AMOMA.com Closure and Upcoming Bookings

Today I received the following email from AMOMA.com
“Cease trading notification

Your booking will probably be cancelled by our suppliers.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients,

Since its creation, AMOMA has always strived, with success, to find the best value for money for its customers.

Entities that claim to act as "price comparators" are, in effect, media agencies that redirect consumers to entities like ours against paying a cost per click. These media agencies are sometimes owned by companies operating in the same segment as ours, which has a negative impact on free competition. They are currently in a dominant position in the market and we think that this is to the detriment of the end consumers. Indeed, having taken the place that is theirs today, these entities unilaterally impose unsustainable financial conditions for us, because we work at the fair price to benefit our customers, not to benefit these media agencies.

The result is a market concentration in which only a very small circle of majors Online Travel Agencies can survive. You probably also know that the public authorities are currently opening investigation procedures against these entities, notably in Australia, Spain - and most recently, as reported in the press, in the United States.

However, these commercial practices that are unilaterally imposed on us make the continuation of our activities impossible. We therefore regret to have to inform you of the cessation of our activities, with immediate effect.

For those who have booked rooms via our website:
Contact the reserved hotel to inquire about the provision of the service.
Contact your payment institution or your travel insurance.
While we regret to have to announce the above, we send you, Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Clients, our best regards. “

In April this year, I made a booking for the Hilton Leeds for 2 nights in December. This booking was paid in full at the time £144.
I have already contacted the hotel to confirm if the booking has been cancelled, if it has - how do I go about getting this money refunded? I guess AMOMA won’t be refunding me... I paid using my Capital One credit card, am I likely to receive a refund from them?

Comments

• hi. i've just received that email too 😭 to make matters worse it's not even my hotel that's been cancelled, it was a booking I made for my mum. I've emailed the hotel so hopefully they can come back before I let her know as i've checked the website and it's sold out the week they're going 😟 I only paid the balance last week so raging I didn't hear anything sooner or I would've cancelled and only lost their £80 deposit instead of £900!!😠
  • Wow, £900?!
    Please let me know how you get on!
  • We have received this email 1 hour before departure for a multicity trip. I've contacted hotel at 4:30 AM and they told as that they do see our reservation which is in 5 days (660 EUR, booked in March). This is our last stay and I'm worried that by the time we'll arrive they can cancel it and we'll be stranded.
  • Shawbee
    Shawbee Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 15 September 2019 at 9:06AM
    I got the exact email last night and haven't been able to sleep since! We've lost over £900 on our hotel booking in thailand... I've contacted the hotel but they haven't replied. We booked with our american Express card so I'm not sure if it's something they cover.
  • I'm in the same situation. Booked a short break for me and 3 friends to Portugal in 2 weeks! I've emailed the hotel and am waiting to hear back.
    I also booked via credit card so not sure if I'm covered and how to go about getting my money back. I booked flights separately (also on credit card) so don't know what the situation is with those :(
    I'm hoping to be able to re-book so that I don't need to worry about getting a refund on the cost of the flights but if anyone can help with advice about the refund for hotel I'd really appreciate it.
  • Yes I got the same email but called my hotel and they say the booking hasn’t been cancelled is anyone else in this situation? The booking hasn’t been paid for yet but the payment is to come from hotelbeds rather tha Amoma, are these companies linked in anyway? Else I’ve lost £1700
  • Got the same email. Had booked jw marriot in dubai for next month. Called them directly and they said booking is valid and i dont have to pay. I wonder if it stays this way a few days down
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Stan93 wrote: »
    Yes I got the same email but called my hotel and they say the booking hasn’t been cancelled is anyone else in this situation? The booking hasn’t been paid for yet but the payment is to come from hotelbeds rather tha Amoma, are these companies linked in anyway? Else I’ve lost £1700

No Hotel Beds is not linked with Amoma, separate companies. Amoma bought hotel rooms from Hotel Beds. Unfortunately if Hotel Beds have not been paid by Amoma then they will cancel your booking. If you paid by credit card you can claim with the card provider
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    DarPaC wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation. Booked a short break for me and 3 friends to Portugal in 2 weeks! I've emailed the hotel and am waiting to hear back.
    I also booked via credit card so not sure if I'm covered and how to go about getting my money back. I booked flights separately (also on credit card) so don't know what the situation is with those :(
    I'm hoping to be able to re-book so that I don't need to worry about getting a refund on the cost of the flights but if anyone can help with advice about the refund for hotel I'd really appreciate it.

You will be able to claim via your credit card company for the hotel but not the flights. Sounds like you booked hotel and flights separately so you wouldn’t be able to get the flights refunde
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• Like all the previous comments, I booked 5 nights in Spain from October 10th. Panic attack when I got the email, I contacted the hotel but I am yet to receive an answer. Of course I am scared that they might not have yet paid the hotel for my stay and that I lost my money :-( I seriously doubt that I could go to my bank and dispute the charge since they must be bankrupt...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure