PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    There's something we have in common money. :) I watch Bealtaine Cottage sometimes. I saw what she started with and what she's done. If only I had the land. I'll hunt the gardening channel to have a little nose. Thanks.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I found that kelp helped me at first then stopped helping. I keep re-trying it every so often but think it actually makes me feel worse now. Maybe it messes with the adrenal insufficiency thing.
    Re diet KC, for me it has to be gradual and sensible. The latest fads are no use at all to me - if it's taken me 60 years to be able to stomach broccoli then I wont have time to get used to pea protein :D
    I need to cut out all sugars. I need to eat plain simple old-fashioned proper food, regular set mealtimes - and I need a lot of salt. I'm low sodium and if I eat too much sweet stuff I get confused, unsteady, hot and flustered very fast. So preps here are going to include salted nuts and learning to eat every 4 hours. I'd agree preps re health are vital.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mar, I think thats half the battle, knowing what suits you - this whole ME/CF/CFS thing is so individual (I suspect its multifactorial, to say the least: genetics, environmental toxins, viral exposure, emotional life. And I have to say, this sounds really good: "I need to cut out all sugars. I need to eat plain simple old-fashioned proper food, regular set mealtimes - and I need a lot of salt." I'm often a fiend for salt as well, and I've had a few episodes where I've ended up on the floor with low blood pressure, so the salt is really necessary.

Own preps: I've been weeding (again, same patch, again) two year old garlic and rampant alpine strawberries and some weeds too for good measure - I want my chive plants there. I'll have to plant them on Thursday now. I'm definitely getting a good few perennial greens in the garden now.

And the stairlift was sold from my mother's house today :j we got less than 5% of what we paid less than 2 years ago, it's only been used half a dozen times, but at least the profit isn't going to the barstewards who sold it to us, who lied and lied about options for second hand stairlifts.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • SmlSave wrote: »
    They are solid hun.

So they won't fit into the ring-pull of a drinks can.

That's disappointing. :(
  • OK, so I tried out the LED lamp last night.

It's not blindingly bright, but I reckon it would be bright enough, for you to see to use the bathroom in a power cut.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    OK, so I tried out the LED lamp last night.

It's not blindingly bright, but I reckon it would be bright enough, for you to see to use the bathroom in a power cut.
    :)This disproving the statement that you cahn't find your arris in the dark with both hands..........? :rotfl:

One advantage of the microflat here is that I can walk about it saely in pitch darkness, unless I've been stupid enough to leave things on the floor.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all.

You'll be pleased to hear that that cheque hit my bank account at long last yesterday. Maybe as for a large amount they had to wait for a similar amount to be going the other way? :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jk0 wrote: »
    Morning all.

You'll be pleased to hear that that cheque hit my bank account at long last yesterday. Maybe as for a large amount they had to wait for a similar amount to be going the other way? :)
    :) Phew, what a relief! Banks are flipping unbelievable, the cheque system dates back to the mid-seventeenth century and they're curiously unable to improve it beyond the speeds of the era of periwigs and horsedrawn carriages?! I expect your money was busily working somewhere in the time it was between your accounts and giving you stress.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I spent a bit of early-up time musing through property photos and my scaled floorplans. I just realised how future proofed aspects of this house really are, concrete slope (zimmer/wheelchair) up to a side entrance via the conservatory, nice smart hand rails on stairs, very new and nice bathrooms, both with grab handles in the showers, slightly higher loo which I don`t mind, downstairs bedroom next to a bath/shower room. Sometimes things just kind of hit me, I didn`t take it all in on viewing

Now that most of my link a bord beds are out and being stored, the allotment has lost a lot of its structure ie the part that psychologically enabled me to tackle one bed at a time. Any hints on taking various plants out for moving? The small ones like hellibores and echinaceas, I am ok with. I have 5 lovely david austin roses, 4 x 4` tall standard gooseberries with still-fragile stems and 2 blueberries in the ground plus 2 x 2 year planted ben conan blackcurrants. I semi-pruned the roses yesterday and the ben conan for berry picking. I will have to root prune in early winter and plant in as small a pot as I can because of the weight issue. Any better ideas?
  • We met the owners of our new home yesterday, they are so lovely and we've sorted out all the queries we had over all aspects of the house. Darned estate agents and their 'privacy policy' were just playing silly beggars with both of us! we're buying a couple of pieces of furniture from them that are just too big for their new home and solve a problem for us so I'm getting a hand made kitchen table that will seat 10 (himself is a carpenter) and a lovely recliner 3 seater (possibly 4) recliner sofa and matching armchair and they're leaving all the curtains, all the carpets, all the built in shelving units etc. and the most magnificent handmade shed in the garden ( the carpenter is also a woodturner and it's his workshop) Very tired after all the driving yesterday but most relieved and easier in mind by far today!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure