PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• Oh Thank you Kate I am learning all the time, I will tell DGD

Hope the house is going well

Much love

Candlelightx
  • Woohoo we won the pub quiz tonight which given how dire the questions were is a miracle in itself. Another £20 to go to the christmas fund, can only be good!!!
  • FUDDLE if you decide to come over and join us I want to be the first one to say welcome to the family, we'd be delighted to have you as a member of this oh so friendly little bunch. Everyone is so nice and kind, you'll be at home here, hope you do, Lyn xxx.
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2015 at 7:21PM
    Good evening all,

It has been a damp and dismal day today, a pity because Friday was beautiful.

Went to the hairdressers this morning, so feel fit to face the world, stopped off in town and bought myself 2 long sleeve T shirts. I know Lyn was talking about vests on another thread, and when the weather is this cold I wear a camisole underneath whatever I am wearing which helps keep me warm. My mother insisted we wore vests and a liberty bodice which I will say was pretty uncomfortable. My b**bs grew over night when I was about 12 and of course the bodice flattened everything. In the end I used to pretend I wore them, and just put them in the wash when required even though they hadn't been worn. My Mum was pretty canny so I don't think I got one over on her.

DD is driving well now, went to physio on Friday and he says she can walk around her flat without her crutch. She is still a bit nervous because her balance isn't what it should be but she is going to use a walking stick I bought her. I think it is all a matter of confidence.

I am not sure whether we will be having Junior now, DGD1 wants him (she lives with boyfriend and his parents) and they have all said they would like a cat, so we will see. I really don't mind because I know she loves him and will look after him. Will keep you posted, but thank you all for your suggestions.

FTM I hope you are all OK, any news on treatment for Simon's arm? Please give the girls a hug from me

SM hope you are well, and have you reached a solution regarding the interlopers?

AOT are you OK? Come and visit sometime.

VJs Mum I expect you are really busy at this time of year, no doubt looking forward to having DD home for Easter.

Kate thank you for your suggestions regarding Flora I am learming all the time.

Hoglet are you OK, how did the swaps party go?

Fuddle, as Lyn says we are a small band of posters on this thread and you are very welcome. I don't think we ever talk about anything controversial, just what is happening in our lives, ask and give advice if needed and really take an interest in each other lives without being nosey.

It will be a quiet day tomorrow for us I think. Himself put the Dyson round whilst I was at the hairdressers so just a bit of washing to do and probably a little baking.

Take care everyone and keep warm

Much love

Candlelightx
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Very kind of you, thank you. :)

Are you absolutely sure? I mean I don't know for sure what a liberty bodice is but it sounds like a contraption that was designed to be uncomfortable!

I remember being 10 year old in the last year of junior school and being really rather well developed up top if you get my meaning. I really needed a bra but my mam thought it would be seen as me being a floozie so i kept on with the vests. I had to walk with my arms folded over my chest to stop the bounce. It was horrible.
  • Hi Fuddle,

An instrument of torture, that's what it was :)

It was a fleece lined undergarment, with buttons all the way down, which fitted to the waist and was sleeveless. I think, and I am not too sure about this, the ones to fit bigger girls had suspenders, but I might have dreamed that. I suppose because the winters were so cold, (we didn't wear them in the summer,) and no central heating, it was Mum's way of making sure we were well insulated, but as I said if you had any chest at all it just flattened it.

Candlelightx
  • Hiya Petal, welcome home, I can discribe a liberty bodice perfectly it was a very snug fitting undergarment like a cross between a vest and a waistcoat made of thick white knitted cotton fabric with a fleecy inside and had dozens of tiny white buttons right down the front that took forever to do up, particularly if you were late for school and it was worn over an airtex vest. You are quite right CANDLELIGHT the ones for 11 up had suspenders on them and came down slightly lower than the childrens ones. The stockings however were 'Lisle' stockings and sometimes 60 denier which was like great grandma wore!!! Our school uniform when I started at the Technical School in 1959 included 80 denier stockings in a colour called Sungold from M&S and cost 7/6d a pair. They were AWFUL!!! and you're oh so right, very uncomfortable but on the plus side warm!!!
  • fuddle
    I'm picturing a corset without boning? Were they pull on, tied, buttoned? It sounds awfully uncomfy... in fact I am surprised mother didn't send me down that route :rotfl: Would they have been around in the 80's?

Ah buttoned, thanks Lyn :) Sounds like you have graphically memorised every inch :eek:
  • Softer than a corset because they were a childrens item but very much constricting in the same way. Loads of tiny buttons down the front like in a cardigan, but so many of them, work for tiny fingers. I don't remember ever seeing one after mid 60s but I was a teenager then and caught up in all that teenage stuff so I didn't have much if anything to do with younger kiddlers. They did help keep us warm though, no centrl heating and a coal fire in one room only in the house meant we did need extra layers. Top layer was always a home knitted chunky cardi or jumper and I used to see unravelled and reused smaller ones knitted together in a bigger size for years!
  • fuddle
    My grandma used to knit my school uniform 2 piece. The skirt would have elastic weaved through the top and knotted. The buttons has a 4 pronged star burst pattern on them. Those were the days. I don't have any pictures of my childhood but I have in my mind he picture of me in my knitted grey school uniform on my 6th birthday... no front teeth, straggly hair and grinning from ear to ear with my very new doll. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure