESTA no later than 72 hours before departing for the United States. Real-time approvals will no longer be available and arriving at the airport without a previously approved ESTA will likely result in being denied boarding.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Apply now and if you are lucky you might be approved by the morning. I am surprised your travel agent has not advised you about needing an esta.
    Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Birmingham Childrens Hospital caring for my tiny and very poorly grandson who was born at 29 weeks. Thanks to them he is getting a little stronger every day.:A:A:A
  • Apply NOW!

I can't guarantee anything but my esta came though pretty quickly I think within about 4 hours.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • nick1234
    nick1234 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have applied it says authroisation pending does it ever take more than 12 hours
  • Taloolah
    Taloolah Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Check it in a couple of hours it can come through in a few hours it can take up to 72 hours . Good luck
    Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Birmingham Childrens Hospital caring for my tiny and very poorly grandson who was born at 29 weeks. Thanks to them he is getting a little stronger every day.:A:A:A
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Keep checking. Funnily enough someone on flyertalk had a similar late application today and it took about an hour and a half to clear.

Once it hopefully comes through, I would print it out and take it to the airport with you.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • nick1234
    nick1234 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks all it took 2hrs and i am on the flight!
  • nick1234 wrote: »
    Thanks all it took 2hrs and i am on the flight!

Got it in the "NICK" of time :D

That's cutting it close!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Glad you got it sorted
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Glad you sorted it.

Take it as a lesson for the future.... check entry requirements for the country you are travelling to AND any countries you will transit. It’s a nonsense you need an ESTA for an hour or two in an American airport departure lounge... but their country, their rules! Could have been a very expensive oversight on your part!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure