CCJ I didn't know about (and don't owe)

Please could someone advise me what to do.

I've recently received a letter from a debt collection agency, who tracked me down to my current address (not that I was hiding). They are saying that I have a CCJ against me, which was filed in Nov 2006.

Having looked into this, it appears that the CCJ was awarded to a gym that I used to belong to, as they said that I hadn't given them the 30 days notice to quit, which I was obliged to. Now, first of all, I did - I wrote to them in February 2006 telling them that when my years contract came to an end, I would be cancelling. I sent the letter by recorded deliver, as they specified that I must. I then cancelled my bank's standing order after my last payment had been paid in May.

At around the same time I moved house, and thought nothing more of it until now. It appears that the CCJ was awarded against me, even though I knew nothing about this (and had no opportunity to oppose), as the papers had been sent to my previous address. Unfortunately, I no longer have the proof of posting to show that I did write and cancel my membership. Even so, is there anything I can do to get this judgement overturned?

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    The court may agree to set aside the default judgment if you did not send in a reply form within the time limit if it thinks:
    you have a real chance of a successful defence to the claim; or
    you have a 'good reason' to set aside the judgment e.g. where you did not get the papers through the post.

Full factsheet here

There's a £65 fee.
  • meld_2
    meld_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks for the link! It looks like that's what I'll have to do - though I'm not overly happy about having to pay £65 for the privilege. Especially since the original 'debt' is only for about £50! The CCJ itself is only for £180... And even then it's still got to go back to court - and since I no longer have the proof of posting, there's no guarantee that I'll win.

It might just be easier to pay the CCJ, but then I guess it'll still be on my record.

:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport