IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Received PCN - I'm not the driver nor the keeper of the vehicle

Options

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Tati - go ahead with teh police report. This must be formally recorded.
  • Grimble
    Grimble Posts: 455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take the above advice, ask yourself what happens if he does not pay for the hire, how do you prove you were not involved? A police report covers you.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    have you checked to see if you can prove your where about's at the time and dates quoted ?

Ralph:cool:
  • tati
    tati Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your support and advice.

I have appealed that letter back last year stating that I was not the driver, keeper or hirer. I did not report the case to the police as I thought the appeal would help.

Almost one year on Gladstones had found me at a completely new address (!!!) and sent me a LBC. They (kindly, or as they just say) are asking for payment in full otherwise they will commence legal proceedings.

Not again!!!

I plan to repeat that I was not the driver, keepr or hirer of the car in question and the fine was issued on the day the car was being delivered to my ex-partner. I will also state that my on the lease agreement there is my ex-partner's signature not mine and the hiring company has commited gross misconduct (not checking ID). The driver from a hiring compnay (I suppose) can be seen on the pictures which I retained from last year.

I will also state I am happy to show evidence in court and call the police if necessary.

Anything else I should add?

How on earth did they find my new address??

Many thanks kind people!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2018 at 11:12PM
    Options
    They traced you, and that's a good thing, better than getting a default CCJ to an old address.

Add to your words, to confirm your new address is the right one for service, and that they MUST NOT revert to your old address for the robo-claim*.

Enclose this:
    I can obtain the copy of the hire lease but it is signed by my ex-partner.

*use that word
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    Options
    tati wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your support and advice.

I have appealed that letter back last year stating that I was not the driver, keeper or hirer. I did not report the case to the police as I thought the appeal would help.

Almost one year on Gladstones had found me at a completely new address (!!!) and sent me a LBC. They (kindly, or as they just say) are asking for payment in full otherwise they will commence legal proceedings.

Not again!!!

I plan to repeat that I was not the driver, keepr or hirer of the car in question and the fine was issued on the day the car was being delivered to my ex-partner. I will also state that my on the lease agreement there is my ex-partner's signature not mine and the hiring company has commited gross misconduct (not checking ID). The driver from a hiring compnay (I suppose) can be seen on the pictures which I retained from last year.

I will also state I am happy to show evidence in court and call the police if necessary.

Anything else I should add?

How on earth did they find my new address??

Many thanks kind people!

I hate to say you were warned this was likely if you ignored the advice to report it to the police.
  • tati
    tati Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2019 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am re-opening the case - I have received Claim Form despite submitting evidence and an appeal stating that I was not the driver, owner or hirer of the vehicle and stating that my ex-partner signed the lease agreement that was written in my name.

I have acknowledged the claim and will need to submit evidence by 5/01/2018. I have been away for the festive break and I have just came back. I am aware there is a very short time left to act on this.

I have reported the identity fraud to the police but they have stated that this type of identity theft is not classified as a police recorded crime.

They explained further:

An example of when they could record a crime would be where details were used to obtain credit, the use of which left the provider of credit with a financial loss. In these circumstances they would record a crime for the provider of the credit and look to establish if there was scope for the matter to be investigated.

They have not recorded the case as a crime, they have merely used the information to enrich information reports. I have a reference number for reporting the case.

I absolutely cannot understand why would they decide to take the matter to court if I have clearly stated that I have not hired the car, never driven h evehicle myself and I have provided a picture from the scene that shows an unknown person getting in/out of the car?

This is very frustrating.

Please could you advise me if I should simply explain what had happened as the defence? This situation is different from the ones that have been described on the forum hence no template to follow..

Thank you for your continuing support and happy new year!

Tati
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    Options
    You have a pretty unique defence so the standard points don't apply. I would tell the court what you have told us. Explain it clearly and simply.

Personally I wouldn't add the usual defence points as this case relies on credibility. If you chuck everything at a defence you look less credible than someone arguing a unique and valid defence.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2019 at 7:03PM
    Options
    I have received Claim Form...
    What is the Issue Date on your Claim Form?

I have acknowledged the claim and will need to submit evidence by 5/01/2018....
    No, evidence is not needed for several weeks, if not months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure