Opinions on this Facebook Post....

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 November 2018 at 4:46PM
    Options
    It reminds me of the trite rubbish DS's mother-in-law and my cousin put on FB. :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • splishsplash
    Options
    a) That is an incredibly fake-sounding conversation, most likely made up to make her look good.

b) The point could have been made much more succinctly. This long rant gives the impression that the author is overly fond of listening to herself/having people listen to her.

c) I think they're both full of s***, but at least Granny confined her s*** to a couple of folk at a wedding instead of spreading it all over the internet like a giant attention w****.

d) Maybe if she spent less time writing blathery screeds on the internet, she'd have the time to manage the struggles of this new generation.

e) I am grumpy this morning. This may be reflected in a)-d).

:rotfl::rotfl:

It's just another one of these neverending fake-self-deprecating-but-really-virtue-signalling posts that someone, somewhere thinks is clever and really super enlightened.

Yawn.

I may be a little cranky today too...
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    My son (38) had (still has) trouble writing. He could, however, from quite a young age, touch type at a rate of knots. He is much better on a keyboard than physically writing, when you can see him having to 'gear himself up' to put pen to paper and then make indecipherable writing.

I agree too that it helped his spelling.

So yes, technology used responsibly can be beneficial.

Exactly that is the whole point. Unfortunately not everyone does or has. I remember many years ago( 30+) a mum complaining her young son never slept well at night in the school holidays. Turned out she sat him infront of a TV screen all day.

My 2 had access to computers, pre internet, but they also went out to play , were read to, played music and all the other 'old fashioned' things. Like all things in life balance is important.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    How does your friend feel about having her posts quoted verbatim on the internet? Because if it was me I'd be furious with you.
    Although if it was me that post wouldn't be out there in the first place.

Well, it was on the FB timeline of a friend of mine in Australia and it was her friend that made the post. So my friend shared it with her friends with the person's name on it ( as it was when she initially shared it herself)I have merely shared it with MSE anonymously because I thought it was an interesting viewpoint. However, in my opinion, I don't think people who make such posts are bothered who shares them as they stand by their views.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It's got me beat Red!
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    What is your opinion? You seem to have "forgotten" to include it.

Not really, I was in a bit of a rush when I posted it so I thought I would leave it out there and return to it later. Sorry if that annoyed you!:D

Anyway, my opinion is that anyone who wastes time watching cat videos needs to get another hobby...and so, that leads me to think that the tirade is an attention seeking rant, but, one which has a grain of truth running through it.

Whilst technology does have a massive place and undoubtedly brings with it many benefits to society, we should not become slaves to it at the cost of other forms of social interaction.

It is all about balance and using technology appropriately and not using it at times when it is inappropriate.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tbh I think the post is seeking validation and trying to place themselves on a pedestal. They are not the first generation of parents raising kids with this.....parents who had kids around the 80s were.

Decades before that there was the tv, which brought us such wonders as "sit too close and you'll go blind", "it will rot your brain" etc.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    It's got me beat Red!

“my children have to be strapped into a five-point astronaut seat until their twelve years old”

It’s harder to spot when you’re looking for it!
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Bless you Red, are you, like me, well into the G&T?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Bless you Red, are you, like me, well into the G&T?

I’m teetotal.

There are days i’m not sure it’s the right decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure