alleged sleeping on post

Comments

• I know, I wasn't even dozing off. Just because the client said something, they're looking to satisfy client.

How come the contract manager is talking about dozing off and winking at the same time?

It's been many years since my last splif, so I doubt I was hallucinating !!!!!
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 September 2019 at 10:21AM
    Well you weren't alert, were you!?

Yes, dozing off IS sleeping, if only temporarily.

What if you'd been driving...would you think dozing off is acceptable?

It's also sometimes called nodding off, due to up and down "nodding" action...same thing.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sit back, let the process continue and don't contact managers. Is there no steward on-site.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In hindsight, you really should have insisted on having a union rep present when you attended the meeting.
    I would suggest you take his approach with any future meetings.
  • Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Well you weren't alert, were you!?

Yes, dozing off IS sleeping, if only temporarily.

What if you'd been driving...would you think dozing off is acceptable?

It's also sometimes called nodding off, due to up and down "nodding" action...same thing.

They asked me why I didn't take a 10 min break, I said I was by myself and couldn't leave my post. All sorts of question which I replied it's to do with company policy, had asked before, turned down, so didn't challenge this time. I was not asleep and definitely want to see CCTV footage with a union rep.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    shiwen55 wrote: »
    Blimey, been in this country for over 20 years and still people don't get me when I speak !!

It could be because you aren't writing all the facts. Your mind is trying to process what is happening and going to quick for your fingers typing, so you think you have listed everything when really you haven't. So we are missing big chunks.

The letter they were trying to send, my employer of the outcome, Monday meeting.

So the union is sending your employer the outcome of the meeting? Shouldn't it be the other way round and the union were not at the meeting?
    Do you seriously consider dozing off and sleeping to be the same?!

I do. You clearly don't. I don't know legally what the definition of each is. I'm guessing you can't doze off with working machinery.

I know, I wasn't even dozing off. Just because the client said something, they're looking to satisfy client.

How come the contract manager is talking about dozing off and winking at the same time?

It's been many years since my last splif, so I doubt I was hallucinating !!!!!

I thought you said the CCTV showed you dozing off?

I have no idea why your manager was winking at you, if he does it again I'd ask him.

I have no idea what you are talking about re hallucinating - hallucinating the winking?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • I agree that the posters various statements appear confusing, but there seems to be a point that nobody has made, but which is actually critical. It is the client who has made the compliant, and not the employer nor the contract manager (and isn't that the employer?). But whatever....

The client can do absolutely anything they want. They are the client. So if they are not happy with the person the security company sends them, they all they have to do is say they don't want them back. The employing company cannot override the clients wishes. And if that means that the employer has no work for the poster, whether or not they fell asleep, and what the definition of falling asleep is, is completely irrelevant. That is surely the key matter for concern here - what is the clients position about the poster working on their premises?

I'd also advise that arguing about whether you were asleep or your head was bobbing up and down or whatever is a waste of energy. If you were on reception, the place that is the public front of an organisation, and you were looking less than alert, that reflects badly on the client organisation. I'd be pretty annoyed, and so would most employers, if my reception looked like they were about to doze off at any moment. I'd expect them (and all my staff) to know whether they were fit enough to work or not, and if they weren't able to exercise that level of awareness, I would wonder how much confidence I could have in them, especially in a security role.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    JamoLew wrote: »
    In hindsight, you really should have insisted on having a union rep present when you attended the meeting.
    I would suggest you take his approach with any future meetings.

There isn't the right for an investigation meeting, only if it's the disciplinary meeting.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Blatchford wrote: »
    I agree that the posters various statements appear confusing, but there seems to be a point that nobody has made, but which is actually critical. It is the client who has made the compliant, and not the employer nor the contract manager (and isn't that the employer?). But whatever....

The client can do absolutely anything they want. They are the client. So if they are not happy with the person the security company sends them, they all they have to do is say they don't want them back. The employing company cannot override the clients wishes. And if that means that the employer has no work for the poster, whether or not they fell asleep, and what the definition of falling asleep is, is completely irrelevant. That is surely the key matter for concern here - what is the clients position about the poster working on their premises?

I'd also advise that arguing about whether you were asleep or your head was bobbing up and down or whatever is a waste of energy. If you were on reception, the place that is the public front of an organisation, and you were looking less than alert, that reflects badly on the client organisation. I'd be pretty annoyed, and so would most employers, if my reception looked like they were about to doze off at any moment. I'd expect them (and all my staff) to know whether they were fit enough to work or not, and if they weren't able to exercise that level of awareness, I would wonder how much confidence I could have in them, especially in a security role.

I was on the phone with my union rep this morning. He said if they client does not want me on site, then they must do that in writing and the company must present this letter if requested.

I'm going to hospital on a outpatient basis from next week for 4 weeks twice a week and have taken time off sick. The security company has postponed the disciplinary hearing which was meant to be next week Friday until after appointments.

Thank you
  • elsien wrote: »
    There isn't the right for an investigation meeting, only if it's the disciplinary meeting.

True, the disiplinary hearing was meant to be next week Friday, has been postponed, because I've taken time off sick.

Union rep said they must produce CCTV images, well, that's something to consider. First they said sleeping and now they say, nodding off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure