Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 May 2016 at 6:53PM
    Options
    This week I applied for the Fair FX pre paid card through this website, and loaded up £600 + so am eligible for an extra £20, which I understand is by a voucher. Does anyone know when I get this voucher. The card has arrived already.
    They will have given you £620 worth of euros or dollars. (Or +£20 worth on whatever you bought.)
    Evolution, not revolution
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    They will have given you £620 worth of euros or dollars. (Or +£20 worth on whatever you bought.)

Thanks eDicky, however on the Fair FX website it says 'This will be added to your FairFX account as a voucher, which you must redeem' so I don't think it is automatically added. It seems I need a voucher to redeem.

Joosing
  • beth_wallis
    Options
    Hi,

Me and two friends are inter-railing through Eastern Europe in the next month. Most of the accomodation, transport is pre-paid and booked, but we are having a problem with regards to the best way to spend.
    A lot of the countries in this section of Europe tend to have their own currencies, so we aren't quite sure what would be best.
    The question is do we withdraw all money before setting off and convert it to respective currencies before we travel? Problems being: budgeting, emergencies etc
    Or, the other option, do we get a pre-paid travel card and what are the means of doing so?
    Or finally, do we use our own cards from our respective banks to withdraw along the way? Obviously taking into consideration the withdrawal fees, and bank discrepencies?

It would be really great if someone could recommend to us the best way to spend whilst out and about in several different countries.

Thanks in advance!
  • eDicky
    Options
    The question is do we withdraw all money before setting off and convert it to respective currencies before we travel?.
    This would be the worst option, you would lose on the exchange rate buying the currencies and then changing back what you don't use.

Unless the cards you already have are suitable, it would be well worth getting better ones:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Me and two friends are inter-railing through Eastern Europe in the next month. Most of the accomodation, transport is pre-paid and booked, but we are having a problem with regards to the best way to spend.
    A lot of the countries in this section of Europe tend to have their own currencies, so we aren't quite sure what would be best.
    The question is do we withdraw all money before setting off and convert it to respective currencies before we travel? Problems being: budgeting, emergencies etc
    Or, the other option, do we get a pre-paid travel card and what are the means of doing so?
    Or finally, do we use our own cards from our respective banks to withdraw along the way? Obviously taking into consideration the withdrawal fees, and bank discrepencies?

It would be really great if someone could recommend to us the best way to spend whilst out and about in several different countries.

Thanks in advance!

Pop into a Metro Bank branch and pick up their debit cards on the spot. No withdrawal fees and no 'bank discrepancies'.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all
    Are these travel money cards Chip and PIN or do they require a signature? I just ask as I can't use Chip and PIN and I have a Chip and Sign debit card but the bank it's attached to have terrible exchange rates. I will need a card as I'm not able to do cash for the same reason I hold a Chip and Sign card (learning difficulties) but if C&P was the only option I would have to ask OH to help me.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • TrilceAC
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm going to travel the other way. I'm from Spain and I'm going to visit UK next month. I understand that this forum is meant to people from UK who travel abroad, but the post about Prepaid Travel Cards has been so formative that I wanted to ask for advise.

I'm considering to get the Revolut card, but, do I have any better option to upload EURs and pay GBPs? What if I get some cash on ATMs? Are there comissions from the ATMs or can I find comission-free ATMs?

Any advice would help. Thanks,
    Carlos
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    TrilceAC wrote: »
    I'm considering to get the Revolut card, but, do I have any better option to upload EURs and pay GBPs? What if I get some cash on ATMs? Are there comissions from the ATMs or can I find comission-free ATMs?
    The Revolut card is a good choice, just be aware of the fees if you'll be withdrawing over £500. Most ATMs don't charge any fees just make sure you don't allow them to do the currency conversion (always ensure the card is charged in pounds).
  • eDicky
    Options
    TrilceAC wrote: »
    I'm considering to get the Revolut card, but, do I have any better option to upload EURs and pay GBPs?
    ¡Bienvenido al forum, Carlos! Revolut should be ideal for your UK visit, we have no other cards that can be loaded with euros. It is accepted more or less everywhere for payment, the same as a credit card. Sometimes a small shop might charge extra for a purchase below £5 or £10, then you can use cash. Check that your card is working before traveling, bring a few cash euros and/or your bank card as backup, and let us know how it goes.
  • David_Clifford
    Options
    Just want to know which is the best pre-loaded sterling cash card for use outside Europe and why? At the moment I have a CaxtonFX pre-loaded sterling cash card for payments to hotels, fuel, restaurants etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback