SVS Securities - shut down?

Comments

• I was not going to bother answering that but just noticed you have 5 stars around your name.
    UK time of course.
    I am assuming this is a UK based site ?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    manorhouse wrote: »
    I was not going to bother answering that but just noticed you have 5 stars around your name.
    UK time of course.
    I am assuming this is a UK based site ?
    Don't worry, just because I'm a frequent and helpful poster who's generally right about everything, you don't need to give me special treatment :D

Yes it is a UK based site, and posts are displayed in real time when they are received *without* an hour's delay for review or censorship along the way.

Depending on where you are in the world and what settings you have on your computer or phone desktop/ operating system or browser, you may see the dates and time differently from the underlying time recorded on the servers. Within your user control panel on your MSE forum account (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/usercp.php) you can go into 'Date & Time Options' and make it display whatever you prefer.

For example, I have set my time zone to (GMT) Western Europe (London, Lisbon etc) and for daylight savings time I've selected 'Automatically detect DST settings'. Together with my own desktop, phone and browser settings, everything appears 'normal' for me.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    johnburman wrote: »
    Here is what Financial Advisor (run by FT) says...
    It's a useful article so thanks, but just a reminder the forum rules only allow short excerpts...
    We ask forum users not to copy long text from other publications/websites as it may breach their copyright. If you want to let people know about something you saw or read elsewhere please use short quotes and state where you got them from, preferably by giving a link to the article.
    See "What are the rules on copyright" on this page
  • An extract only was copied so no copyright issues I would have thought
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,375
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The piece referred to is at https://www.ftadviser.com/your-industry/2019/09/13/failed-wealth-manager-circled-by-100-firms/ - as far as I can see it's copy/pasted in full above, other than some minor boilerplate top-and-tailing!
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    johnburman wrote: »
    An extract only was copied so no copyright issues I would have thought

Yes, only an extract, merely the first fifteen of the fifteen paragraphs that make up the entire story (!) The bits you didn't "extract" for our interest here were just:

- adverts that support the content being made available;
    - the signoff from the author;
    - the text "what do you think about the issues raised by this story? Email us on xxxx @ft.com to let us know"

There are quite valid reasons for the forum having etiquette, and the idea is that you don't just lift massive chunks of articles from websites to share on other sites. If the site isn't paywalled, link it, while if it is paywalled but you've read the article and think we'd fund it useful, please share with us your synopsis...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Yes, only an extract, merely the first fifteen of the fifteen paragraphs that make up the entire story (!) The bits you didn't "extract" for our interest here were just:

- adverts that support the content being made available;
    - the signoff from the author;
    - the text "what do you think about the issues raised by this story? Email us on xxxx @ft.com to let us know"

There are quite valid reasons for the forum having etiquette, and the idea is that you don't just lift massive chunks of articles from websites to share on other sites. If the site isn't paywalled, link it, while if it is paywalled but you've read the article and think we'd fund it useful, please share with us your synopsis...
    Also, missed the copyright notice:
    © The Financial Times Ltd 2019 "FT", "Financial Times", "Money Management", "FTAdviser" and "Financial Adviser" are trademarks of The Financial Times Limited and their associated companies. No part of this publication may be reproduced or used in any form without prior permission in writing from the editor.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    manorhouse wrote: »
    reply's

Um, "replies"?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Within your user control panel on your MSE forum account (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/usercp.php) you can go into 'Date & Time Options' and make it display whatever you prefer.

For example, I have set my time zone to (GMT) Western Europe (London, Lisbon etc) and for daylight savings time I've selected 'Automatically detect DST settings'. Together with my own desktop, phone and browser settings, everything appears 'normal' for me.

Exactly. When I'm logged out, I see times in UTC, which in the summertime is one hour behind UK time. When I'm logged in, I see times correctly in my timezone of choice (i.e. London/Lisbon/etc etc time, including daylight saving),
  • dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Within your user control panel on your MSE forum account (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/usercp.php) you can go into 'Date & Time Options' and make it display whatever you prefer.
    But first you will need to press Edit Options to get this choice.
    Dales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure