Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rufuschucklebutty
    • By rufuschucklebutty 14th Sep 19, 3:50 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 23Thanks
    rufuschucklebutty
    Gumtree ?
    • 14th Sep 19, 3:50 PM
    Gumtree ? 14th Sep 19 at 3:50 PM
    I have been asked to post an item I'm selling on Gumtree, (a vintage bike frame worth 20, ) I have PayPal , is this secure or can it be scammed ?

I think I read somewhere that the payment could be cancelled by the payer after the item was received ?

Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 13,718 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    Gumtree is designed for face to face (cash) payments.

If you don't mind posting the item and packing so well that it cannot be damaged, or you don't mind a false claim of damage/not as described and don't fear the payment being reversed for 180 days (6 months) then go for it.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Sep 19, 6:01 PM
    • 62,716 Posts
    • 45,135 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Sep 19, 6:01 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 6:01 PM
    I have been asked to post an item I'm selling on Gumtree, (a vintage bike frame worth 20, ) I have PayPal , is this secure or can it be scammed ?

I think I read somewhere that the payment could be cancelled by the payer after the item was received ?

Originally posted by rufuschucklebutty
    Have a read of this thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3146680

The PayPal requirements are the same whether you sell on eBay or elsewhere
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Yugen Bonsai
    • By Yugen Bonsai 14th Sep 19, 10:29 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Yugen Bonsai
    • 14th Sep 19, 10:29 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 10:29 PM
    I would highly recommend pursuing the PayPal option unless you agreed that cash would be fine. It's a much safer transaction with protection.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Sep 19, 6:32 AM
    • 13,718 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:32 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:32 AM
    I would highly recommend pursuing the PayPal option unless you agreed that cash would be fine. It's a much safer transaction with protection.
    Originally posted by Yugen Bonsai
    Perhaps you misunderstood the question in the OP.

Paypal is the worst case situation for a Gumtree seller.

Edit - actually 10 posts in less than an hour - seems like a spam post counter to me.
    • rufuschucklebutty
    • By rufuschucklebutty 15th Sep 19, 11:25 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    rufuschucklebutty
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:25 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:25 PM
    Gumtree is designed for face to face (cash) payments.

If you don't mind posting the item and packing so well that it cannot be damaged, or you don't mind a false claim of damage/not as described and don't fear the payment being reversed for 180 days (6 months) then go for it.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup

That's what I'd heard about the payments being reversed, thanks for confirming it.

How about bank transfer ?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Sep 19, 6:58 AM
    • 13,718 Posts
    • 9,449 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:58 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:58 AM
    How about bank transfer ?
    Originally posted by rufuschucklebutty
    Cash.Cash Cash Cash
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,465Posts Today

8,109Users online

Martin's Twitter