Pawn broker problem

Hello,
I pawned my jewellery in 2013 for a very small amount of money as at that time I needed to pay something. Since then I’ve been unable to go and get my gold out so I’ve just continually gone in every 7 months
And renewed my pledge, I last renewed in March 2019, and it was up for renewal again in October 2019.
Last week I received a letter from the pawn brokers asking me to contact them, I did so and they informed me that my gold was accidentally mixed up with someone else’s and has since been scrapped, my gold held huge sentimental value to me as some of the pieces are 22 years old😓.
The staff offered to try and match my gold from other places and replace like for like, they rang me and said to come down and see what they have managed to source so far, nothing at all like my gold apart from one sovereign - but that’s because sovereigns are pretty much all the same,
They produced a locket that was tiny whereas my original locket was double the size of a sovereign coin, luckily in 2012 I took some pics of a few of my pieces and uploaded them on FB to show my
Friends so I have actual pics of some of it,
I am at a loss as to what I can do, I had an appointment at citizens advice yesterday but he couldn’t help, he said there’s no guidance on the system and neither
Him or any of his colleagues had ever dealt with this before, he suggested searching for a solicitor- any help or advice is appreciated
Thanks in advance 🤞🏻

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    How much interest have you paid over 6 years? Is it more than the items value?
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What do you want to happen?
    Obviously you can't get the items back.
    If you want money rather than similar pieces just give them a figure and see what they say.
  • £96 every 7 months since February 2013
  • Pam
    They are offering to replace my items but stilll charge me interest in the mean time while
    They source the items.
    I still owe them the original loan from 2013
    But I feel that they have broken the contract
  • Les 79 unfortunately/ financially I hadn’t yet been in a position to get my gold out, they were gifts ra
    The oldest being 22 years old, so yes it is sentimental but I just havnt had the money
    So far 😓
    But to make sure I didnt ever lose it I always
    Renewed my contract.
    The original loan was £200 and to some people that may not seem a lot but to me it is a lot.
    Some of the items I never wore as I was afraid of losing so being in the pawn shop was similar to being hidden in my home in terms of their level of sentimentality to me,
  • The original loan was £200 and you've been paying £192 interest every 14 months since 2013?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Doodler123 wrote: »
    Pam
    They are offering to replace my items but stilll charge me interest in the mean time while
    They source the items.
    I still owe them the original loan from 2013
    But I feel that they have broken the contract

They're entitled to charge interest until you pay them the money you owe.

You're not in a worse position because the security has been lost than if it wasn't.
  • Manxman
    Yes that’s right
  • Boo star
    Their offers of trying to find like for like have
    So far not been anywhere near mine

I am not expecting identical but at least the
    Same size as what is lost
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forget the sentimental value, this is a chance to stop paying silly interest rates on a £200 loan. Get the PB to give you the cash value of the items and clear the debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure