PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can a EA let to someone else before you move in?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bflare wrote: »
    They have not asked for anything as of yet. The last time I communicated with them was to ask for a copy of the tenancy agreement on 17th October. The previous emails went like this:

Hi Mr xxxxxx

The bond and rent will need to be paid into our bank and will need to be cleared through our banking system in order to had over the keys on the 23rd November.

Our bank details are as follows: xxxxxx

........................................................................................

Good afternoon.

We can confirm that your references have come back acceptable for tenancy of xxxxxx and that we have arranged for you to sign up for the property on Friday, 23rd November 2018.

We will need a bond of £xxx and the first months rent of £xxx in cleared funds by this date in order for us to hand the keys over to you.

Kind regards
    ..........................................................................................
    It does sound very much as if the place is definitely yours - but you've had the contract for nearly three weeks, and not yet signed/returned it? You're now less than two weeks before you're expecting to move in. I'd be getting that done.

Until it is all signed, there is no contract in place. The landlord could, perfectly legally, pull out. As could you.
  • bflare
    bflare Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It does sound very much as if the place is definitely yours - but you've had the contract for nearly three weeks, and not yet signed/returned it? You're now less than two weeks before you're expecting to move in. I'd be getting that done.

Until it is all signed, there is no contract in place. The landlord could, perfectly legally, pull out. As could you.

Yeah the wording in the emails do does suggest that it is mine. I only asked for a copy of the agreement to check something. I do not think they expected me to ask to look at it until the signing up date. But, I agree I think it's best if I sign it asap. I have sent an email to the agent just to ask if everything is still on track.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You signing does not make it binding.

You need to get it signed by the landlord/agent! And I suspect they will want the deposit/advance rent paid at the same time. But once that is done, the landlord is legally commited to you.
  • bflare
    G_M wrote: »
    You signing does not make it binding.

You need to get it signed by the landlord/agent! And I suspect they will want the deposit/advance rent paid at the same time. But once that is done, the landlord is legally commited to you.

That's why I have not contacted them because the agent worded the email as:

we have arranged for you to sign up for the property on Friday, 23rd November 2018.

We will need a bond of £xxx and the first months rent of £xxx in cleared funds by this date in order for us to hand the keys over to you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The fact that they have made an arrangement for 23rd does not mean you cannot re-arrange for earlier!

And in your position I would want a contract in place well before I moved in to remove the insecurity.....
  • bflare
    G_M wrote: »
    The fact that they have made an arrangement for 23rd does not mean you cannot re-arrange for earlier!

And in your position I would want a contract in place well before I moved in to remove the insecurity.....

Good advice. Thank you.
  • I envision they have brought them down on the grounds that they have let it to you
  • bflare
    gamemodapk wrote: »
    I envision they have brought them down on the grounds that they have let it to you

I think your right. Maybe the landlady asked for the sign taking down? I did ask why they had taken the advert off from Zoopla a few days after I applied & gave them the reference money & the lady said because the property is yours.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Signs won't get taken down the minute a request is made for it to be done.

The person that drives round dealing with the signs will wait until they have a few in one area before heading out to be more cost effective.
  • bflare
    Slithery wrote: »
    Signs won't get taken down the minute a request is made for it to be done.

The person that drives round dealing with the signs will wait until they have a few in one area before heading out to be more cost effective.

Ah right so they may of asked after I passed the checks & the company has only just got round to taking it down. That maybe why the sign was never changed to "Let By"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure