Has my mechanic overfilled oil and is this a problem?

Hello.

I have a 2009 Volvo V50 Petrol, that has just been serviced by my mechanic (everyone I know uses him - over 40 years of experience).

When I got the car back, I noticed that the dipstick looked like this:

OcXhU0A.jpg

I was always under the impression that point B on the photo was the maximum level and that C was the minimum.

However, the dipstick clearly seems to show that oil has been topped up until point A.

What do you think I should do?

Am I even reading the dipstick incorrectly - is point A the maximum level?

Comments

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    did you give the car 20 mins or so after switching off before you checked it?
    If so then it does look slightly overfilled not enough to cause an issue though.

If you have a good mechanic like it sounds you do ask him politely to
    check it. Don't ruin a good working relationship over it.
  • elsmandino
    elsmandino Posts: 279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Loskie - so you also think it is indeed overfilled?

I left the car overnight and made sure it was on completely level ground before checking.

Unfortunately, my chap has gone away on holiday for three weeks (he just managed to squeeze me in before he left), so will have to wait a while to ask him.

In the meantime, it is reassuring that you think it is only a bit over - I know that it is pretty bad to overfill a car with oil but there must be some tolerance built into the dipstick marker.

I will just use the car as usual, but double check with him when I can.

I suppose I just also wanted to check where to fill the oil up to, for top ups between services.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    elsmandino wrote: »
    Thanks Loskie - so you also think it is indeed overfilled?

I left the car overnight and made sure it was on completely level ground before checking.

Unfortunately, my chap has gone away on holiday for three weeks (he just managed to squeeze me in before he left), so will have to wait a while to ask him.

In the meantime, it is reassuring that you think it is only a bit over - I know that it is pretty bad to overfill a car with oil but there must be some tolerance built into the dipstick marker.

I will just use the car as usual, but double check with him when I can.

I suppose I just also wanted to check where to fill the oil up to, for top ups between services.
    Indeed, there is. Manufacturers assume that 95% of car drivers are idiots, because 95% of car drivers are idiots. You can run a car significantly lower than the dipstick, and it'll run fine, and higher, and it'll run fine with no adverse affects at all. Blimey, if the engine seized after the oil dropped below that bottom marker, there would be a lot of knackered cars about. That said, what you need to establish is whether it's a bit too much or far too much.

It's hard to say how much he's overfilled it from the dipstick alone. On my Lupo (which I don't own anymore), I calculated that the bottom to the top of the dipstick was (roughly) a litre, maybe a bit less.

Do you own the 1.6 litre by any chance? Quick Google search shows Volvo recommend 4 litres for the 1.6 and 4.3 litres for the 1.8 and 2.0..... I would say 0.3 litres corresponds quite closely to that photo. The 2.4 takes 5.8 litres, but there's no way he's put that in. The car probably wouldn't start.

Obviously it's your car, so I can't tell you what to do. If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty, you could probably siphon it yourself with a piece of tubing. If not, you could wait for the mechanic..... or you could just drive it. Do Volvo's burn oil?
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The last time (and I mean the LAST time) I went to Kwik Fit, I had an oil change (assuming even they couldn't screw that up), I collected my car and drove home. As I don't trust Kwik Fit I checked the oil level when I parked and found it was about a third of the way up the dipstick.

Not the marker line, the actual dipstick.

"Just drive it back mate as long as there ain't black smoke coming out the exhaust yer'all right."

Not having much option as I couldnt afford a tow truck (I was having to get oil changes in Kwik Fit for gawds sake) I drove back very slowly. I also gave the manager a rocket in the reception area in front of a load of other customers.

It basically went like -

Me - "I thought even you lot couldn't screw up an oil change."
    Manager - "Yeah sorry, we can."

Anyway, the car was fine over the short distance it was driven and it had buckets too much in.

It was an Almera though.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Between min and max is normally 1ltr - no way that a little over filling will make any real difference.

Try it again tomorrow morning or after a few hours of it being parked on level ground.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Arklight wrote: »
    It was an Almera though.

I thought so, was it a 54 reg one with 34,000 miles being sold for £395?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    It's a lot less stressful to just do your own oil changes.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Did you remove the dipstick, then wipe it, then dip it to get the reading?

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    fred246 wrote: »
    It's a lot less stressful to just do your own oil changes.

Agreed, although I suppose it depends where you go.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would say nothing, you might find that you have to look for a new mechanic when you really need one.

Why use him if you feel you have to check, sounds like you dont trust him
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport