Haggle with BT - our new guide

Comments

• No idea if this was a good deal, but just managed to get the price of my Infinity 1 reduced to £7 a month for 24 months.

They offered £9 and with a bit of pushing (as I had an outage last month) managed to get it down to £7 - saving me £19 per month - thats £456 saved over the next 2 years if I had done nothing, all for a 15 minute phone call.
  • OldDIYer
    OldDIYer Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'm paying £10 + line rental at the moment & I thought that was good. :rotfl:
  • I am a customer affected by the April 2017 price increases. They had online offers which for me only featured Infinity 1 unlimited (free installation) 18 months for £30.99 and Infinity 1 with 25GB usage for £26.99 plus installation.

I rang up the Customer Options Team (like I do every year) and their selection of offers were worse than the ones online and the one I had online was better that the one they had. I am on ADSL and was contemplating going with fibre. Now I am going for the Infinity 1 option unlimited because the ADSL will cost me more than if I was with fibre (does that make sense?!?).

Now seeing the weekly email, the package that I will be getting is more expensive than the one featured in the email. So I am thinking that I will try it and if it doesn't work, there are other people who will gladly take my custom at a cheaper price.

But in conclusion, BT aren't willing to negotiate and don't seem to be concerned about losing customers.
  • My Broadband and phone deal contract has just expired and the monthly cost escalated to £51. A 20 minute phone call today got this reduced to £27.99 with better internet allowance and more mobile phone data/minutes. reduced this further by paying annual line rental up front with a 10% discount over the year.
    They even promised to refund any over payment incurred at the end of my last contract.
    A great result and even advised to phone back at the end of this contract for another deal,
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've managed to get an upgraded internet, tv and phone package for £15 a month less than I'm currently paying (taking into account April's price rises) and also a promise of 1/2 price BT Sport when it becomes chargeable in August if I want it.

The savings will be bigger when I pay up front for line rental as well. :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • A question here.

I'm nearing the end of my 12 month contract where I took out broadband and home phone with BT. I later added my mobile to the deal and even more recently added my wife's mobile to the deal (both getting the £5 a month reduction because I'm broadband customer).

With the April price rise and right to leave, does that apply to all the services? ie. if I'm not willing to pay whatever BT offer for phone and broadband and decide to switch, can I take the mobiles with me or are they seen as separate contracts unlinked to the April price increases?

If I have to leave the mobile services with them because they're still within 12 months of starting and are not affected by April price rises then they'll both jump up £5 a month as I'll no longer have BT broadband.
  • wlam
    wlam Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 February 2017 at 1:49AM
    Just completed my BT minimum term for landline and Infinity 2, and the special offer from my BT online account quoted £45. I also called up twice to retention and best offer I got from them was £42 including price rise.

Must say previous years BT rententions had given me competitive deals to stay, but not time time, so I've now initiated a switch away to TalkTalk.

Mikeeuropa: I also have 3 BT mobile contracts, and although I didn't ask BT, I think these are treated separately and I expect I will need to see out the minimum terms for these (and then switch away). Fortunately for me the £100 cashback from switching to TalkTalk covers the additional price rise of these for leaving BT Broadband.
  • wlam
    Mikeeuropa: To add I did receive an email when I switched, and it stated for BT mobile:

You'll lose your BT Mobile discount when you move your broadband
    31 days after your BT broadband service ends, you'll lose the monthly discount you currently get on BT Mobile. We'll let you know before that happens, confirm the discount that we're removing and tell you the new price you'll pay for your plan.
  • Thanks for your input wlam. I guess I was wondering if the price rise rule actually gives you a right to move all your services without penalty. I've been thinking about it and, I'll have to dig out the "paperwork" to check, but I think I took out the first mobile all in the same deal as broadband and landline so it could be argued it was all one contract.

I guess it's a weaker argument for the second mobile as it was a separate transaction, but it could be argued that it was an expansion/addition to the contract I had in place.

No doubt there's a mountain of small print somewhere that would have the answer but I was hoping there might be either a friendly BT employee hanging around or someone who has had the time to read through the mountain :)
  • wlam
    Hi Mikeeuropa. you may be on to something there:

Looking at the BT mobile T&C's (sorry forum won't let me post links yet), but there easy to find, there is this paragraph:

17. When you get other services or equipment from us
    We often sell a number of services together. We might give a discount, benefit or offer if you (or someone in your home) take more than one service from us. If you get any of these discounts, benefits or offers and then end any of the other services, we may have to increase the charges for the service. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you when you (or someone else) contact us to end the other service. However, we won't increase the charges and you’ll keep getting the discount, benefit or offer during the rest of your minimum term if:
    you or someone else in your house ends one of the other services as described in clauses 14b, 14d and 14e; or
    you end the BT Broadband service because of a change to it which gives you the right to leave.

The last few sentences of this are key, and I interpret that to mean that if I left BT Broadband because of the price rise (i.e.the change which gives me the right to leave), then I would not lose the BT mobile discount for the rest of the minimum term of the BT mobile contracts.

Going to be interesting what BT tells me about my BT Mobile prices in a few weeks...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback