Help Dire Straits

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You are in deep trouble.

You need to wake up as other have said, you are spending money you don't have.

This bit troubles me:-

Our overdraft is at £3600 so with the help of our friend we've opened two new personal accounts with a different bank and then a joint account with another bank. We won't have access to the joint account for a while, she will so that we don't transfer money to our personal accounts.

Your friends is gonig to have access to your new bank account, what is to stop her clearing it out, once you do have money in there?

I agree with everything others have said, eyes/ dogs/ phones/ cars/ insurances etc all need a major overhaul, and this 'other expenses' of you and your husband, need a deep deep look into, what the heck is it all for?

Take pack up lunches.

You need serious help, or you are going to loose your house.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Kept thinking about you and your troubles last night. Hope you have managed to get a reasonable night's sleep and woken up with a renewed attitude to getting out of debt. Everybody has given very good advice......please heed it and don't risk loosing your house. I am not sure I would let a friend be in charge of a bank account.....
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think this is one of more urgently worrying threads that has been started around here recently.

OP, why do you need a friend to take this level of control? Its quite unusual and really its better if you get a grip on your situation yourselves. Learn to control yourselves not have someone do it for you. This is in no way a criticism of the friend who seems willing to go above and beyond to help you.

It seems like you have used spending and 'living for today' because you've had a difficult time emotionally and whilst sympathetic to that, the solutions are really the same for everyone. If you don't take control back of your finances and behave less recklessly, the consequences are quite serious. You have let priority items go unpaid but are defensive and protective of your personal allowances which are huge - this perhaps suggest your lightbulb is not glowing as brightly as it needs to yet.

Hope you manage to start tackling this quickly and with a clear head and whilst no answer needed, would it be better if your partner took more control for a while? Although he appears to have a fairly modest income but with quite high personal spending habits as well.

A really urgent situation with a lot to address - the folks here are brilliant and I do hope you are fully ready to get cracking.
  • ohbumstoitall
    ohbumstoitall Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 1:53PM
    I wrote a response to Flowergirl that I've deleted as I think I reacted pretty badly to it! I read it last night and I just thought....below the belt love.

what does the banner say at the top of the DFW board?
    "Pls remember Debt-Free Wannabe's for support and help not judgement"

I empathize with the OP, I can't quite necessarily comprehend what losing a parent to suicide can do to you - I suspect the OP is relatively young and it's obviously had a great impact. Telling someone to "Grow up" really is not on.

I think she probably knows what she has to do but maybe we could not shoot her down like that. Otherwise she's not going to come back to the forum for help.
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I am sorry for what you have been through and its great that you are acknowledging there is a problem and that you cant continue like this.

I'm fairly new to this so can only say whats worked for me up to now but I would go through every item on your SOA systematically one by one and see where you can shave off money on every item. A lot of your figures are quite high so it shouldnt be that hard to make some savings. Look hard at whether you NEED things or just WANT them - Eg I wear glasses rather than contacts as the upkeep is just too much money. I much prefer lenses but it's about priorities. Ditto haircuts etc - I have them less often or look at cheaper alternatives like local colleges or people wanting a model.

Your personal budget looks massive but looks like your including a lot of things like petrol in there which is skewing the figures. As others have suggested a spending diary would help break this down so you would have a better ides of what is reasonable.

I understand we are all different but there's five of us and my figures are not half of what yours are. Food is a fairly easy target to cut down - can you meal plan, shop to a list etc, shop around for offers? Loads of ideas on here.

Speak to your OH about taking lunch rather than buying it - that could be a massive saving. A few pounds here and there really adds up (i nearly had a heart attack when I added up how much I was spending yearly on the odd Visit to the bakery - and how many hours i would have to work to fund it!)

Lastly have a good look round for things to sell. Its amazing what people will buy on eb@y or local selling sites.

NB I would also double check with council tax if theyve not acknowledged your e mail. I know what you're saying about using phones as I'm the same but just because you've told them what you're planning to do it doesnt necessarily mean theyve agreed if you have nothing to confirm.
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 1:15PM
    There is nothing I can add to the above, all points have been covered
    We live comfortably on 1200 per month (no mortgage and stuff like car insurance and house insurance paid annually)
    My wife gets 630 a month..that covers groceries and petrol, anything left is her clothes make up etc. She used to spend loads
    We nearly fainted yesterday when our grocery bill was £45 for the week and we spend £20 a month on mobiles
    TBH these are the sort of figures you are going to need to be aiming at to drag your financial situation round, and in needs to be both of you on board
    You need to be in it for the long haul
    Keep coming back here for encouragement, inspiration and best of luck to you
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • a_silver_lining
    a_silver_lining Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 March 2018 at 7:45PM
    Have read and didn't want to leave without commenting.

I found downloading a spending app on my mobile really helped. I put every penny I spend into it and it helps see where my money is going. I have a budget of £270pm for food, public transport travel, clothes, hair, gifts, anything really. I struggle and go over it, but it keeps me more on track.

Counselling has helped me greatly with processing my feelings. I haven't experienced what you have, but I couldn't not suggest the option of bereavement counselling for your loss x
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I do hope the OP comes back and updates us with how she is going on. Hoping we haven't scared her off.
  • Hi I just wanted to say hi and well done for starting to take the first steps. You've got some ideas about ways you can bring your expendite down. I echo what everyone has said. You really need to count every penny you spend so you can see where you can cut back. I would imagine by scrutinising your personal spends you can cut back enough to meet your living expenses.

Food is an easy way to cut back if you are spending £420 pcm you should be able to save £150-200

good luck
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Hi lovesmakeup. I love make up too. I had thousands of pounds worth of make up too. I would strongly suggest you go cold turkey on social media for a bit as this will help a lot. No pretty Instagram pictures, no Facebook make up pages, no YouTube. No make up discussions. Stop keeping up with the latest products. No you don't need the latest highlighter, or eyeshadow palette, no matter how pretty or different it is. Once you step away for a while you realise how ridiculous it is to be spending thousands on coloured powder and goo. If youtube is the problem, I strongly suggest you watch some minimalism videos (Sarah Nourse is a favourite of mine) as it will help you realise how excessive your collection is. I still love make up and still have some but I just keep my holy grails and I sold everything else. Please try Facebook, depop, carousell. Good luck.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport